Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

“ No more PL teams in the Champions League “

Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:52 pm

Arsenal and Manchester City have both been knocked out of the Champions League, leaving no Premier League teams left in the competition.

Manchester City lost 4-3 on penalties to Real Madrid, after a 1-1 draw. The first leg in Madrid finished 3-3.

Arsenal drew their first leg 2-2 but lost 1-0 away to be knocked out by Bayern Munich.

In the other quarter finals, Borussia Dortmund and PSG won.

Champions League semi finals

Borussia Dortmund v PSG

Real Madrid v Bayern Munich

Re: “ No more PL teams in the Champions League “

Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:42 pm

Man c only themselves to blame at one point in extra time they were camped on Madrids penalty area but refused to have a shot or put cross directly into area wasted 5 mins without effort on goal! As for silvas penalty seen a stronger back pass than his shot straight at keeper ..

Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:03 pm

pembroke allan wrote:Man c only themselves to blame at one point in extra time they were camped on Madrids penalty area but refused to have a shot or put cross directly into area wasted 5 mins without effort on goal! As for silvas penalty seen a stronger back pass than his shot straight at keeper ..

Agree, they were playing well but didn’t test Madrid’s goalkeeper through extra time. Silva’s penalty was embarrassing.

Madrid defended well.

I actually wanted Madrid to win by the end because TNT’s coverage was ridiculously biased in Man City’s favour.

Bellingham is some player, maybe even the best in the world, and I can see them winning the Champions League mainly because of him.

Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:00 am

Looks like being a pretty awful season in Europe for English teams. There will be the argument that they've struggled because the league is far more competitive than other countries, which I believe has some legs. However this season I think there our 3/4 pretty weak teams in the league and how poor United and Chelsea have been counter acts the argument this season.
Also I think PL teams should be making the semi finals of the conference league as a minimum give the money they spend and the strength of the rest of the teams in that competition.

Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:56 am

Looks like only top 4 will qualify for champions league with Germany the beneficiaries of this with extra place....what I saw of games was more about tactics being wrong than anything else...