Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Would Bulut have played Tomlin

Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:07 pm

Not a stick to beat Erol with, Warnock ( :king: ) bought Tomlin and shipped him out and Harris got a tune out of him.

I started this response on the Colwill thread but thought it was a stand-alone. The point I was going to make was, in this rigid 4231 even Ramsey who was Champions League level hasn't always shone and he is a midfielder who is attacking, whereas at this stage in his career, I think Rubin is a forward or a different type of player to Rambo and more similar to Tomlin (nowhere near yet).

Do you think EB would have started Tomlin if Rambo wasn't available?

Re: Would Bulut have played Tomlin

Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:41 pm

I think probably would have but not 90mins! What city lack at moment is a player to replace Rambo and Tomlin is as near the same type of player one that pushes forward not backwards.

Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:58 pm

pembroke allan wrote:I think probably would have but not 90mins! What city lack at moment is a player to replace Rambo and Tomlin is as near the same type of player one that pushes forward not backwards.

I also think that we have no Rambo replacement and that's kind of obvious. He is a Champions League level attacking goalscoring midfielder who returned to his hometown, when fit he is levels better than anyone else in our squad. So we either have to go for work rate = Wintle or Passing ability = Colwill or ability to receive the ball and not give it away = Turnbull.

Bulut is effective and so was Warnock who wanted efficiency and workrate over that x factor skill of Tomlin, made me think whether Bulut is a million miles different from Warnock, he just wants to keep the ball in places where Warnock wouldn't

Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:03 pm

We have enough lazy players, wouldn’t want another one like Tomlin anywhere near the first eleven.

So no he wouldn’t and rightly so.

Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:10 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:We have enough lazy players, wouldn’t want another one like Tomlin anywhere near the first eleven.

So no he wouldn’t and rightly so.

Stole a living from us and showed no shame...! :oops:

Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:26 pm

Absolutely no chance. His work ethic and respect for the club was dreadful.

Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:56 pm

Brezza wrote:Absolutely no chance. His work ethic and respect for the club was dreadful.

Agree - just to add Tomlin was hardly ever fit to start or be in the match day squad .

Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:19 am

llan bluebird wrote:Not a stick to beat Erol with, Warnock ( :king: ) bought Tomlin and shipped him out and Harris got a tune out of him.

I started this response on the Colwill thread but thought it was a stand-alone. The point I was going to make was, in this rigid 4231 even Ramsey who was Champions League level hasn't always shone and he is a midfielder who is attacking, whereas at this stage in his career, I think Rubin is a forward or a different type of player to Rambo and more similar to Tomlin (nowhere near yet).

Do you think EB would have started Tomlin if Rambo wasn't available?

I don't think Bulut would have stood for the "loveable maverick" persona he seemed to enjoy and would have very quickly been out the door.While were on the subject of past players I think even Whitts as good as he was would have had a wake up call with this fella.Even now I know people still drool over him but as we all also know he could often go missing in a game and Bulut would have not stood for that.

Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:01 am

Tomlin would of been Disciplined and thrown out the club sooner with his big headed arrogant attitude

Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:45 am

Wouldnt have got him out of Greggs anyway

Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:11 pm

Whitts would have provided the spark in midfield this team needs. My only concern would be Bulut trying to stifle his natural instincts by shouting.."track back, defend" etc in his ear!

I cannot recall any other City midfielder who scored 26 goals in a single season - he'd be first name on team sheet in his prime.

Tomlin: all the creative talent but wrong temperament and attitude on too many occasions.

Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:19 pm

Yep.. probably as a left back

Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:41 pm

Tuna Pasta Bake wrote:Whitts would have provided the spark in midfield this team needs. My only concern would be Bulut trying to stifle his natural instincts by shouting.."track back, defend" etc in his ear!

I cannot recall any other City midfielder who scored 26 goals in a single season - he'd be first name on team sheet in his prime.

Tomlin: all the creative talent but wrong temperament and attitude on too many occasions.

Well, lets be honest Malky tried to stifle Whitts as an attacking force and did so in general but built a team around his talents and hid the things he couldn't do well.
Malky's reputation never really recovered after battling a billionaire and losing but I think he was never recognised for his adaptation of tactics to fit our different talents, instead on the almost obligatory off the shelf 4231 of today