Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

wow former player josh murphy

Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:59 pm

JOSH MURPHY'S red-hot form has attracted interest from five Championship clubs and the MLS.

The twin brother of Newcastle ace Jacob scored and set up two in Oxford United's 5-0 thumping of Peterborough on Saturday - and is available on a free transfer this summer.

Scouts from Southampton, West Brom, QPR, Sunderland and Hull along with Minnesota were present at the Kassam Stadium, with the 29-year-old out of contract at the end of the season.

The winger has netted six times in his last 12 League One matches to fire Oxford into the play-off spots.

U's boss Des Buckingham said: "He's a wonderful player. I’m delighted to see how happy he is enjoying his football."

But unless Oxford win promotion to the Championship, they are braced for talisman Murphy to move on in the summer.

Buckingham added:"He’s very settled and if he keeps performing that way, I’m sure he’ll attract interest.”

Murphy once cost an £11million transfer fee when Cardiff paid Norwich that sum of money in 2018.

He arrived at Oxford on a two-year deal in July 2022.

And his scintillating form is a major reason they are so well-placed to win a play-off place.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: wow former player josh murphy

Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:03 pm

A big NO thank you

Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:19 pm

And people on here moan about colwill ffs

Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:26 pm

He was a bit of a snowflake - attitude all wrong. Loads of talent but perhaps League 1 is his ceiling.

Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:27 pm

Looked a great player on YouTube when we signed him for £11m.

Lesson learned I hope.

His brother is much better.

Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:36 pm

Could have been an all time City great (along with Tomlin) if he d been bothered to apply himself. His improvement in form shows he s now matured and nearer the end of his career than the start.
Some one should pick up a very good player here. But not for us after his previous stint.

Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:42 pm

Nice lad, I think he needs to be totally comfortable in his surrounding and life. We are a typical short termism hire and fire championship club, has any of our managers ever "loved" him? Warnock got some sort of tune out of him

I don't know but its a tough singular life being a pro footballer, not everyone is cut out for it

Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:59 pm

Good Luck with this one to the 5 clubs :shock:

Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:05 am

kyle08 wrote:JOSH MURPHY'S red-hot form has attracted interest from five Championship clubs and the MLS.

The twin brother of Newcastle ace Jacob scored and set up two in Oxford United's 5-0 thumping of Peterborough on Saturday - and is available on a free transfer this summer.

Scouts from Southampton, West Brom, QPR, Sunderland and Hull along with Minnesota were present at the Kassam Stadium, with the 29-year-old out of contract at the end of the season.

The winger has netted six times in his last 12 League One matches to fire Oxford into the play-off spots.

U's boss Des Buckingham said: "He's a wonderful player. I’m delighted to see how happy he is enjoying his football."

But unless Oxford win promotion to the Championship, they are braced for talisman Murphy to move on in the summer.

Buckingham added:"He’s very settled and if he keeps performing that way, I’m sure he’ll attract interest.”

Murphy once cost an £11million transfer fee when Cardiff paid Norwich that sum of money in 2018.

He arrived at Oxford on a two-year deal in July 2022.

And his scintillating form is a major reason they are so well-placed to win a play-off place.

It’s possible that the failed Murphy and Cornelius signings, big money for our club, was the beginning of Tans decline in enthusiasm and ambition in our club. He still brings it up in the rare occasions he’s bothered to communicate with us.

Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:14 am

I keep an eye on Oxfords results, they have four ex City players there. Glad to see Josh Murphy and Mark Harris doing well.

Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:42 am

I live in Oxfordshire and watch Oxford a lot.

Most of the time he has been at Oxford he has been a complete waste of money and been injured or left out for poor performances.

However his partner has just had a baby, he is settled and the fans are on his side and he is levels above league one when he is playing like this. He is significantly better than any of our wingers when on his top form and I include Grant in that. He has two feet, pace, can go inside or outside, has a great cross and a really good shot. He scored an 80 yard solo goal last week. His skills and pace have improved as his confidence in his mind and body have improved.

A player like Murphy will never thrive at Cardiff as there are too many fans who get on his back and he is a confidence player. He is playing like he played under Warnock for a brief period and like he played under McCarthy which was also far too brief. Warnock signed him and Reid after both had stellar seasons for their clubs the year before.

Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:42 am

I thought Josh Murphy was one of the most talented players we've ever had but I weirdly couldn't stand him. Reminds me a little like Bowler in that he's very good attacking and running at players but there is absolutely nothing else there to his game, especially defensively (where they are both just plain lazy)...and in the modern game with the high press and all, you've got to have a bit about u defensively. You've got to get stuck in and harass and tackle.

Found him so frustrating to watch and his confidence slowly but surely dipped with us. He was awful by the time he left us.

Good luck to him I suppose but I'd never have him back here.

Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:09 am

Maccydear wrote:I live in Oxfordshire and watch Oxford a lot.

Most of the time he has been at Oxford he has been a complete waste of money and been injured or left out for poor performances.

However his partner has just had a baby, he is settled and the fans are on his side and he is levels above league one when he is playing like this. He is significantly better than any of our wingers when on his top form and I include Grant in that. He has two feet, pace, can go inside or outside, has a great cross and a really good shot. He scored an 80 yard solo goal last week. His skills and pace have improved as his confidence in his mind and body have improved.

A player like Murphy will never thrive at Cardiff as there are too many fans who get on his back and he is a confidence player. He is playing like he played under Warnock for a brief period and like he played under McCarthy which was also far too brief. Warnock signed him and Reid after both had stellar seasons for their clubs the year before.

Glad to hear he's got his confidence back and playing well again. I wish him all the best in the rest of his career.

You are spot on about Cardiff fans getting on his back, we have a history of doing that to these type of players. You've only got to look at how Zaha was treated. and look how his career went. :banghead:

Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:20 pm

What a surprise an upturn in form when his contract is due to expire??

Tomlin spent his whole career doing this !!

Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:20 pm

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:What a surprise an upturn in form when his contract is due to expire??

Tomlin spent his whole career doing this !!

Very much this.

He’s their joint highest paid player with a midfielder they have called Cameron Branagan.

Reminds me so much of Graham Kavanagh does Branagan. Class him.