Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

If all our players played to their full potential

Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:59 pm

Honestly, where do you think this squad would end up, quality wise, with the perfect formation for the players we have.

For me, we are probably hanging on to top ten by our fingernails and can’t keep blaming the manager.

Ultimately he will be the fall guy but our problems are far deeper than Erol Bulut

Re: If all our players played to their full potential

Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:48 am

I think the manager gets them to play to their full potential.

All our better players are defensive in nature though. Keeper,NG, Goutas, Phillips, McGuiness, Ralls, Wintle, Siopis.

The million dollar question is if you gave him Kevin DeBruyne and Grealish would he get them to play to their potential? Not sure he'd know what to do with KDB and Jack would make a crap second fullback. :D

Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:48 am

If Warnock had this group of players we would be higher than 11th in the table.

Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:00 am

mugsy wrote:If Warnock had this group of players we would be higher than 11th in the table.

120% and we'd have edge of seat football not dull boring crab sh*& :bluescarf: e

Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:08 am

Not even warnock would do better with this team, it's a lower end table team some players even league 1.

I think the best out of them has already been done

Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:26 am

Wiggy wrote:
mugsy wrote:If Warnock had this group of players we would be higher than 11th in the table.

120% and we'd have edge of seat football not dull boring crab sh*& :bluescarf: e

The same Warnock that likes hoofball?

Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:31 am

kyle08 wrote:Not even warnock would do better with this team, it's a lower end table team some players even league 1.

It's not a lower end table team, we are currently 11th, and as the old saying goes, the table doesn't lie.

We are 11th playing dull, predictable, defensive football and every team we play since November knows this.

With an attack minded manager this team would be pushing play offs.

Look at the games we lost at home, Brum, QPR, Sunderland, Preston, Norwich (who were 18th at the time) and draws against Plymouth and Blackburn. All of which we could and should have won. We threw the towel in before the ball was kicked at home to Leicester and Leeds and away to Southampton and Norwich. Again, an attack minded manager would have got many points from all these games listed.

Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:42 am

MikeO76 wrote:
kyle08 wrote:Not even warnock would do better with this team, it's a lower end table team some players even league 1.

It's not a lower end table team, we are currently 11th, and as the old saying goes, the table doesn't lie.

We are 11th playing dull, predictable, defensive football and every team we play since November knows this.

Look at the games we lost at home, Brum, QPR, Sunderland, Preston, Norwich (who were 18th at the time) and draws against Plymouth and Blackburn. All of which we could and should have won. We threw the towel in before the ball was kicked at home to Leicester and Leeds and away to Southampton and Norwich. Again, an attack minded manager would have got many points from all these games listed.

most of these players played either last season of for rubbish clubs, the table dont lie because the manager got the best he could out of this rubbish team

Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:55 am

kyle08 wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:

most of these players played either last season of for rubbish clubs, the table dont lie because the manager got the best he could out of this rubbish team

Why do you insist this manager could do better with different players. On what do you base this on, have you scrutinised his play as manager of his other teams. He was relatively successful at Fenerbahçe but hear the football was boring so he got released. Do you enjoy yourself when watching defensive football played at home and watching us being outplayed again and again often by relegation threatened teams or teams on a poor run of form? A relatively good position in the league has been achieved admittedly especially compared to the last two seasons but we deserve to be entertained.

Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:19 am

kyle08 wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:

7 out of the starting 11 are Bulut's players.

Yep the table doesn't lie, so you agree we're not a lower end team?

You are however missing my point. Which is, this squad would be pushing for play offs with an attack minded manager and not a dull, defensive, predictable one.

Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:24 am

bluelover wrote:
kyle08 wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:

Why do you insist this manager could do better with different players. On what do you base this on, have you scrutinised his play as manager of his other teams. He was relatively successful at Fenerbahçe but hear the football was boring so he got released. Do you enjoy yourself when watching defensive football played at home and watching us being outplayed again and again often by relegation threatened teams or teams on a poor run of form? A relatively good position in the league has been achieved admittedly especially compared to the last two seasons but we deserve to be entertained.

I'm the same mate. I don't understand this love for Bulut.

I understand those that think we won't get better under Tan, although I think we could, but I definitely don't understand how anyone can say he's done a great job this season.

Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:40 am

Bulut lovers are in for a shock if they are deluded enough to think he is adaptable, and has an attacking , fluid more entertaining style of play in his locker. He stays, this is how we play. Predictable slow build from the back sideways with lack of runners and creativity. He knows no other way he’s had umpteen chances to prove us wrong. A much improved win ratio and points tally, maybe, mostly achieved on the road with better players than previous years, in the weakest championship season outside of the top 5/6 I have known. Turnbull, Grant, Colwill, Ramsey and O Dowda when fit in the same team I would have liked to have seen , pressing and playing forward. Siopis and a back 4 taking care of defensive duties. Full backs push up to offer width, then Siopis/Ralls drops back just in front of the centre backs just like medel. Maybe a 4321 , 3,5,1,1 a 4,4,1,1 or a high line 4141. Anything but this stubborn 4231. Which isn’t allowing our players to play to their full potential. Variety = more homework for our next opponents. Currently there’s no point them scouting us, they know what they are going to face up against. High press against us, we are not good, they play out in the first two lines no probs as we have no press or counter press, and second balls we are slow to. I just don’t want another season of it. It’s boring. If he stays. I hope he proves me wrong. I don’t see that he has any plan b

Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:04 pm

Good points on both sides.

I’m neither for Bulut or against him, I’m in the strange middle ground that people seem to forget exists nowadays.

I can see the benefits and the drawbacks of Bulut and his style of play.

The one thing that I do know is that our club needs stability and changing managers, players and styles of play hasn’t and doesn’t work long term.

Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:32 pm

Underhill1927 wrote:Good points on both sides.

I’m neither for Bulut or against him, I’m in the strange middle ground that people seem to forget exists nowadays.

The one thing that I do know is that our club needs stability and changing managers, players and styles of play hasn’t and doesn’t work long term.

I agree it’s all about appointing the right manager in the first place though. You can stick with Bulut for another couple of years but do you really want to watch the type of football he plays. He’s been found out this season after a good initial impact and doesn’t have any plan B let alone a C or a D. If a manager like Cooper was to offered a 5 year contract then I would feel comfortable knowing we would be heading in the right direction, with Bulut I just don’t see it.

Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:57 pm

bluelover wrote:

I agree it’s all about appointing the right manager in the first place though. You can stick with Bulut for another couple of years but do you really want to watch the type of football he plays. He’s been found out this season after a good initial impact and doesn’t have any plan B let alone a C or a D. If a manager like Cooper was to offered a 5 year contract then I would feel comfortable knowing we would be heading in the right direction, with Bulut I just don’t see it.

Yeah I get that.

Watching Arsenal now and the football they’re playing is immense. There were some of them that wanted Arteta out at one point mind. Whoever the manager is they need time and they won’t get it under Tan, or our fanbase at the moment

Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:29 pm

Agree bulut can't get them firing every week we are so inconsistent

Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:53 pm

wez1927 wrote:

Agree bulut can't get them firing every week we are so inconsistent

If you are brave then you'll beat us. One of two ways

1- Commit to a press, we fold as we are not technical enough with the ball to draw you in and break it, then we are too slow to do anything if we do

2- Keep your wide players high and wide. Whether it is a wingback or wingers we play a very narrow back four so our wingers are obliged to mark their wide players so we have 8 defensive players

If you don't do that we'll keep it tight and probably beat you. The top teams do either one.

Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:18 pm

Lots of football manager uefa A licences on this thread.

Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:20 pm

I typically jinxed Arsenal as they lost haha

Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:29 pm

Roath_Blue wrote:Lots of football manager uefa A licences on this thread.

It doesn't take someone with an UEFA A licence to work out what the problem is with Bulut's tactics.

Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:40 pm

Wiggy wrote:

Our necks would also be in agony again.

By the way, he wouldn’t have us any higher.

His strength is set pieces, we’re already the best in the league at set pieces.

Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:42 pm

In answer to the OP, these players are playing at their full potential.

There is no way this team is a top half team.

It’s a middle of the bottom half table.

We are pushing right at our potential which is why we need signings to bridge that gap to the top six.

Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:43 pm

Underhill1927 wrote:
bluelover wrote:

Yeah I get that.

Watching Arsenal now and the football they’re playing is immense. There were some of them that wanted Arteta out at one point mind. Whoever the manager is they need time and they won’t get it under Tan, or our fanbase at the moment

…. And they lost 2-0 at home to Villa.

Probably won’t win the league now despite being in a good position, same as last year.

Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:52 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
Wiggy wrote:

Other strength which made us top two was ability to get ball into opposition penalty area we were top 3 for that along with goals and chances created.... now we lack in all of those areas this season we had 62% possession but no end product ... our goal showed what we are capable off and not for 1st time strange how we only do it occasionally but shows our potential

Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:57 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
Wiggy wrote:

Other strength which made us top two was ability to get ball into opposition penalty area we were top 3 for that along with goals and chances created.... now we lack in all of those areas this season we had 62% possession but no end product ... our goal showed what we are capable off and not for 1st time strange how we only do it occasionally but shows our potential

That’s because we don’t have the players to play that game.

We will push on with Bulut next season, but we need three or four high quality signings.

Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:28 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
Wiggy wrote:

That’s because we don’t have the players to play that game.

We will push on with Bulut next season, but we need three or four high quality signings.

Ned I know we dont but if we put mind to it can still break quickly and play slick passing game like our goal Saturday..... did say previously what if bulut hot hose 3 players he wanted how different the season could gave been.