Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' CITY NOW MATHEMATICALLY SAFE AFTER TONIGHT '

Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:50 pm

After tonight we are mathematically safe. Sheff Wed, currently on 43 can only achieve a potential finish of 55 points with 4 games left, we are on 56.

Unless of course we get a points deduction. :laughing6:

Re: ' CITY NOW MATHEMATICALLY SAFE AFTER TONIGHT '

Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:58 pm

Mission accomplished.

Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:07 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Mission accomplished.

And to think that this season we really should have been playing in League 1 if t wasn't for Reading being docked points. Shocking. But it's great that based on that, whatever peoples view on Bulut is, that we have improved on what was a beyond unacceptable position last season and are safe.

Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:24 pm

GrangeEndStar wrote:

And to think that this season we really should have been playing in League 1 if t wasn't for Reading being docked points. Shocking. But it's great that based on that, whatever peoples view on Bulut is, that we have improved on what was a beyond unacceptable position last season and are safe.

Agree with all of that, thankfully no repeat of last year’s awful season.

We can debate Bulut’s future/tactics until we’re blue in the face but for now at least, we can all agree he’s completed the job he was brought in to do.

Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:28 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
GrangeEndStar wrote:

Agree with all of that, thankfully no repeat of last year’s awful season.

We can debate Bulut’s future/tactics until we’re blue in the face but for now at least, we can all agree he’s completed the job he was brought in to do.

Yep. And now as per usual it's over to Tan to decide his next move. And as per usual, the radio silence is deafening.

Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:49 am

GrangeEndStar wrote:

I really don't understand people who keep saying we should have been playing in League 1 this year if not for Reading's points deduction. The fact is last season we achieved safety with a few games to go and inevitably lost our competitive edge once this was achieved. In effect we had nothing left to play for and consequently failed to accrue many more points once we were safe. This tended to skew the final league positions.

Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:08 pm

MoodyBluebird wrote:
GrangeEndStar wrote:

I really don't understand people who keep saying we should have been playing in League 1 this year if not for Reading's points deduction. The fact is last season we achieved safety with a few games to go and inevitably lost our competitive edge once this was achieved. In effect we had nothing left to play for and consequently failed to accrue many more points once we were safe. This tended to skew the final league positions.

We finished on 49 points. Reading had a 6 point deduction and finished on 44 points

44 plus 6 is 50

Which is one more than 49

Which would make us bottom 3

Which would mean relegation and league 1 this season.

Glad to have been of help.

Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:32 pm

Roath_Blue wrote:
MoodyBluebird wrote:
GrangeEndStar wrote:

We finished on 49 points. Reading had a 6 point deduction and finished on 44 points

44 plus 6 is 50

You just beat me to it so have saved me an explanation of what is obvious to at least most of us. The only reason we are not presently a League 1 club is precisely because of that deduction. Which is an absolutely unacceptable position for the club to be in. Survival by a solitary single point.

What makes it even more unacceptable is that we really should now be in a similar position and shape to Brighton if the club had been run properly.

And so we all still await the Tan Plan for next season in the usual radio silence that we are all by now used to.

Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:00 pm

Roath_Blue wrote:
MoodyBluebird wrote:
GrangeEndStar wrote:

44 plus 6 is 50

Based on the nature of your reply, I assume the nuances of the results at the tail end of last season and how they impacted our final league position are way above your level of comprehension. To make it easy for you I cite the game at home to Huddersfield by which time we were already safe but they weren't and it showed in our level of performance. It is very likely that if the game had been as important to us as it was to them we quite probably would have seen a different result. The must win game for us was Rotherham away, which incidentally we won.

Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:05 pm

Ref: final points tally last season. You can look at it both ways (as described above with a touch of sarcasm thrown in).

From a pure maths viewpoint, if Reading weren't deducted the 6 points then yes, we'd have been looking at relegation.

However, looking at the details, you could argue Reading deserved the points penalty they received as they cheated and/or employed some creative accounting. So, fate decreed they finished on 44 points and that's that.

Conclusion being City stayed up because we played by the rules and accumulated enough points. So the League 1 'what if' argument is a little irrelevant.

Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:46 pm

Tuna Pasta Bake wrote:Ref: final points tally last season. You can look at it both ways (as described above with a touch of sarcasm thrown in).

From a pure maths viewpoint, if Reading weren't deducted the 6 points then yes, we'd have been looking at relegation.

However, looking at the details, you could argue Reading deserved the points penalty they received as they cheated and/or employed some creative accounting. So, fate decreed they finished on 44 points and that's that.

Conclusion being City stayed up because we played by the rules and accumulated enough points. So the League 1 'what if' argument is a little irrelevant.

It's all about opinions and I respect yours of course. But I think it's a very sobering fact that if it wasn't for relying on another teams points reduction to avoid relegation by a single point, we would now be a League 1 team. The table doesn't lie and I'm not going to nickle and dime about performances against scrag end stragglers at the season end. We were down.

The reason that I don't think it's irrelevant is that it shows how bad things were as a result of continued firefighting mismanagement from the top. And whilst Tan is still making all the key decisions, it won't change, which is a great concern in terms of realistically achieving sustainable premier league status.

Here we are again with just a few games left and with a manager who doesn't know what the plan is for next season, if we've got the finances for it or even whether he features in it. Do the same thing, get the same results. And it's a concern.

Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:22 pm

MoodyBluebird wrote:
Roath_Blue wrote:
MoodyBluebird wrote:
GrangeEndStar wrote:

44 plus 6 is 50

Based on the nature of your reply, I assume the nuances of the results at the tail end of last season and how they impacted our final league position are way above your level of comprehension. To make it easy for you I cite the game at home to Huddersfield by which time we were already safe but they weren't and it showed in our level of performance. It is very likely that if the game had been as important to us as it was to them we quite probably would have seen a different result. The must win game for us was Rotherham away, which incidentally we won.

No, our losses were because we were shite. We had a league one squad which is why we would have been relegated if it wasn't for them having their deductions.

The table doesn't lie. Maths doesn't lie.

Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:10 pm

Mathematically we can still make the play offs. :ayatollah:

Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:53 pm

Barryblubird wrote:Mathematically we can still make the play offs. :ayatollah:

:lol:

Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:54 pm

When it's all said and done, it's a season of solid progress.

Ups, downs, but ultimately as safe and stable as we've been for years.

Another big summer for us, as I think we could slip either way with a good or bad summer.

Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:15 pm

GrangeEndStar

Yes - agree. The club have been mismanaged by non football people who listen to no-one other than their own crazy thoughts.

And as you alluded City will continue to lurch from one crisis to the next because there is no knowledgeable DOF and not a sniff of a long term outlook / plan.

Sack the board and sell up Mr Tan.

Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:38 pm

Roath_Blue wrote:
MoodyBluebird wrote:
GrangeEndStar wrote:

44 plus 6 is 50

Let’s be fair we where safe before the Huddersfield game at home if that wasn’t the case do you think we would of downed tools in the way we did, I think not and I reckon we would of beat Huddersfield had we not been safe at that point.

Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:54 pm

thomas9990 wrote:
Roath_Blue wrote:
MoodyBluebird wrote:
GrangeEndStar wrote:

44 plus 6 is 50

Let’s be fair we where safe before the Huddersfield game at home if that wasn’t the case do you think we would of downed tools in the way we did, I think not and I reckon we would of beat Huddersfield had we not been safe at that point.

The problem is you’re talking about hypothetical situations.

You can really only go off facts, that is that we would have been in the bottom three if Reading hadn’t had points deducted.

By the way we were fortunate to beat Rotherham away (the game that secured our safety). We missed a penalty and the winner came very late on.

So there’s no guarantee we would have beaten Huddersfield had we not won the Rotherham game.