Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Scouting Networks

Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:36 am

I can't help but feel like our scouting set up is behind other teams in the league.

Looking at the Derby squad reminds me how many players we have brought in where it hasn't worked out over the last 5 or 6 years.

Other teams like Coventry (Gyokeres), Blackburn (Smodiks, Brereton-Diaz), Hull and even Sunderland are much better at finding a Bargain than City.

Re: Scouting Networks

Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:40 pm

Szmodics was signed for Peterborough. They took a chance on him and it’s worked out. We’ve taken a chance on lower league players like Adams, Watters and Eoin Doyle - they didn’t work out.

Sunderland have a policy of buying young players to sell them on for a profit. It’s lead to them cutting the age of their squad completely. An interesting approach which I don’t think will work in the long run (in terms of team performance).

Hull are having their best season for a while but they’ve had to spend a lot of money. A gamble gone wrong if they don’t get top six.

Brereton Diaz was another that cost money for Blackburn, they paid £7m for him. That’s a lot for a Championship club to spend. He also ran down his contract so they didn’t get a fee when he went to Villarreal last summer.

So although they all look good businesses from the outside, there’s a bit more to it when you look a little deeper.

Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:06 pm

Roath_Blue wrote:I can't help but feel like our scouting set up is behind other teams in the league.

Looking at the Derby squad reminds me how many players we have brought in where it hasn't worked out over the last 5 or 6 years.

Other teams like Coventry (Gyokeres), Blackburn (Smodiks, Brereton-Diaz), Hull and even Sunderland are much better at finding a Bargain than City.

NA don't be silly we scouted out "farmer dido" as we did'nt get moore as our main striker.

Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:53 pm

montyblue wrote:
Roath_Blue wrote:I can't help but feel like our scouting set up is behind other teams in the league.

NA don't be silly we scouted out "farmer dido" as we did'nt get moore as our main striker.

Well look on bright side monty we saved several million £££££s..... :lol:

Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:27 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
montyblue wrote:

Well look on bright side monty we saved several million £££££s..... :lol:[/quote

Allan
ok with saving on moore but what on earth where they thinking bringing in "farmer dido" mark harris did more on the pitch than this guy.

Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:43 pm

Dalman and Choo are our scouts I expect :bluebird:

Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:55 pm

I was in Cardiff today and was told we have unbelievable amount of scouts for our Accademy, great to heart, but they virtually only get paid if the kids ever make it.
But as to the first team we currently have NONE

Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:05 pm

Forever Blue wrote:I was in Cardiff today and was told we have unbelievable amount of scouts for our Accademy, great to heart, but they virtually only get paid if the kids ever make it.

Annis, we have NO scouts at all for the first team?

This is shocking and yet more evidence that VT and Dalman should be nowhere near a football club.

Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:14 pm

Roath_Blue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:I was in Cardiff today and was told we have unbelievable amount of scouts for our Accademy, great to heart, but they virtually only get paid if the kids ever make it.

Annis, we have NO scouts at all for the first team?

This is shocking and yet more evidence that VT and Dalman should be nowhere near a football club.

I took his comment to only be talking about the younger players scouts & not the senior team as that's what the OP was talking about. Can't see us having no first team scouts at all (I hope).

Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:42 pm

Judging by the donkey we had from spain
i would say we have no scouts.
And if there was a scout who looked at "farmer dido "rather than his history
he should be sacked immediately.