Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Are we the most underperforming team in the League

Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:44 pm

For a Capital City of Europe, with the potential for big crowds, and having had two tasters of the English Premier League; Are we the most underperforming team in the Country?

I'd highlight Everton, Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday, Birmingham and Bradford in the same boat, but I believe as a City, itn is criminal that we are not competing at a much higher level on a consistent basis.

Re: Are we the most underperforming team in the League

Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:07 pm

The team is under performing that's for sure.... Wouldn’t nessasarly say as a city that's true because football doesn't work that way.... but will say as a capital having a premier league club would raise profile of wales in General and a long spell at top table will undoubtedly put club on another level and with the likes of teams you mention.... what's needed is an organisation to take club over with a vision to catapult us forward.

Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:43 pm

I would most certainly agree with the final sentence. I would go as far as to say even if it was Tan with the vision, and moreover the football nous to carry it out

In my opinion Tan has neither...

Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:10 pm

Barclay1 wrote:I would most certainly agree with the final sentence. I would go as far as to say even if it was Tan with the vision, and moreover the football nous to carry it out

In my opinion Tan has neither...

I don't think he as either... funny enough had conversation with someone earlier on subject of Tan and money troubles "before thread on subject"... is this the beginning of the end for him at city?

Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:46 pm

Yes :bluebird:

Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:20 pm

The fact we are a capital city isn't really anything to do with it

Edinburgh is the capital of Scotland but celtic and rangers in Glasgow are the dominant force

London is the capital city of England but man united , city , Liverpool and Everton have dominated on a lot of occasions

Spurs are a huge club but they havnt won the league in years

Bradford is a really big city but they have never been up to much

Bournemouth , Watford , Luton all small places but have had Premier league football

It's not just tans fault that Cardiff City are not successful , the city of Cardiff, local business etc have never backed the club .....unless we are winning

There are far too many plastic Premier league fans in South Wales too

Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:36 pm

I too had heard from someone that I trust completely,( before I saw the thread on the subject) that Perhaps VT can no longer or is unable to commit to the enhancement of Cardiff City

Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:45 pm

Barclay1 wrote:I too had heard from someone that I trust completely,( before I saw the thread on the subject) that Perhaps VT can no longer or is unable to commit to the enhancement of Cardiff City

Jonny, watch this space on that one... :ayatollah:

Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:34 pm

Sven wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:I too had heard from someone that I trust completely,( before I saw the thread on the subject) that Perhaps VT can no longer or is unable to commit to the enhancement of Cardiff City

Very strange events, Sven?

Thread on this subject, I received info on it, Jonny has and now you put out cryptic clue ....

Like I said, is end in sight??

Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:07 am

No.

First of all, we’re not a big club. Attendances prove that.

Our stadium is only ever close to capacity for derby games, if we’re at the top of the league or in the PL.

The likes of Sheff Wed, Leeds, Sunderland, Southampton etc were all getting high crowds in League One.

Derby had over 30k at their game against Blackpool on Friday.

The truth is if we were at that level then we’d be lucky to get 12k.

Secondly, what we done over the last 30 years to say we are a club that deserve to be a top club?

We’ve had a couple of seasons in the PL, being relegated both times, and lost a couple of cup finals.

In the all time English league table, we are ranked 40th. That suggests we are about where we should be.

Birmingham, Stoke, Middlesbrough and QPR have much more of a right to say they are more underperforming than we are.

I would say we are a mid table Championship team and I can’t see any evidence that would suggest we should be anything different due to the size of our club.

Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:37 am

pembroke allan wrote:
Sven wrote:

Very strange events, Sven?

Thread on this subject, I received info on it, Jonny has and now you put out cryptic clue ....

Like I said, is end in sight??

Not cryptic, Allan. It's just my understanding that things are not so rosy in the background... :ayatollah:

Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:54 am

We are not a big club and mid table as you suggest is about right. The clubs you mentioned above built their fan base on year after year in old first division without struggling against relegation.

Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:02 am

A lot of interesting opinions.

Whereas at this moment the consencus is that we are not a big club, I'm of the opinion, that, marketed, run the right way, invested in, we really should be a regular Premier League side.

Whether the fan base comes or not, and it should, I like many have been at Ninian with crowds of sub 2000, it is the clubs foundation and structure and marketability that makes it a big club. I do believe we have only realised a fraction of our potential.

Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:08 am

Barclay1 wrote:A lot of interesting opinions.

Whereas at this moment the consencus is that we are not a big club, I'm of the opinion, that, marketed, run the right way, invested in, we really should be a regular Premier League side.

Whether the fan base comes or not, and it should, I like many have been at Ninian with crowds of sub 2000, it is the clubs foundation and structure and marketability that makes it a big club. I do believe we have only realised a fraction of our potential.

A big club in waiting J.If we go up and stayed up like Wolves the wheels would be in motion. :bluescarf:

Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:02 pm

We have the potential to be a top 6 club if we got backers like Man City,Chelsea or Newcastle ! When we were in the Premier League we had the 11th best attendances despite being in the bottom 3 for most of the season! If we were an established Premier League team we would be looking at 40k+ and if we were top 6 we could get 60k as we have a catchment area of 1 .5 million! I just wish Quatar or someone with real money would realise our potential and buy us!