Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Poland are a good side

Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:22 am

This match against Poland on Tuesday will be very tough.

They have some quality players.

Nothing needs to be said about the quality of Robert Lewandowski but they also have others.

Matty Cash has been doing well for Villa, although he was substituted early against Estonia so may be injured.

Zielinski is a regular starter for Napoli, Zalewski plays for Roma, Kiwior has played a lot for Arsenal this season and Szczesny is Juventus’ first choice goalkeeper.

They finished 3rd in their group, four points behind each of Albania and Czech Republic.

We last played them in September 2022 in the Nations League at CCS, they won 1-0.

Re: Poland are a good side

Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:25 am

I'd say they are the best team in the whole of the play-offs. If we defend like we did last night, we may be in trouble. Finland were toothless, but were carving us apart at times.

Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:33 am

Defensively we can be a bit shambolic and we're against the Finns with some keystone cops moments BUT Poland are beatable and we are due a win against them.

Wales and Poland are close in the world rankings but I'm hoping home advantage will get us over line.

If we don't, I think we'll be turning over a new Page.

Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:55 am

It's a shame. We're both good sides and should both be in the tournament already.

Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:10 pm

I can see Ramsey starting Tuesday to add a bit of control in the centre of the park. Doesn't have the legs of Jordan James but has composure and class to handle a big game like this will be needed for sure.

Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:18 pm

It is going to be a tense night in my household the Mrs uncle played for Poland in 74 world cup. This will be a very tough game for both teams

Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:27 pm

Thinkj last 6 games against them we've lost everyone but by just 1 goal so it's a winnable game if we get defence sorted out..... thought last night even at 3-1 still needed another goal to make sure as we looked that vulnerable.

Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:32 pm

taff555 wrote:I can see Ramsey starting Tuesday to add a bit of control in the centre of the park. Doesn't have the legs of Jordan James but has composure and class to handle a big game like this will be needed for sure.

No chance Ramsey will start.

Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:33 pm

pembroke allan wrote:Thinkj last 6 games against them we've lost everyone but by just 1 goal so it's a winnable game if we get defence sorted out..... thought last night even at 3-1 still needed another goal to make sure as we looked that vulnerable.

And yet Ward hardly had a shot to save.

Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:19 pm

It all depends on which hat page is wearing if he reverts like i think he will with his defensive hat on we will loose
He had a new hat on his head yesterday where he found it i don't know
but we played an attacking style
but i just cannot see him taking the game to poland he will allow to much respect like he did in the world cup playing the likes of england etc.

Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:20 pm

mugsy wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:Thinkj last 6 games against them we've lost everyone but by just 1 goal so it's a winnable game if we get defence sorted out..... thought last night even at 3-1 still needed another goal to make sure as we looked that vulnerable.

More down to Finland and their final ball ...Poland be lot more clinical that's for sure

Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:46 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
mugsy wrote:

More down to Finland and their final ball ...Poland be lot more clinical that's for sure

Agree.

Let’s be honest, if you give Lewandowski a clear chance then he will probably score.

Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:14 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
mugsy wrote:

Agree.

Let’s be honest, if you give Lewandowski a clear chance then he will probably score.

It's way page sets up the team that bothers me..... more defensive than I would like when not nessasary after we scored went back into normal 5/6 man defensive shape for next 20mins a better side would have taken advantage of this and it happens in every game...

Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:04 am

I have never been a three at the back fan. We lose a midfielder and unless the third center-half is Amapdu who can step into the midfield I think its a recipe for disaster against the better teams.

Neco is a wingback but Roberts is a box standard full back, I don't think we gain much.

I think he'll go with Kieffer until he gets booked and move BJ to the wing in place of Brookes who is a front foot player and i doubt we'll be on the front foot.

Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:28 am

WALES ARE AN EVEN BETTER SIDE :occasion5:
We were very good at times on Thursday but equally bad as well. offentively we were playing with only 10 players, Mepham's position meant that he was wandering around without a job to to and as a result we were then a player light in the midfield which gave the impression that the Finns were "carving us up". On the plus side we were very fluid in attack and that starting front 3 would scare any defence.

Page made a number of blunders on Thursday
1. not starting with Dan James ( Mepham was not needed)
2. he had the opportunity to give Rambo some game time in the 2nd half ( he maybe fit but not enough match fit) which would have set him up to have at least the first 45 minutes on Tuesday which is where the control on the game was lacking.
3. He only effectively only used 2 subs, with Tuesday night looming he should have withdrawn Wilson, Neco on 60 minutes as well.

All of that said, I believe that we have the firepower to beat Poland providing Page can get his act together, if nothing else Thursday proved that we have the tools to rip any defence wide open my only concern is Page himself. :!:

Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:11 am

taff555 wrote:I can see Ramsey starting Tuesday to add a bit of control in the centre of the park. Doesn't have the legs of Jordan James but has composure and class to handle a big game like this will be needed for sure.

The City pay his wages. We need Ramsey less than 72 hours later to play vs Sunderland. This Championship fixture should take priority over any Wales game. No way should he start on Tuesday. Rather, let him come on as an inspirational substitute late in that game and also probably for Cardiff on Good Friday. Starting him on Tuesday will mean he may not be able to play for our beloved club on which this forum is based.

City over Wales for me always.

Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:51 am

Win win.
Win - we qualify
Lose - goodbye Page

Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:08 pm

Yes - our defensive problems were all centred on Mepham, (who always seems to have one big mistake in him per match) and down our right (their left) where they kept targeting Connor Roberts who continually backed of the attacker allowing him to enter our penalty area with the ball at his feet with obvious danger of conceding a penalty!! I suppose if we want to push Ben Davies and Ethan Ampadu into a more midfield role and not play a flat back 4 then that's the price we have to pay.

I hope Page has spotted this too.

Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:44 am

'Biggest humiliation ever' - Poland's campaign so far -

Poland tend to start most qualifying campaigns with high expectations, and that was certainly the case this time after they had reached the last 16 of the 2022 World Cup.

In fact, the only two games the Poles lost in Qatar were against eventual champions Argentina, in the group stage, and runners-up France in the second round.

However, they lost their opening Euro 2024 qualifier to the Czech Republic in Fernando Santos' first game in charge.

Although Poland beat Albania next and showed some promise with a friendly win over Germany, they then suffered an embarrassing defeat away against group minnows Moldova.

"The game against Moldova was the biggest humiliation ever," says Polish journalist Maciej Kaliszuk of Przeglad Sportowy Onet.

"Poland had never been beaten in a competitive game against such a low-ranked team in the whole history of Polish football."

Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:44 am

When Poland followed that with another humbling loss in Albania, former Portugal manager Santos was sacked.

"It was a disaster," says Kaliszuk. "Santos was a huge disappointment.

"When he signed people were happy but quite soon we saw there was no chemistry between Santos and the players or the association.

"He was criticised, he was sacked and people were satisfied."

Santos was succeeded by current Poland boss Michal Probierz but there were further setbacks to come, most notably a 1-1 draw at home to Moldova.

Poland limped to third place in Group E, with Albania and the Czech Republic taking the automatic qualification spots.

But, like Wales, thanks to the Nations League, Poland had the back-up option of the play-offs and made light work of Estonia in their semi-final on Thursday.