Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Our biggest rivalry?

You may select 1 option

View results

Re: “ Biggest rivalry - Swansea or Bristol? “

Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:24 pm

SB 1927 wrote:Anyone who says Bristol are way off. Its Swansea. Always has been, always will be.

Hasn't always been, when I started supporting city in the 60's we went years without even playing Swansea, whereas we played Bristol city every year. I never gave the Jacks a thought until they came up through the divisions and started gobbing off at us through social media.

Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:25 pm

If I’m honest I prefer the fixture with Bristol city when both clubs are doing well both take big numbers to each other ground don’t forget Swansea where in the old third and fourth divisions. And only played us in welsh cup game in the 60s and 70s it was always Cardiff v Bristol I’m from port talbot so you would think I would say Swansea but even I dislike them I think it’s Bristol city for me we had some great games with over the last few years and the rivalry bewteen the fans could be of the scale

Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:44 pm

I've got pure hatred for the jacks and Bristol city in equal measure.

Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:55 pm

Bristol City growing up.. the Swansea rivalry became more intense for a period in the 80s, but this not so now.
Used to enjoy the train up to Swansea.. the lesser spotted Jack in those days.

Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:58 am

SB 1927 wrote:Anyone who says Bristol are way off. Its Swansea. Always has been, always will be.

Agree....

Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:31 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:Very interesting that it’s a close poll, I still say Bristol but agree that recently the rivalry with the jacks has got stronger.

Ned, your right it’s close, a litter of older lads remember the Bristol clubs really hating us in the 70’s / 80’s /90’s and us them hanging unbelievable rivalry. Swansea were a joke to us then.

Swansea have since become bigger rivals due to their obsession with us and our younger ones seeing them as our major rivals now.

Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:40 am

Now beyond doubt its Swansea, but I never did see them as the "enemy" in the 70's, I wasnt really aware of them it was Bristol, both City and Rovers even Swindon.