Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Sheff Utd tonight - how will this year’s promoted teams do?

Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:19 pm

Tonight:

Sheffield United 0-6 Arsenal

Burnley walked the Championship last season and Sheffield United joined them in the Premier League by finishing second. Luton won the play-offs.

Luton could stay up.

But both Burnley and Sheffield United have been beyond awful. Sheffield United are 3-0 down at home to Arsenal tonight after less than 15 minutes.

Will the teams who get promoted from the Championship this season do better?

Leicester, Ipswich, Leeds and Southampton are the clubs in the mix.

Sheffield United awful

Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:20 pm

Got me thinking would we really want to go up only to get battered each week ? .

Re: Sheffield United awful

Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:25 pm

4 down in 24 minutes

Sheff Utd 0-5 Down before Half Time...

Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:49 pm

...the premier league is grim.

Getting pumped week in/week out isn't fun. Barely a shot on target most games.

Burnley walked this division and are getting pumped.

Kudos to Luton, having a good go.

Do we really want a season of that again? :laughing6: The journey always beats the destination. :laughing6:

Re: Burnley & Sheff Utd - will promoted teams do better?

Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:51 pm

Half time:

Sheffield United 0-5 Arsenal

Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:53 pm

Just posted something similair. As insane as it sounds, id rather not go up. It's grim. :laughing6:

Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:58 pm

It's more about getting promoted and the riches of premier league? Relegated clubs kept premier squad with couple of exceptions so expect them to get promoted again so getting more money giving a boost for clubs finances again.... as for promoted clubs not spent much so same principle applies make money whatever happens to them... Two teir championship on its way just like premier league.

Re: Sheff Utd tonight - how will this year’s promoted teams

Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:01 pm

It puts our last season in the premier league into perspective. We were not that bad really. The premier league is a grubby monopoly and very few clubs our size have managed to mingle in it for long. If we ever go back up it has to be with a football philosophy to stay and wealth to compete otherwise it's really not worth being canon fodder for a year.

Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:15 pm

Got to say that I think that Sheffield Utd and Burnley were really cocky in the summer.

It was clear that neither team really recognised the need to improve their squad with quality/Prem experience.

Luton did with players like Barkley, Townsend, etc. and they are making a much better fist of it.

Interestingly, when there were rumours on here that we were linked with Barkley plenty were saying we shouldn’t touch him and that he wasn’t good enough for us !! If we had signed him I would suggest we’d be looking at the playoffs right now !!

Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:21 pm

0-6 now sheff utd getting battered wilder SACKED IN THE MORNING LOL

Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:25 pm

piledriver64 wrote:Got to say that I think that Sheffield Utd and Burnley were really cocky in the summer.

It was clear that neither team really recognised the need to improve their squad with quality/Prem experience.

Luton did with players like Barkley, Townsend, etc. and they are making a much better fist of it.

Interestingly, when there were rumours on here that we were linked with Barkley plenty were saying we shouldn’t touch him and that he wasn’t good enough for us !! If we had signed him I would suggest we’d be looking at the playoffs right now !!

People wouldn't want him as they'll say injury prone? But yhink your right be on better position if we did have him...dare I suggest pur strikers would be better having him on pitch same if Rambo was playing.

Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:27 pm

ORCHARD BLUEBIRD wrote:0-6 now sheff utd getting battered wilder SACKED IN THE MORNING LOL

He'll resign no chance of sacking him as they were relegated before he went back..

Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:38 pm

Sheffield look like they'd struggle in the championship too at the moment.Nothing in them.

Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:46 pm

Sheffield United went up and we're skint lost there 3 best players were always gonna struggle.

Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:47 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
ORCHARD BLUEBIRD wrote:0-6 now sheff utd getting battered wilder SACKED IN THE MORNING LOL

He'll resign no chance of sacking him as they were relegated before he went back..

No chance. He'll get a fat cheque when sacked

Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:59 pm

It finishes 6-0, but that’s mostly because Arsenal’s intensity dropped after the 6th goal.

That’s the fourth time this season that Sheffield United have conceded five or more at home.

Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:01 pm

SB 1927 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

No chance. He'll get a fat cheque when sacked

I don’t know why they brought him back in the first place.

I know he’s got a connection with the club’s fans but he failed at Middlesbrough and Watford.

It’s a bit like us bringing back Eddie Johnson because we’re struggling to score goals.

Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:05 pm

Arsenal had 81% possession.

Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:24 pm

piledriver64 wrote:Got to say that I think that Sheffield Utd and Burnley were really cocky in the summer.

You could be right with Barkley - Along with Sheff Utd lost / sold 2 key players and did not improve their squad .

Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:18 pm

Leicester getting promotion for 2nd time by cheating! This time managed to avoid sanctions from efl and premier league for failing ffp by saying was in premier league not efl and said clause 2.9 didn't apply to them? Did face points deductions whatever league they were in ... previously went into administration and didn't pay for stadium? Same owners then as now.

Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:22 am

The gap between the haves & have nots grows bigger every year. Whilst that situation continues my preference would be for a successful season in the championship but not going up. Sounds daft but were the 2 prem years much fun?

Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:05 pm

Warwickshire Bluebird wrote:The gap between the haves & have nots grows bigger every year. Whilst that situation continues my preference would be for a successful season in the championship but not going up. Sounds daft but were the 2 prem years much fun?

Unfortunately a successful season staying in championship wont sustain club in long term plus how do you prevent club getting promotion if playing well? You take promotion in a shot regardless of being cannon fodder in premier league.... because promotion for any club in any league is in essence is what footballs all about