Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Breaking:Ollie Tanner Needed Taking out of the dressing roo

Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:15 pm

Erol Bulut says Ollie Tanner needed taking out of the Cardiff City squad because he wanted to ensure the dressing room was populated with the right characters.

Tanner was an unexpected star in the early portion of the season. Many expected him to be sent out on loan but after enjoying a stellar pre-season, manager Bulut wanted to include him in his squad for the Championship season.

Since Tanner scored in the local derby v Swansea, Tanner suddenly changed as a person and was then told Bulut needed to have a chat with him.

Since then, the winger's form has gradually declined and he has found himself on the periphery. Indeed, last week he was omitted from the squad and he played for the under-21s this week.

And Bulut said he needed to hold talks with the 21-year-old over his demeanour during training and within the dressing room, but admitted the player is making strides and could be back in contention soon.

EROL BULUT:

"I have spoken with him many times. The last two weeks he is doing better in the training sessions. If he continues to train like that, mentally and physically, he will be with us," Bulut said of Tanner.

"I will remind you of one Premier League coach, Ange Postecoglou, saying about having the wrong person in the dressing room can destroy a lot of things. This, we don't want. This, we try and manage here in our team. We want the correct characters and players in the dressing room. Everyone must help each other.

"Young players can have one or two great games and afterwards, they are flying a little bit. So, to bring them back, it takes time. Ollie had a bit of something like that, I spoke with him many times and the last two weeks he is doing well. Whether it's Ollie Tanner, someone else, it doesn't matter, I want the best performance and they have to give the best performance.

"If the body language in the training or dressing room is wrong then we have to separate him."

Tanner's stock rose incredibly sharply after his derby heroics. Going from non-league to the talk of Cardiff in a matter of months, particularly at such a young age, must be a unique experience.

And Bulut recognises this, insisting the player gets the help required in order to reincorporate him into the squad for the final few games of the campaign.

"He is 20 years old," he added. "He has just scored a goal against Swansea, everyone looks at him differently on the streets than they did before, when maybe nobody recognised him. Now, they know it's Ollie Tanner! He is the hero!
ATTACHMENTS
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Breaking:Ollie Tanner Needed Taking out of the dressing

Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:27 pm

Sounds like it went to his head after scoring that goal against Swansea.

In truth, he hasn’t been good at all since then when he’s had his chance.

The right decision to move him over to the U21s for a bit.

He can learn from the genius manager that is Darren Purse.

Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:34 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Sounds like it went to his head after scoring that goal against Swansea.

In truth, he hasn’t been good at all since then when he’s had his chance.

The right decision to move him over to the U21s for a bit.

He can learn from the genius manager that is Darren Purse.

Totally agree, Ned; and what better 'punishment' could he get than a few weeks working with the talent-drain that is Darren Purse...?

Make-or-break time for Ollie, it seems...! :ayatollah:

Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:22 pm

Fine line between confidence and arrogance.

You gotta be exceptionally good to make it if you're the latter coz most managers won't stand for it. Neither will the fans (especially ours).

Fingers crossed he'll knuckle down coz I think there is a player there but he's gotta put the work in...he far from making it yet

Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:32 pm

Some things best kept in house

Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:50 pm

I wounder if its because he ain't getting much game time?

I would rather him play than bowler, my reason for this is tanner is our player bowler isn't, I'd rather us develop our own player over a loan

Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:15 pm

I wonder if he had to do the same thing with Robinson?

Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:48 pm

Warwickshire Bluebird wrote:I wonder if he had to do the same thing with Robinson?

I think he struggled to regain any sort of form since his injury, it was a long time off, and its a different team. He isn't the main man now with Rambo being local dignitary with Sio and Goutas internationals as well.

Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:56 pm

litoblues wrote:Some things best kept in house

Deffo should of been kept quiet ,
Why is he telling everyone , surely isn’t good for Tanner to see this

Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:20 pm

spot on :thumbright: hes 20 hardly been a pro for long, calling him out like this cant be good for anyone really

Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:34 pm

Richy roofer ccfc wrote:

Deffo should of been kept quiet ,
Why is he telling everyone , surely isn’t good for Tanner to see this

Don’t think so personally. Sounds like he’s got a bit big for his boots. He needs to just be kept grounded, which is what Bulut is doing here.
He’s not really saying anything bad about Ollie, he’s just looking for a positive reaction. He’s already said he’s responded well to being dropped out and has been training better since.

Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:48 am

Brought back to earth with a bump, a few weeks with the purse boot camp will either make or break him.

Hope that he hasn't been sucked into any dressing room agenda by a certain someone's sulks? We will soon know if Ollie starts wandering around waving his arms about which obviously is what this virus makes you do.

Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:44 am

Spot on.
Should be a GP

Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:16 pm

Warwickshire Bluebird wrote:Spot on.
Should be a GP

Lol.

Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:27 pm

kyle08 wrote:

spot on :thumbright: hes 20 hardly been a pro for long, calling him out like this cant be good for anyone really

But also being 20 and acting like he's bertie big bollocks. Aint good either and fans will be asking the question why aint he starting over Bowler etc . So here he's giving the answer up front as to why not in squads

Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:34 pm

Looks like it worked.
Bulut talking to him at length before he brought him on today, and he put a good shift in!