Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Three young Bluebirds gained further international experienc

Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:39 pm

Three young Bluebirds gained further international experience this month, as they continued their preparations for the Elite Round of the 2024 European U17 Championship.

Ronan Kpakio, Jake Davies and Jac Thomas, who have all contributed to a positive season for City’s U18s, were selected for Wales’ U17 camp. Taking on Bosnia & Herzegovina in two friendlies in Antalya, the side claimed a 2-2 draw, as well as an impressive 4-0 win. The City trio reflected on a positive camp of preparation for next month’s Elite Round:

Ronan: “It’s always been a great experience to go away with Wales and I think it’s good that we can bond on every camp. It’s helpful that we get to play friendlies in preparation for next month’s Elite Round. We’re in a good place and I think we’ve got a really strong chance of doing well. Overall, it’s a good experience just to be around different people and in a different environment.”

Jake: “I was happy to get a call-up, and it was a good experience for me. I really enjoyed it. The boys did well in both games, drew 2-2 then in the second game, it was a dominant performance in a 4-0 win, and I was happy to get my first international goal. It was a good camp for me personally.”

Jac: “It’s always an honour to go and play for Wales. Every camp, we seem to be gelling better as a team, and we’re becoming a really good side now. I fancy our chances in the Elite Round, but I think the more camps we’ve been on, we’re becoming closer as a team and we’re playing better. Going away with Wales is good experience with new boys coming in, interacting with other people. At Cardiff City, you’re working with the same boys all the time, so it’s good to challenge yourself by meeting new people, working with different coaches and learning different ways of playing. I really enjoyed it.”