Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Under Bulut- Our Players Have Gone Backwards

Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:04 am

Can you think of one City player, who's form has progressed this season?

Every single one of them has gone backwards under this manager and his coaches. He's squeezed any front foot,
and creative play we have, out of EVERY single player.

Can you honestly see, where our next goal is coming from in open play? We've no tactics, patterns of play, away
sides especially must be licking their lips coming to Wales. Bulut has taken us back to Russell Slade days.

He should be getting a far better tune out of all the players in our squad. Refusing to play Karlan Grant at centre forward,
moving Rubin around when he should surely be involved as a 10? Playing inverted wingers, which clearly hasn't worked since
last October? Crab football through his pedestrian midfield? Playing out slowly from the back?

I see a team void of any confidence going forward, scared to create and shoot, preferring to look backwards and sideways every opportunity. I also see a side not enjoying, and most definitely not playing for their manager, or our club.

Even Ugbo who looked a complete donkey here, is banging in the goals for The Owls. What does that tell us? Every road leads back to the manager and his staff. Nobody likes change, BUT this man is way out of his depth in the championship. Should have gone a long time ago, how he's still here I don't know?

There are far better proven championship managers out there.. It's time to not only get ready for two away derbies, but for NEXT season. The outstanding candidate would be City boy himself Steve Cooper, who would bring through the youngsters without a shadow of doubt. Can we afford him? Does Tan want a shot at promotion next season? Would he come being out of work? - Who knows?

We've missed out on some good young managers since Bulut walked through the door. He has had a bee in his bonnet for too long now, calling out his players, and the board repeatedly. He's a very stubborn manager as we've seen for weeks at home, refusing to get at teams, and press from the front.

No way would I offer him a day more on that contract, he can't motivate or inspire any city player on that pitch.

It's time to move on.

:bluescarf: :bluebird:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Bulut- Our Players Have Gone Backwards

Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:45 am

It's not certain but can I assume from that diatribe that you are not for Erol Bulut...? :?

Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:57 am

Back to the Russell Slade days? Not my favourite manger but he gets far too much stick. We were in with a very good chance of the play offs under him and finished 8th when he was sacked.

Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:00 pm

Excellent mr wiggins and nailed on .

Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:01 pm

Yeah the players have gone of the boil and its sad to see.

I don't think they go out to lose a game, I would say its the opposite. They want to win but it looks like they are miles away from that. So what has gone wrong since October?

Personally I think its all upfront. At the start of the season we were scoring goals all over the field BUT the guys upfront were not doing their fair share. Then their fair share became nothing and we struggled. You can't sustain your mid field to continue scoring and thats when you need the strikers to step up. That has not happened.

Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:06 pm

ONe big thing i dont understand is we sign big men as strikers, yet dont play with wingers who cross the ball into the box? Like said above with Ugbo, yes he only scores for 6-8 yards out but if you stick crosses into him he scores,

I mean its not rocket science yet we dont do it

Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:39 pm

Difficult to disagree with that. Especially over the last month but in truth it started before then.

Don’t think Russell Slade comparisons are fair. He had a very poor squad and did well to keep us away from relegation, although I didn’t agree with his appointment.

Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:05 pm

Rubin colwill has

Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:40 pm

Wiggy wrote:Can you think of one City player, who's form has progressed this season?

Every single one of them has gone backwards under this manager and his coaches. He's squeezed any front foot,
and creative play we have, out of EVERY single player.

Can you honestly see, where our next goal is coming from in open play? We've no tactics, patterns of play, away
sides especially must be licking their lips coming to Wales. Bulut has taken us back to Russell Slade days.

He should be getting a far better tune out of all the players in our squad. Refusing to play Karlan Grant at centre forward,
moving Rubin around when he should surely be involved as a 10? Playing inverted wingers, which clearly hasn't worked since
last October? Crab football through his pedestrian midfield? Playing out slowly from the back?

I see a team void of any confidence going forward, scared to create and shoot, preferring to look backwards and sideways every opportunity. I also see a side not enjoying, and most definitely not playing for their manager, or our club.

Even Ugbo who looked a complete donkey here, is banging in the goals for The Owls. What does that tell us? Every road leads back to the manager and his staff. Nobody likes change, BUT this man is way out of his depth in the championship. Should have gone a long time ago, how he's still here I don't know?

There are far better proven championship managers out there.. It's time to not only get ready for two away derbies, but for NEXT season. The outstanding candidate would be City boy himself Steve Cooper, who would bring through the youngsters without a shadow of doubt. Can we afford him? Does Tan want a shot at promotion next season? Would he come being out of work? - Who knows?

We've missed out on some good young managers since Bulut walked through the door. He has had a bee in his bonnet for too long now, calling out his players, and the board repeatedly. He's a very stubborn manager as we've seen for weeks at home, refusing to get at teams, and press from the front.

No way would I offer him a day more on that contract, he can't motivate or inspire any city player on that pitch.

It's time to move on.

:bluescarf: :bluebird:

Wiggy I feel like you have made some good points but I think that the Slade comparisons are rubbish quite frankly.

Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:17 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Difficult to disagree with that. Especially over the last month but in truth it started before then.

Don’t think Russell Slade comparisons are fair. He had a very poor squad and did well to keep us away from relegation, although I didn’t agree with his appointment.

Agree with your sentiments on Slade and posted something similar. In fact he did better than avoid relegation, we came 8th in his second season and then we sacked him. Glad we did, but he has been unfairly judged. We have had far worse since.

Re: Under Bulut- Our Players Have Gone Backwards

Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:26 pm

I disagree. At the end of the day football is simple . Beat your opponent in the one on one. Our lads generally can’t do it.

Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:55 pm

rumpo kid wrote:I disagree. At the end of the day football is simple . Beat your opponent in the one on one. Our lads generally can’t do it.

They're not given licence to do it that's why? He has them facing backwards or sideways, terrible coaching. Playing inverted wingers since October, not working, but still plays the same way.

Our creative players are more concerned with tracing back putting a foot in, rather than doing what they do best. Bulut's
mindset is all wrong. May work in Turkey but not here in the championship.

Sven you've known I'm not a Bulet fan, since before Christmas. If you've played the game you can probably see why. It's chronically bad, and easy to see through if you're John Eustace tonight. If he's not given the Bullet, he'll probably walk soon
I'd say, he's shot of ideas. Way way out of his depth, this squad of players are capable of so much more, if driven the right way.

One of his worst misgivings? Calling the boys out against Leicester home. Bulet picks the side, sets the' 'tactics' and the slow pedestrian play out from the back. It may be time to go back to watching Albert Tatlock & Ena Sharples in the snivs midweek, taking Mrs Wiggy shopping on a Saturday. Think I'd get more enjoyment! :happy1:

Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:36 pm

Wiggy

You're on the money with everything you've said apart from the Noddy (Slade) comparison.

If I was a professional playing under Bulut I'd be pulling my hair out in frustration, particularly if I was a forward. The guy is holding certain players back from their natural instincts with his rigid tactics and instructions.

I also question his motivational capabilities. I hope the players find their inner reserves of confidence for tonight.

Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:53 pm

Wiggy, apart from the Russell Slade comparison, that's how I see it too.

What defies belief is if you were a football manager and oversaw 3 months of failure would you still be using the same tactics or is Bulut so devoid of football intelligence that he just cannot accept his methods are not working.

One can only hope he manages to fluke a few more wins before the end of the season. I suspect I'm not alone in hoping the board pulls the plug on the Bulut project thereafter.

Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:55 pm

JJ1927 wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:Difficult to disagree with that. Especially over the last month but in truth it started before then.

Agree with your sentiments on Slade and posted something similar. In fact he did better than avoid relegation, we came 8th in his second season and then we sacked him. Glad we did, but he has been unfairly judged. We have had far worse since.

Yeah, can’t argue with any of that.

Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:55 pm

FFS its incessant.

NG was an average centre half / right back this winter window we had people worried a premier team would come in for him (mental i know but not backwards)
McGuiness - never a nailed on starter at the start of the season but the Liverpool lad may have not started ahead of him but for injury
Ralls still fall apart when he is not on the pitch
Colwill has never been this good

in fact the only players gone backward are Wintle if he was ever mid championship and ................not sure

Tanner never EFL, Bowler best games were for Blackpool (16th then relegated) he has scored 10 gaols in 90 odd games. Etete is Etete

Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:15 pm

Ok - fair enough. Colwill, NG and McGuinness have improved.

Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:41 pm

Great post Wiggy, except the Slade bit but that's been covered.

The players are totally confused and dysfunctional, they don't know what Bulut wants. He constantly changes the starting lineup and usually subs the best attacking player, usually Colwill, then drops him for the next game.

I do think Colwill is the only player that has improved, but that's probably a natural progression due to him being fit this season and playing games.

Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:05 am

Tuna Pasta Bake wrote:Ok - fair enough. Colwill, NG and McGuinness have improved.

…and Tanner.

Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:31 am

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
Tuna Pasta Bake wrote:Ok - fair enough. Colwill, NG and McGuinness have improved.

…and Tanner.

They have; amd it's all about cohesion..

I was at the game last night and felt goal attack apart, I thought we did well...

Sharp goalkeeping at times, great defending from Goutas and Phillips; Mahlon Romeo had his best game in a whils, whilst Jamilu Collins was pretty solid and made a couple of decent runs...

In midfield, Siopis was running around and interfering as we've come to expect, and Wintle wasn't too bad other than his poor dead-ball delivery (as expressed by some disgruntled supporters)...

Moving forward, Karlan Grant was excellent and in my book Man of the Match; Rubin Colwill showed great skill at times and continues his improvement, albeit that he ran himself into the ground...

Kion Etete had a very good game running, tackling, fending off and defending. His only short-coming was in front of goal, where he had a couple of decent chances but failed to convert...

That leaves Josh Bowler; the only player tonight that could be genuinely accused of being 'under par' and it's hard to disagree with that...

There seems to be an anti-manager/player bandwagon rolling at the moment and it confuses me a little on times...

At West Brom they deservedly took 'stick'; but ladt night (v Blackburn) they simply didn't; and a 1 - 0 win would have seen this Forum painting a different picture... :ayatollah:

Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:42 am

"There seems to be an anti-manager/player bandwagon rolling at the moment and it confuses me a little on times.."

Sven not so much player, manager, yes....Why wouldn't there be? We've still yet to score a goal at home in 2024, and
entertainment value as a spectacle, has been zero. That comes from the management and his coaches.

It was a little better in patches last night, but again no goals. Blackburn were a very poor side.

Fans already voting with their feet. Actual bodies last night 10-12K max. The bar take where I am was way way down!

Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:49 am

Wiggy wrote:"There seems to be an anti-manager/player bandwagon rolling at the moment and it confuses me a little on times.."

Sven not so much player, manager, yes....Why wouldn't there be? We've still yet to score a goal at home in 2024, and
entertainment value as a spectacle, has been zero. That comes from the management and his coaches.

It was a little better in patches last night, but again no goals. Blackburn were a very poor side.

Fans already voting with their feet. Actual bodies last night 10-12K max. The bar take where I am was way way down!

When you fall off the ladder you need to pick yourself up and start climbing again.

I'm reading that it was a lot better last night. I tend to agree a little. I would say we are on the bottom ruin of the ladder. I would have expected us to be a few more ruins up playing against what turned out as a poor team more than anything. Still its a point closer to safety.

Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:51 am

Maybe sideways..

Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:21 am

You notice how many more options opposition teams have when they play us. They attack in strength. It needs to be Bulut’s blueprint for success.

Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:24 am

Agree with much of what Sven said about last night's performance.

It was more positive and on the front foot but had to be. The players put the effort in and again that's minimum expected.

I still think we're hampered by Buluts tactics though - I'd like 2 strikers and for Bowler to be played on the correct wing.

Thought Tanner did ok when he came on. Was pleased to see Ruben left on the field for most of the game but he does need to get in the penalty box more.

Referee gave Etete fk all and was being fouled all night.