Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cardiff v Spurs , 07.01.07

Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:49 pm

I found this write up about a spurs fan visit to the old lady ninian Park.This is just a few snippets of what was written haha

https://www.spursodyssey.com/0607/car070107.html

“People of Tottenham, London, England! Welcome to Ninian Park, Cardiff in the Principality of Wales! You have paid your tax of £5.10 to enter our territory, and now we welcome you to our ancient stadium. Unfortunately we can only afford to seat a few of you. A recent tribe of Englishmen from Birmingham ripped up over 40 seats, but we have done our best to replenish the loss and accommodate those of you of a comfort-seeking disposition in your accustomed manner.

We natives are used to a harder environment and you will find many areas around our quaint little ground also have no seats. On your right, you will be greeted by our up and coming army of younger hooligans, who, despite being separated from you by a full length net from ceiling to ground, will happily engage stewards and police in their attempt to reach you and greet you physically. Occasionally, one of our number sneaks through our vast security net with an instrument such as a flare, and towards the end of the game, he is likely to throw this (alight) towards you, but fear not, the flare will not pass through the net, and will more than likely hit the back of one of the local Heddlu (that’s Police Officer to you English), to flare away harmlessly in the no-man’s land between you and your hosts. Although it is 30 years since your last visit, perhaps if you should call again, you may like to bring a gladiatorial trident with you and a helmet, because our heathen crew will more than happily engage with you, inside or outside the ground.

Whilst I must give a “big up” to “Cardiff Dave” whose hospitality I very much enjoyed on the outskirts of town before the game, I will quite happily never again visit Ninian Park, or whatever venue supercedes this stadium.

I know that Cardiff’s support is feared around the country, and can only advise you to “lock up your daughters” on January 17th!

Re: Cardiff v Spurs , 07.01.07

Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:41 pm

the stadium we are in now will never have the same impact on teams coming here

Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:26 pm

Nowadays the write up would read.

Soulless bowl, didn’t hear the Cardiff fans once, had a red carpet laid out for us. Won 0-5.

Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:56 pm

Absolutely brilliant that day Kyle.

Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:20 pm

There have been a few games at the new ground with excellent atmospheres ( the two promotion days, Leicester play off semi, Palace League Cup semi, home wins against the Jacks) but the new ground will never have the intimidation factor that Ninian Park had.

Keeping the away fans next to the family stand is of course one of the main reasons but can't see that ever changing under the current regime.

Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:57 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Absolutely brilliant that day Kyle.

Fantastic day I remember it like it was yesterday, I remember the flair going off the lot, we won't talk about the return leg though haha.

Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:57 pm

Underhill1927 wrote:Nowadays the write up would read.

Soulless bowl, didn’t hear the Cardiff fans once, had a red carpet laid out for us. Won 0-5.

Yep sad but true unfortunately