Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Chris Wilder & Vincent Kompany

Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:31 pm

Crap managers or squad just not good enough ?

Kompany with our lad as his assistant ran away with (IMHO) the worst championship ever. The blades were effective and Luton rode the wave.

Higginbottom was sacked with 0.3 points per game and Wilder has doubled that but they could be the first team to concede 100 goals

Motivation and coaching problems? Or is it, that if you just don't have the skill set for the division it's all meaningless?

Re: Chris Wilder & Vincent Kompany

Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:58 pm

llan bluebird wrote:Crap managers or squad just not good enough ?

Kompany with our lad as his assistant ran away with (IMHO) the worst championship ever. The blades were effective and Luton rode the wave.

Higginbottom was sacked with 0.3 points per game and Wilder has doubled that but they could be the first team to concede 100 goals

Motivation and coaching problems? Or is it, that if you just don't have the skill set for the division it's all meaningless?

Can't spend the money that others can its hard to compete coming up

Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:08 pm

Kompany and Burnley are too stubborn. It was obvious to everyone they’d have to change their style to survive in the Premier League. They refuse to do that.

Sheffield United had one of the poorest squads to ever get automatic promotion from the Championship. They didn’t really add much to it in the summer so it was always going to be likely they’d struggle.

Luton, on the other hand, play to their strengths and have caused a lot of teams problems. They know their limitations but have the right spirit.

No coincidence that Luton are doing the best of the three and have a fighting chance of staying up. They may fall just short, but people were talking about a record low points at the start of the season so they’ve already proved people wrong.

Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:43 pm

Spirit , organisation and graft is everything when you have poor skill set. We have none of them .

Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:56 pm

Sheffield United went up lost their 3 best players from last year Berge Idyile an Doyle

Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:23 pm

Pencoed wrote:Sheffield United went up lost their 3 best players from last year Berge Idyile an Doyle

And they got rid of their skipper ;)

Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:31 am

Yeah with Luton that had a style but struggled a bit on the attacking end, they added Barkley and hes made a massive difference to them, TBH he should be getting back in the England team over PHilips and Henderson now.

Burnley trying to play tika taka football with a sunday league team

Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:06 am

TaxiBlue wrote:Spirit , organisation and graft is everything when you have poor skill set. We have none of them .

What has that to do with this particular thread, TaxiBlue...? :?

Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:14 pm

Logie wrote:Yeah with Luton that had a style but struggled a bit on the attacking end, they added Barkley and hes made a massive difference to them, TBH he should be getting back in the England team over PHilips and Henderson now.

Burnley trying to play tika taka football with a sunday league team

Ross Barkley got me thinking. For years he was a "10" wonderkid who never fulfilled his potential. Was he a "6" all that time and mismanaged?

Got me thinking about Rubes who i am convinced isn't a 10 as he isn't mobile enough but a brave manager could see him as a non-defensive playmaker 6 (Malkys 1st season Whitts)

Back to my original question, I think Burnley's model is to inflate up their young kids value to make money bouncing up and down for a few seasons. The Kompany aura will get him a premier league gig next season. Sheffield are just not very good

Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:53 pm

I really wanted Edwards at Cardiff a couple of seasons ago.

I think he’s a great manager.