Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Bulut: Offer him a contract until 1.6.2025

Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:13 am

As a normal sensible poster I know there will be some who look at this post and think "WTF" and, to be honest with you, I wouldn't blame you at all for thinking that.

He appears to have a plan for what he would like to do on the pitch. And he also has good contacts to get players in (once FFP is more beneficial) but, in my opinion, he has yet to prove it on the pitch.

We have improved since last season but are just a poor to average Championship side at the moment.

My thinking is this. We are not going to get promoted nor will we get relegated this season under Bulut. Equally, a new manager will not get us promoted nor will he get us relegated (Unless his name is Tony Petty or Darren Purse!).

So I would proceed on the same basis that Dave Whelan did up here with Wigan many years ago and as follows:
a) Give Bulut a 12-month contract until 1.6.2025
b) He has the summer to build the team on an agreed budget
c) If we finish top 6 he gets a 12-month extension. If he finishes 7th or below the contract is not extended.
d) It's a 12-month contract. If we need to sack him in December then it won't cost us as much

Over the years we as a club have gone through managers like water and it's not got us anywhere.

Let's look at the positives. He knows his transfer market and had things been different in January I dare say we wouldn't have even been discussing this.

Give him the summer to prove himself. If it works then great. If it doesn't well we can cut ties in December if need be.

I am not happy with where we are at present, far from it, our football is boring and poor but I do think, given time, we stand more chance of promotion by keeping the present manager than going back to the past.

Re: Bulut: Offer him a contract until 1.6.2025

Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:29 am

Paul,

I am fully in the 'we cannot keep sacking managers' camp. It hasn't got us anywhere and managers can not keep inheriting teams from other managers. We know this doesn't work either.

Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:01 pm

The problem I have is that I'm not certain that if we keep him we won't get relegated this season.

QPR and Sheffield Wednesday are starting to pick up points and we are now only 8 points ahead of the bottom three and our form and results have been relegation form over the last three months or so.

Not only that, the manager seems reluctant/unable to do anything to change things at the moment and it's difficult to see where the next win is going to come from.

I accept that he has been given little or no money to get players in but what makes you think he'll be given any sort of decent budget in the summer? If we're sailing close to FFP after a number of windows where we could not buy anybody how will there be any money available in the summer?

For me if he doesn't get 4 points from the two home games this week he needs to go straight away and even if he does I'd prefer he left at the end of the season.

Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:33 pm

Paul Keevil wrote:As a normal sensible poster I know there will be some who look at this post and think "WTF" and, to be honest with you, I wouldn't blame you at all for thinking that.

He appears to have a plan for what he would like to do on the pitch. And he also has good contacts to get players in (once FFP is more beneficial) but, in my opinion, he has yet to prove it on the pitch.

We have improved since last season but are just a poor to average Championship side at the moment.

My thinking is this. We are not going to get promoted nor will we get relegated this season under Bulut. Equally, a new manager will not get us promoted nor will he get us relegated (Unless his name is Tony Petty or Darren Purse!).

So I would proceed on the same basis that Dave Whelan did up here with Wigan many years ago and as follows:
a) Give Bulut a 12-month contract until 1.6.2025
b) He has the summer to build the team on an agreed budget
c) If we finish top 6 he gets a 12-month extension. If he finishes 7th or below the contract is not extended.
d) It's a 12-month contract. If we need to sack him in December then it won't cost us as much

Over the years we as a club have gone through managers like water and it's not got us anywhere.

Let's look at the positives. He knows his transfer market and had things been different in January I dare say we wouldn't have even been discussing this.

Give him the summer to prove himself. If it works then great. If it doesn't well we can cut ties in December if need be.

I am not happy with where we are at present, far from it, our football is boring and poor but I do think, given time, we stand more chance of promotion by keeping the present manager than going back to the past.

Under no circumstance offer him a new contract, HE HAS LOST THE PLOT

Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:02 pm

Yeah let's award a contract to one of the worst managers we have had... he's just plain crap...

Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:10 pm

The problem that the club quite cleverly does is without a DoF there is no one to explain the clubs strategy so it falls to the manager. That title, Manager needs to go for Head Coach, and a Sporting Director or DoF explain the piss-poor events of the winter transfer window.

Bulut's job isn't to explain WTF happened, the club's leader needs to, but we never hear from the Owner, CEO or Chairman. Its a cop-out and i doubt we'll get any decent replacement willing to take the whole club on their shoulders without having the PIN code to the money, and I doubt that will ever happen again.

Tan is condemning us to a cycle of perpetual failure

Another summer rebuild with a new team is just wash, rinse, repeat.............It has to stop

I'd offer Bulut the OP's terms

Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:19 pm

This club won’t attract decent Managers, for it’s the graveyard of ambition. Can’t see Bulut accepting if he was offered a new contract tbh.

Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:29 pm

rumpo kid wrote:This club won’t attract decent Managers, for it’s the graveyard of ambition. Can’t see Bulut accepting if he was offered a new contract tbh.

Part of the problem is we don't know what the Board are saying to the manager behind the scenes...

Broadly, I agree with the OP...

Erol Bulut knew what he wanted to improve the team in January but for whatever reason he was let down...

Give the guy a chance to develop his own squad and let's stop this perpetual merry-go-round largely caused by previous poor choice and certainly not helped by the impatience and inconsistencies of posters on this Forum... :ayatollah:

Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:40 pm

The next 4 games 3 we should be looking for 9 points and the Bristol game possible a draw if this don't happen then it's down to the board what happens

Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:53 pm

What it needs is the owner and Chairman to stand up and be counted

Get rid of the part time car salesman who as far as I can see is a complete and utter waste of space and is stealing a living off us

They need to appoint a DOF…a proper one, not an half arsed nobody who is cheap but useless

Let him come up with the plans and appoint the new manager whether that be Bulut or not

It’s so obvious to everyone except the two morons in charge!!

Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:57 pm

litoblues wrote:Yeah let's award a contract to one of the worst managers we have had... he's just plain crap...

Nah the last few before are definitely worse.

It really doesn’t matter who you bring in, you can’t say a good manager will do well with this squad.

Divert your energy to the real problem, the board. Whoever is manager, needs serious investment this summer.

Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:05 pm

The players look confused as to what the tactics are . I can’t remember seeing a player take on his man , get to the bye line and cross it on for the striker .
They look clueless .
The manager/ coaching staff don’t look up to it .

Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:28 pm

All this stuff about the board being responsible is ridiculous. Tan nor Dalman coach the team, employ the tactics nor motivate the team as far as I am aware. That is down to one man.

Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:42 pm

That’s like giving Lewis Hamilton a Vauxhall Corsa, and then complaining he doesn’t win the Grand Prix..

Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:47 pm

MoodyBluebird wrote:All this stuff about the board being responsible is ridiculous. Tan nor Dalman coach the team, employ the tactics nor motivate the team as far as I am aware. That is down to one man.

So you think a good manger can get a League One side close to Premiership without improving the squad?

Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:50 pm

TaxiBlue wrote:The players look confused as to what the tactics are . I can’t remember seeing a player take on his man , get to the bye line and cross it on for the striker .
They look clueless .
The manager/ coaching staff don’t look up to it .

Back in the late 80's i gave up on us and played again. After a season or 2 in Cardiff & district, i trained with Ton Pentre for a few sessions over the summer. When playing with players a grade higher it looked like I couldn't play the game, so sculked by to Cardiff and district level until Eddie May raised my interest again.

A long way of saying too many of our players are just not championship grade and all the coaching and motivating can't change it.

Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:22 pm

No way. Football dreadful- negative crap.

Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:55 pm

They won't back the manager and that's that tbh. It's the same old freebies and loans and expect miracles without his acutal team he wants.

We got a strike force of meite and etete who between them have scored 3 goals in 52 games ish for example that's the current level of the squad and people want to sack the manager every 6 months yet gets landed with a struggling team every time.

It's the board that need f*cking off full stop from top to bottom but who's got the wonga to move them on.

The ccfc conveyor belt manager graveyard will continue this way untill things change at the top so.as fans we just get on with it.

Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:24 pm

MillenniumNova wrote:
MoodyBluebird wrote:All this stuff about the board being responsible is ridiculous. Tan nor Dalman coach the team, employ the tactics nor motivate the team as far as I am aware. That is down to one man.

So you think a good manger can get a League One side close to Premiership without improving the squad?

I don't recall saying anything about getting us to the Premier League. The facts are there are enough quality players in the squad that if properly managed should easily be good enough to finish in the top half of the table. League 1 players they are not.

We've spent well over half the season well within reach of the top six but for some reason the players just stopped competing and their performance levels have plummeted. That is down to the manager to rectify but he has shown no signs of being able to. He's continually tinkered with team selection, adopted negative tactics especially at home and made substitutions that defy logic. No, you can blame the board for lack of ambition, which is fair enough, but for our steady decline this season after such an excellent start you should look no further than the manager and his coaching staff.

Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:53 pm

Not for me, too negative and I think he's lost the dressing room. There is no way some of the players gave 100% against Norwich. They look lost and unsure of the tactics. Seems like it's been drummed in to look for sideways/ backwards pass. I have followed them home and away all season but next Saturday I will go racing at Chepstow. No entertainment for over 4 months, enough is enough.

Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:04 pm

MoodyBluebird wrote:
MillenniumNova wrote:

I don't recall saying anything about getting us to the Premier League. The facts are there are enough quality players in the squad that if properly managed should easily be good enough to finish in the top half of the table. League 1 players they are not.

We've spent well over half the season well within reach of the top six but for some reason the players just stopped competing and their performance levels have plummeted. That is down to the manager to rectify but he has shown no signs of being able to. He's continually tinkered with team selection, adopted negative tactics especially at home and made substitutions that defy logic. No, you can blame the board for lack of ambition, which is fair enough, but for our steady decline this season after such an excellent start you should look no further than the manager and his coaching staff.

Absolutely agree. Cannot understand those who say this is a squad of League 1 players. All of our loans are either from Premier League teams or have played (and scored plenty of goals!) at Championship level in the recent past.

We have current international players and a squad that for the first few months of the season were playing well enough to look as if they may mount a top six challenge.

Then it all fell off a cliff - as you say that can only be down to the manager and his coaching staff.

Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:28 pm

As much as I blame Tan , for all of these woeful appointments. I have watched every Bulut game. He is stubborn, predictable. easy to plan for and play against (ask a hapless Wayne Rooney) failure on the training pitch to address repetitive problems (goals conceded in the six yard box mid and far post, no high press, woeful shooting, lack of forward passing, lack of movement) calling out players publicly, wacky substitutions (lost the plot against Preston) and just plain dull to watch . Now on a woeful run of form , players looking shot of confidence , why on earth would you reward this with a contract extension? I have seen no signs of encouragement, chinks of light. I want him to prove me wrong. I can’t see it. Simply not good enough. Not working. The championship has come as a big shock to him I think. Found him out. And I’m gutted

Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:25 pm

tangledupinblue wrote:As much as I blame Tan , for all of these woeful appointments. I have watched every Bulut game. He is stubborn, predictable. easy to plan for and play against (ask a hapless Wayne Rooney) failure on the training pitch to address repetitive problems (goals conceded in the six yard box mid and far post, no high press, woeful shooting, lack of forward passing, lack of movement) calling out players publicly, wacky substitutions (lost the plot against Preston) and just plain dull to watch . Now on a woeful run of form , players looking shot of confidence , why on earth would you reward this with a contract extension? I have seen no signs of encouragement, chinks of light. I want him to prove me wrong. I can’t see it. Simply not good enough. Not working. The championship has come as a big shock to him I think. Found him out. And I’m gutted

Exactly how I see it and it's impossible to defend him. You've made me feel better as I genuinely think he's really poor (putting it politely) but I was starting to question myself for being too harsh.

Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:12 pm

rumpo kid wrote:That’s like giving Lewis Hamilton a Vauxhall Corsa, and then complaining he doesn’t win the Grand Prix..

;)

Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:27 am

rumpo kid wrote:That’s like giving Lewis Hamilton a Vauxhall Corsa, and then complaining he doesn’t win the Grand Prix..

The board give the driver and old banger and expect it to perform like a porsche or they change the driver as they didn't win and the fans play f**k :lol:

Modern football and its fans in a nutshell :bluescarf:

Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:48 am

Bluebird1977 wrote:

The board give the driver and old banger and expect it to perform like a porsche or they change the driver as they didn't win and the fans play f**k :lol:

Obviously whoever Lewis Hamilton work for do not know much about cars. In our case we have owners who know nothing about football.

Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:59 am

Bakedalasker wrote:
Bluebird1977 wrote:

Obviously whoever Lewis Hamilton work for do not know much about cars. In our case we have owners who know nothing about football.
Yep :lol: