Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Where has the high press gone ?

Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:50 pm

Start of the season basically pressing from the attack/front, now we just sit back , lossing faith in bulut rapidly

Re: Where has the high press gone ?

Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:56 pm

i've been saying this myself, we used to press teams high, and force them into mistakes, it was one of the things how we played soo well. seem to stand off now and invite pressure, and we crumble under it

Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:56 pm

bluebird04 wrote:i've been saying this myself, we used to press teams high, and force them into mistakes, it was one of the things how we played soo well. seem to stand off now and invite pressure, and we crumble under it

I just don't get it really don't

Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:13 pm

The high press is now reserved for the opposition only! :-(

Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:32 pm

That went months ago, we are toothless, too lightweight.
We are awful, how long can this go on, the players need to take a good look at themselves!!

Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:11 pm

The press is gone into the club shop ready to press the new managers name on his training gear.

Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:19 pm

I don’t even understand why the high press was stopped.
I mentioned the same thing last week on here.

At the start of the season, it was absolutely relentless and it was why we performed so well.
Now, we just sit and hope we don’t concede.

Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:26 pm

Bulut is telling all he players to defend and drops them if they don't. that is why there is no high press. Everyone defending it does not work in the championship :banghead:

Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:29 pm

Just a crap manager

Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:33 pm

L L W L L L Last 6 games this is relegation form no getting away from it :banghead:

Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:43 pm

Deidhoiu. Colwill, Etete, Bowler are not athletic enough to do it

Grant, Ramsey and Ugbo were.

Its a limited poor squad

Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:47 pm

You can only press teams high for so long without getting tired. The reason the best teams like Man City can keep it up is because they can control the ball and conserve their energy.

We, on the other hand, are extremely poor in possession. We wilt when minimal pressure is applied to us. And when we do manage to retain possession for longer periods, it's usually because we're behind in a game and the opposition is playing deeper. Which still gives us no advantage because we are useless as breaking down low blocks too.

Basically, the only reason we have as many wins and goals as we do this season is because we're good at attacking set pieces.

Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:53 am

Llan Bluebird.. you’re wasting your time mate. Even the forum Chief thinks we have a top ten squad. Poor results have induced
an attack on the senses.

Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:20 am

This is a good post.
Itis something a lot of us have mentioned. An effective high press would put us more on the front foot.

In any well drilled team with hard working players this should be a tactic that is used.
I agree with Llan Bluebird that our forward line is not the most athletic, but if trained properly they should do it as a unit. :bluebird: Shouldnt they?? Players like Djeudou Etete and Colwill (who does try a bit more now) should be told they must try their very best to do it. Also players like Grant Bowler, Tanner and definitely Wilson Esbrand (depending where he is played) must be athletic enough to do it.
When Meite plays (and despite other shortcomings) he will often put a player under pressure, but they can still play the ball out bwcause others are not effectively closing down options. :bluebird:
I find it puzzling why the tactic isn’t used(??).

Similarly, I couldnt understand why Alnwick was dropped for that far inferior keeper from Arsenal(??). That coincided with the start of our slump and imo cost us points. (??)
Also why Collins is never dropped (??) when so many goals come down his flank as he does not mark properly and has poor positional awareness.
We don’t have a great squad, but I don’t think Bulut is presently making the best of what he has at his disposal. Lets at least try to get on the front foot and have 11 players who will fight for the shirt. If he can get that, then we will be safe and we can calmly consider his position and his “plans” at the end of the season.

Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:53 am

wez1927 wrote:
bluebird04 wrote:i've been saying this myself, we used to press teams high, and force them into mistakes, it was one of the things how we played soo well. seem to stand off now and invite pressure, and we crumble under it

I just don't get it really don't

Agreed, same players, same manager but we stopped doing what was working very well, I find it really strange and puzzling.