Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cymru Premier

Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:42 pm

Say the course of history differed, or we were banned from English football. A new Welsh premier league is rebranded; 10 or 12 teams play each other 4 times like in Scotland. What do you think our average attendance would be? Colwyn Bay have the highest average attendance this season, 749. Also do you think Cardiff and Swansea would dominate the league? Couldn't be any worse than the New saints winning most years at a canter.

A side not have any of you been to a Cymru premier match? I've seen Pontypridd.

For example

Cardiff
Swansea
Wrexham
Newport
Merthyr
Bangor
Caernarfon
Rhyl
Colwyn Bay
Aberystwyth

Thoughts?

Re: Cymru Premier

Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:47 pm

I wonder if Cardiff Met away would be a bubble? :D :bluescarf:

Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:10 pm

CardiffCityFan wrote:Say the course of history differed, or we were banned from English football. A new Welsh premier league is rebranded; 10 or 12 teams play each other 4 times like in Scotland. What do you think our average attendance would be? Colwyn Bay have the highest average attendance this season, 749. Also do you think Cardiff and Swansea would dominate the league? Couldn't be any worse than the New saints winning most years at a canter.

A side not have any of you been to a Cymru premier match? I've seen Pontypridd.

For example

Cardiff
Swansea
Wrexham
Newport
Merthyr
Bangor
Caernarfon
Rhyl
Colwyn Bay
Aberystwyth

Thoughts?

Attendance wouldn't be more than 2k imo and
Would dominate for few years until dwindle out and level of players at club etc become worse and worse until basically equivalent to new saints etc and then would be 3 or 4 teams similar stature I believe.

Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:30 am

Scotland has the highest per capita crowds in Europe yet still struggles massively, a Welsh League would be even worse. The EPL is where all the money goes and that’s not going to change anytime soon. The 4 games a season is not a good thing either, how many Cardiff fans would be chomping at the bit to see the 4th game V Connah Quay Nomads in a season. Just be thankful that happenstance means the City are in the English league pyramid system.

Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:01 pm

The only people that would be happy to see the English based clubs consigned to the Welsh league would be
A) property developers who could redevelop our stadiums to student flats On account we wouldn’t need such big grounds.

And

B) the wru would could potentially pick up bodies on a Saturday to watch the rugby clubs who finally see sense and would have got themselves in to a cross border competition with English clubs.

It would be the death of Welsh football imo and make us in to an insular pool of park pitches. Give up hope of local kids supporting their local teams. They would be better off going to see Bristol city or Man U and Liverpool would pick up more fans.

We have a loyal group of fans that support the club but to be truly marketable you need to be playing at the top level. Welsh premier isn’t that.

Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:35 pm

I think Cymru Premier would be similar to the scottish league where only 2 teams dominate the league in Cardiff and Swansea.

Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:56 pm

Tiny crowds would attend. May as well use Jubilee Park.
Suddenly, most fans living in the cities of Cardiff and Swansea will become Liverpool, United,Arsenal followers etc instead of watching glorified parks football! :lol: