Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

‘ David Turnbull ‘

Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:26 am

David Turnbull

At 24, Turnbull isn't even in his prime yet, which should encourage Cardiff fans, who have desperately wanted the club to sign someone capable of chipping in with a good number of goals from midfield for a few years now. But given how well he did at Celtic, it might seem curious to some Hoops fans why it went slightly downhill for him there this term.

"I think it was the right time for me [to move on]," Turnbull said. "I had a great time at Celtic, a great three and a half years, and I loved every minute of it.”

"But maybe the last six months to a year hasn't been the way I wanted it. To come to a team like Cardiff is a great move for myself. Its about trying to replicate some things I have done before and putting my own style on to the team.

"At the start of the season I was playing games and after that fell away a wee bit. Sometimes in football that happens.

"Whether it is down to other things I am not sure, but I leave Celtic happy with a lot of my time there and it's time to come on to new things now."

Speaking about his first few days at City, Turnbull said: "It's been great, the standard's been really good in training. The senior boys really drive that. All of the lads have made me feel welcome and are asking about stuff. It's been really good.

"You see the quality the boys have in training, and the game last week with Rubin [Colwill]. Rambo [Aaron Ramsey] speaks for himself, he's had a great career. You notice it when he came back into training last week the difference and the quality he's got."

Erol Bulut:

Bulut, famously a hard taskmaster, was impressed by Turnbull's defensive output.

"I think defensively, even last week he did a good job, he was running a lot backwards and took a lot of balls. Maybe he has to add more things to his defensive work, but last week he made a lot of high intensity runs," Bulut said of the Scot's debut outing.

"He had three years at Celtic in a big team, the Scottish league. He is 24 and also experienced. He played many games and scored and assisted many goals. In the offensive part he will bring us attempts to try and score or score himself.

"He can read the game and has quality with his passing accuracy and ability to keep the ball. He can make it quick and slow when we need him to be. He can do both sides. He will be really effective for us."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ‘ David Turnbull ‘

Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:59 pm

Whilst we're on the Cardiff/ Scotland thread, can I just wish Don Cowie luck in his new manager post.

Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:11 pm

This was the signing I was most impressed and excited about, last week.
A permanent signing of a good quality player who could have years ahead of him at our club.
Loan players are fine, but I never feel they are 100% committed or part of our club. Also, they return back to their parent club in the summer.

A few more like him in the summer would be most welcome!

Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:03 pm

Genuinely can’t wait to see him get going!

Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:12 pm

My only concern is with the manager not the player. I hope that Bulut's natural inclination to defend doesn't stifle the creativity of the players now at his disposal, Turnbull included.

Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:26 am

I agree, he has never played as a 6 or an 8 for Celtic. He lacks a bit of pace and is not a particularly good tackler. He is an excellent 10. He has a great shot on him , can play a wonderful pass and is good at set plays. The manager shouldn't mess around with his position and play him as a 10.

Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:44 am

Moodybluebird

Echo what you say. Bulut has form in stifling some players natural instincts. Even his initial comments on Turnbull's cameo against Watford betrayed his obsession with defensive duties.

Fingers crossed the lad isn't burdened by too many instructions from the manager!