A forum for all things Cardiff City

FC Nantes: " Emiliano Sala '

Tue May 16, 2023 10:32 am

CARDIFF CLAIMING €110M FROM NANTES OVER DEATH OF EMILIANO SALA

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=204226

French News / Nantes

GFFN | Raphaël Jucobin

Tuesday May 16, 2023

The seemingly never-ending legal feud between Cardiff City and Nantes over the tragic death of Argentinian striker Emiliano Sala in January 2019 is set to take another turn.

Having been contacted by L’Équipe, Nantes’ lawyers have indicated that they are confident that the claim will be dismissed. They have lamented the “relentlessness” of Cardiff’s legal proceedings, pointing out that after seeing their appeals rejected everywhere else, “they have opened up another absurd legal front”.

The aircraft carrying the forward to Cardiff from Nantes on his way to completing his transfer to Welsh club would crash into the English Channel, near Guernsey.

In the years since, his €17m transfer fee has been at the heart of a bitter conflict between the two clubs.

FIFA had ordered the Welsh club to pay the first instalment worth €6m – a decision for which Cardiff saw their appeal rejected by the Court of Arbitration for Sport. Their latest appeal with the Swiss authorities has also been unsuccessful.

Cardiff have now filed a summons (private / civil action) with the Nantes commercial court, via their French lawyers Olivier Loizon and Laure-Anne Montigny, according to L’Équipe.

Specifically, the Championship side are claiming €100m plus interest in compensation for “losses incurred“. The civil court hearing will take place on June 22. L’Équipe add that Cardiff are also claiming the first instalment of the transfer back, plus interest, as well as “reputational damage“, taking the total sum to €110m – which could increase if Cardiff are separately made to pay the other transfer instalments.

The Welsh side claim that – based on their analysis of expected goals and expected points – Sala’s arrival would have given them the two points necessary to keep the club in Premier League for at least another season.

L’Équipe indicate that Cardiff are also critical of the role that agent Willie McKay reportedly played in the transfer, notably in organising the flight in question, while his son Mark held the mandate to sell Sala to a Premier League.

For the second-tier club, it was Willie McKay who was truly in charge, even though he could not act as an agent as part of his bankruptcy agreement – for Cardiff, what they consider to be “faults committed” by McKay are also Nantes’ responsibility even though Mckay was no longer acting for Nantes due to the deal being finalised.

Cardiff say as a result of their “recklessness and negligence in executing the mandate […] and the duty of surveillance over their authorised representative.” Nantes reply to this is Sala was no longer their player as he was now officially the Welsh clubs player and was in Nantes now on private matters and Mckay and Sala were no longer to do with Nantes. Mckay has confirmed he was only helping Sala of his own accord and acting for no one at the time of Sala's visit.

Having been contacted by L’Équipe, Nantes’ lawyers have indicated that they are confident that the claim will be dismissed. They have lamented the “relentlessness” of Cardiff’s legal proceedings, pointing out that after seeing their appeals rejected everywhere else, “they have opened up another absurd legal front”.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=204226 :cry: :cry:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: FC Nantes: " Emiliano Sala '

Tue May 16, 2023 10:39 am

It’s just embarrassing now, the legal fees are probably as much as the transfer fee!!

Tue May 16, 2023 10:45 am

Well if we are now trying to get the first payment back, plus costs / fines, interest etc Tan will have NO intentions of paying the 2nd instalment, now 3 years late, so I can only see us having a Transfer Embargo extended even more.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue May 16, 2023 10:46 am

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:It’s just embarrassing now, the legal fees are probably as much as the transfer fee!!

It is beyond, it makes us a club low life.

The fees, fines, interest etc will eventually as you say become more than the actual transfer fee if this continues.

Tue May 16, 2023 10:55 am

Tan your degrading our club and embarrassing us, i am so sick of your relentless dragging my club through the dirt despite being told time and time again, you have no case and yet you continue, you need to be man enough and hold your hands up and say i have tried everything, yet i now agree Sala was our player and Nantes no longer were responsible for what he did.

Tue May 16, 2023 11:04 am

Our reputation sinks lower and lower.

This whole debacle has got to stop and now. The only way is for VT to leave the club.

I seriously fear for our future

Tue May 16, 2023 11:06 am

Surely next season there are going to be mass protests

Tue May 16, 2023 11:14 am

Will hear Dalman's take on this on Talksport at about 12:30

Tue May 16, 2023 11:24 am

danielrees17 wrote:Surely next season there are going to be mass protests

WE NEED OUR CLUB BACK... We are rolling over and letting him take the piss out of us.

WE ARE A LAUGHING STOCK.

Tue May 16, 2023 11:25 am

Dalman on Talksport.

Dalman: confirms legal fight continues. CAS cannot judge on fault of accident.

Dalman: Not comment on Value of claim.

Asked why continue the fight.

Dalman: Why not continue. Why are Cardiff the only part in all this that losses out.

Dalman: You have to ask Tan why he continues the fight.

Tue May 16, 2023 11:26 am

Wayne S wrote:Will hear Dalman's take on this on Talksport at about 12:30

You mean bullshit and spin

Tue May 16, 2023 11:26 am

All evidence linking that lowlife McKay and Nantes is long gone imo.
Another one of NWs pals fucked us over.

Tue May 16, 2023 11:27 am

Simon Jordan on Talksport.

Jordan: Death is discounted from all these matters.

Jordan: £110million is cost of relegation.

Jordan: Why not insured, why put on a private jet without due care.

Jordan: Both clubs are not showing morality and should sort it out.

Jordan: No care on transport and both clubs to blame.

Tue May 16, 2023 2:46 pm

Reply FB:

Tue May 16, 2023 3:03 pm

Wayne S wrote:Simon Jordan on Talksport.

Jordan speaks a lot of truth and calls people out on their bull

Tue May 16, 2023 3:04 pm

Jordan speaks a lot of truth and calls people out on their bull

Tue May 16, 2023 3:08 pm

Neither club can be blamed for the transport. It was a private matter between Sala and McKay.

Tue May 16, 2023 3:09 pm

Wayne S wrote:Will hear Dalman's take on this on Talksport at about 12:30

I was more interested in Simon Jordan's response, where he seemed to think there was a logic to this action in that it might finally force a stubborn to this point (his words) FC Nantes to the table of negotiation and compromise...

The only question I would have is surrounding the benefit v money already spent?

Given that it must be 'lots' from our side, it can only be a point of principle...? :?

Tue May 16, 2023 3:10 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:

Neither club can be blamed for the transport. It was a private matter between Sala and McKay.

I think he qualified that by saying he believed both parties should have looked after their man better at all points?

Tue May 16, 2023 3:13 pm

This is a topic I have written a lot about and vicarious liability will play a big part.

If it is the case that ES refused CCFC offer of transport and instead spoke to his agent (Sport Cover) and they organised the flight via Mr McKay - then to me that has nothing to do with Nantes and we are potentially suing the wrong party.

If anyone is vicariously liable, for me, it would be Sport Cover.
** this is based on new information which came into my possession, via Sven, last week

Tue May 16, 2023 6:30 pm

Paul Keevil wrote:This is a topic I have written a lot about and vicarious liability will play a big part.

If it is the case that ES refused CCFC offer of transport and instead spoke to his agent (Sport Cover) and they organised the flight via Mr McKay - then to me that has nothing to do with Nantes and we are potentially suing the wrong party.

If anyone is vicariously liable, for me, it would be Sport Cover.
** this is based on new information which came into my possession, via Sven, last week

If that's the case we should cut our losses now then because we won't see a penny out of them

Wed May 17, 2023 8:26 am

Find it difficult to take to Simon Jordan but I kind of agree to what he said. Cardiff and Nantes should just meet in the middle pay half and call it quits and close it. Guess it's more complicated than that because court costs now. But surely both clubs and Sala's family and supporters of both clubs need a end to it, once and for all. Sick of hearing about it, sick of the position the clubs in and just let Sala rest in peace.

Wed May 17, 2023 8:41 am

royalblue wrote:Find it difficult to take to Simon Jordan but I kind of agree to what he said. Cardiff and Nantes should just meet in the middle pay half and call it quits and close it. Guess it's more complicated than that because court costs now. But surely both clubs and Sala's family and supporters of both clubs need a end to it, once and for all. Sick of hearing about it, sick of the position the clubs in and just let Sala rest in peace.

Jordan is just an antagonist but it was hard to disagree with what he said.

I think he hit on an underlying point as well. This is not a disagreement between two football clubs, it is between two rich men who have never been told they are wrong.