Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

‘ Craig Bellamy declared bankrupt ‘

Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:13 am

Craig Bellamy declared bankrupt

Bellamy: “I am not a tax dodger, I was just very naive.”

Craig Bellamy has been failing to pay his tax bills, nearly one and a half million owed and so HMRC ordered a petition to the high court in February where Bellamy was declared bankrupt.

The 43-year-old made millions while playing for many of the biggest clubs in the Premier League, captained Wales as he made 78 appearances for his country, and skippered his home town club Cardiff City into the Premier League.

But he is using the shock news about his financial ruin to send out a message to today's young players to be careful about who they trust with their finances.

Bellamy is said to owe £1,398,071.20 to Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs. A petition was made against him by HMRC and lodged with the High Court in early February. "It is ordered that Craig Douglas Bellamy be adjudged bankrupt," read the court papers.

Craig Bellamy said: "I’m not a tax-dodger but I have been very naïve and the HMRC have been pursuing me for unpaid tax for some time. Everything I have had has been taken from me. If you get the wrong people advising you it all haemorrhages, it all dwindles. It has got to the point where bankruptcy is a relief.

"I know some people will probably think I have squandered my money on drinking or gambling or drugs. I haven’t. I can go quiet where you won’t hear from me but I won’t be down the pub. I have never touched drugs since I was young. I don’t gamble. I have never gambled. It doesn’t make any sense to me. But I have gambled on people unfortunately.

"The money I’ve earned, I can’t get a mortgage. Financially I have no future. The hurt of that. I can’t own anything. Everything’s gone."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ‘ Craig Bellamy declared bankrupt ‘

Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:56 am

Wow! This a huge surprise. He was once rumoured to be sat on around £60m in investments according to some who knew him. Shame to see, and amazing this can happen to someone who has had a very successful career.

Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:00 am

So sad.

Must have been pretty badly advised over the last few years.

Sometimes investing serious money in a top accountant is one of the best investments you can make.

Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:05 am

If you could bottle his work ethic and desire to win, you'd make fortunes. Sad story this is.

Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:01 am

Mad story, all he had to do was buy a few houses to rent out and lump the rest on a ftse index tracker. Not amazing returns but a safe investment. I hope things turn around for him.

Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:51 pm

Is the tax demand for the film investment, think it was Ingenious Films? that was found to be illegal by HMRC.

Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:57 pm

Gutted for him….always liked him despite his obvious faults …hope he doesn’t spiral down as he has a great future as a no2 based upon what’s happening at Burnley