Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Updated ‘ Breaking Rotherham United Game / Decision ‘

Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:03 pm

Cardiff City have been contacted today by the EFL in respect of the abandoned fixture at Rotherham United (18/03/23).

The EFL have subsequently issued the following public statement:

“Following the abandonment of the Sky Bet Championship fixture between Rotherham United and Cardiff City on Saturday 18 March due to a waterlogged pitch, it has been determined that the fixture will now be re-scheduled in full.

In respect of this particular fixture, the matter was referred to the EFL Board under EFL Regulations at the request of the Clubs involved.

The EFL Board reviewed submissions from both Clubs giving consideration to factors including the time of the abandonment (48th minute) and the subsequent time remaining in the contest, alongside the differing circumstances at play had the fixture been re-started from that point on a re-arranged date.

In considering matters such as these, the League seeks to adopt consistency with previous occurrences where fixtures have been abandoned for weather-related reasons and could not be re-started.”

We are extremely disappointed that this fixture will now be re-scheduled and replayed in its entirety, a decision which disregards the first half of the original fixture, which was unaffected by any weather conditions.

Despite submitting a detailed incident report to the EFL, which contained photo and video content that documented the events that took place at the AESSEAL New York Stadium on March 18th, we are aggrieved that the points we have raised have been dismissed.

We are particularly frustrated that our staff, players and supporters who travelled to South Yorkshire must now make the long journey once again, during a time of heightened personal costs and fixture congestion.

We would like to thank our loyal supporters for travelling in their numbers to the AESSEAL New York Stadium, and look forward to seeing them at the re-arranged fixture which will now be played on Tuesday, April 25th (7.45pm kick-off).

Further ticketing information on this will follow in due course. In acknowledgment of the additional travel expectations put upon supporters, Tan Sri Vincent Tan has taken the decision to cover the journey cost for those who attended the original fixture and are again travelling with official and club recognised travel providers.

Updated

Rotherham’s abandoned match v Cardiff to be replayed in full.

25th April

No sanctions.

After reviewing evidence & submissions, EFL “seek to adopt consistency with previous occurrences where games abandoned for weather-related reasons couldn’t restart.”

Re: ‘ Breaking Rotherham Unite Game / Decision ‘

Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:04 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Rotherham’s abandoned match v Cardiff to be replayed in full.

No new date announced.

No sanctions.

After reviewing evidence & submissions, EFL “seek to adopt consistency with previous occurrences where games abandoned for weather-related reasons couldn’t restart.”

April 25th apparently

Re: ‘ Breaking Rotherham Unite Game / Decision ‘

Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:05 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Rotherham’s abandoned match v Cardiff to be replayed in full.

No new date announced.

No sanctions.

….and it took them that long to come up with that decision after considering both sides’ evidence. :banghead:

Re: ‘ Breaking Rotherham United Game / Decision ‘

Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:15 pm

As usual EFL make yet another gutless decision

Even neutral supporters I’ve spoken too agree it was a pathetic attempt to get a game back on

Encourages cheating!!!

Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:19 pm

Predictable decision but also continues to show a lack of spine by the EFL.

Hopefully we smash them and they end up going down.

Fans who went to the original game should get free travel.

Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:22 pm

Absolute gutless f*cking wankers :banghead:

Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:22 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Predictable decision but also continues to show a lack of spine by the EFL.

Tan’s covering the travel

Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:23 pm

EFL seek to adopt consistency yea
Don' t give cardiff FA what a bunch of w.nk.rs they are not even fair on the advsntage of 1 goal lead been wiped out so whatever evidence we brought forward it was pointless as they stick to whatever happens when a game is abandoned even if you where 4 nil up what a load of b.ll.cks hate the english hierarchy.

Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:29 pm

Predictable decision to replay the whole game. Whilst there was a large degree of skulduggery by their staff the weather was exceptional and I didn't think it was playable even if they has tried. We also have to accept that it was only one nil, it was not certain we would win the game even though playing very well. My anger is that the EFL have not punished Rotherham for poor drainage and not making more effort to play the game. There should be some recompense for travel costs both for the team and supporters.

Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:31 pm

If we are loosing 3 nil at home we need to put the sprinklers on and say they are stuck on open and see what the EFL say about that.

Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:33 pm

Oh well, April 25th it is then. BS as always.

Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:45 pm

We need to go to Rotherham and get something and I'll tell you I will love it if we beat them.

Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:48 pm

Plymuff Bloobird wrote:We need to go to Rotherham and get something and I'll tell you I will love it if we beat them.

…particularly if us winning sends them down.

Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:52 pm

Right decision on the game, wrong on the sanction/fine

Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:12 pm

Opens the floodgates now for teams who are losing in bad conditions and want the games abandoned, just slam the sprinklers on and make sure it gets called off. I pray we beat them and all of this is irrelevant but imagine if we got relegated by the odd point. Hopefully at the end of the season it won't matter

Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:13 pm

I travelled to the original game independently - I don’t expect recompense for that. But will my tickets be refunded for the new fixture?

Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:19 pm

Farce. As someone has said on Facebook. EFL giving permission to clubs to get games abandoned, if the result isn't suiting them, knowing they will get a replay.

A bit of f*cking rain. Never rained in Rotherham lads. Booked my Summer holiday. Is there a beach?!

Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:27 pm

Ridsdale sits on the EFL board doesn't he?

Cardiff have ruffled a few EFL feathers legally challenging their decision to instill a transfer embargo for another two windows - despite FIFA lifting their ban.

I don't know why we expected any fairness on the Rotherham pitch decision do u?

Since when has the EFL done Cardiff City, a Welsh capital club, any favors - ever!

Blatant cheating by Rotherham who were latched onto a perfect excuse to get the game stuck off after that rain storm.

Three pathetic groundstaff - with one folk and two giant squeegees between them - and Rotherham are playing in the bloody Championship!

Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:28 pm

It just goes to re-affirm what a shower the EFL are. Taking 12 days to come to this decision. Appalling!

Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:32 pm

Lets take thousands up there and create our own storm cheating nothern tw.ts hope there seats are fastened down well if we are loosing

Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:42 pm

M4 Exile wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:Predictable decision but also continues to show a lack of spine by the EFL.

Tan’s covering the travel

It's the right thing to do. Really EFL/Rotherham should have covered it.

Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:34 pm

It's a stitch up. Ridsdale and EFL don't like Cardiff full stop. What's obvious here is that there hasn't been any mention of any recourse for how Rotherham deliberately did as little as possible to get the game back on and even put the sprinklers on to make it even worse. You'd think they'd has least been told to improve their processes for bad weather and to improve their clearly inadequate drainage.

The worst thing is that we all knew that this would be the outcome.

Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:37 pm

Barrybadosbluebird2 wrote:I travelled to the original game independently - I don’t expect recompense for that. But will my tickets be refunded for the new fixture?

M4Exile reckons Vincent Tan will cover the costs of travel...

I've not seen that anywhere else but it would be pretty crass to state it and not be right...

I believe the club (maybe Rotherham?) should pay the transport for those who attended the original game and maybe any additional ticketing costs, too!

A gutless decision from the EFL and disappointing but (sadly) not surprising... :cry:

Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:42 pm

He is covering the cost. Says on the club website

Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:43 pm

Sven wrote:
Barrybadosbluebird2 wrote:I travelled to the original game independently - I don’t expect recompense for that. But will my tickets be refunded for the new fixture?

I've not seen that anywhere else but it would be pretty crass to state it and not be right...

I believe the club (maybe Rotherham?) should pay the transport for those who attended the original game and maybe any additional ticketing costs, too!

A gutless decision from the EFL and disappointing but (sadly) not surprising... :cry:

I've just read the Cardiff City FC statement Chris:

Cardiff City have been contacted today by the EFL in respect of the abandoned fixture at Rotherham United (18/03/23).

The EFL have subsequently issued the following public statement:

“Following the abandonment of the Sky Bet Championship fixture between Rotherham United and Cardiff City on Saturday 18 March due to a waterlogged pitch, it has been determined that the fixture will now be re-scheduled in full.

In respect of this particular fixture, the matter was referred to the EFL Board under EFL Regulations at the request of the Clubs involved.

The EFL Board reviewed submissions from both Clubs giving consideration to factors including the time of the abandonment (48th minute) and the subsequent time remaining in the contest, alongside the differing circumstances at play had the fixture been re-started from that point on a re-arranged date.

In considering matters such as these, the League seeks to adopt consistency with previous occurrences where fixtures have been abandoned for weather-related reasons and could not be re-started.”

We are extremely disappointed that this fixture will now be re-scheduled and replayed in its entirety, a decision which disregards the first half of the original fixture, which was unaffected by any weather conditions.

Despite submitting a detailed incident report to the EFL, which contained photo and video content that documented the events that took place at the AESSEAL New York Stadium on March 18th, we are aggrieved that the points we have raised have been dismissed.

We are particularly frustrated that our staff, players and supporters who travelled to South Yorkshire must now make the long journey once again, during a time of heightened personal costs and fixture congestion.

We would like to thank our loyal supporters for travelling in their numbers to the AESSEAL New York Stadium, and look forward to seeing them at the re-arranged fixture which will now be played on Tuesday, April 25th (7.45pm kick-off).

Further ticketing information on this will follow in due course.

In acknowledgment of the additional travel expectations put upon supporters, Tan Sri Vincent Tan has taken the decision to cover the journey cost for those who attended the original fixture and are again travelling with official and club recognised travel providers.

Re: Updated ‘ Breaking Rotherham United Game / Decision ‘

Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:45 pm

https://boards.footymad.net/showthread.php?t=38303870

Not a very intelligent bunch up there are they?!

Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:09 pm

Apparently it's going to be thunder and lightning up there at 7-45 that evening,just checked the forecast.

Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:10 pm

If it is April 25th that's a Tuesday so I would imagine a lot less will travel in comparison to the original Saturday fixture.

Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:18 pm

jimmy_rat wrote:https://boards.footymad.net/showthread.php?t=38303870

Not a very intelligent bunch up there are they?!

It doesn't surprise me. I had the misfortune of having to go to Rotherham for a few days. It's like Royston Vasey but without the laughs.

Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:27 pm

Sven wrote:

Literally on the club statement. Sorry if that doesn’t afford an opportunity to criticise Tan :thumbup: