Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

EMBARGO UPDATE: BECAUSE CARDIFF WERE GIVEN 30 DAYS NOTICE

Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:38 am

Currently we are allowed to get frees and loans.

EFL cannot allow signings for fees until 30 days after "embargo lifted" due to the way we go about our business previously. But until they are satisfied, the 3 window ban stands.... Apparently.

The club are trying to fight this behind closed doors, I assume this is why there's a lack of an update from the club currently.

The EFL assert the club were notified of the embargo more than 30 days

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=204226

Cardiff City are finally able to trade in the January transfer window after FIFA and the EFL lifted embargoes which put a total ban on the club's ability to register new players.

The EFL assert the club were notified of the embargo more than 30 days, Cardiff are able to register new players but are unable to pay fees for them for the next three windows.
But that will suit this Regime.

Cardiff will be operating within this transfer window by bringing in only free transfers and loans.

Re: EMBARGO UPDATE

Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:44 am

Cardiff City are finally able to trade in the January transfer window after FIFA and the EFL lifted embargoes which put a total ban on the club's ability to register new players.

The EFL assert the club were notified of the embargo more than 30 days, Cardiff are able to register new players but are unable to pay fees for them for the next three windows.
But that will suit this Regime.

Cardiff will be operating within this transfer window by bringing in only free transfers and loans.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=204226

Cardiff this week paid Nantes FC the first instalment of the fee for Argentine striker Emiliano Sala, believed to be worth £7m including interest, after they had been hit with a three-window transfer ban.

The payment to Nantes meant FIFA lifted their embargo. However, the EFL's embargo is slightly more complex.

Essentially, for want of a better phrase, there are two parts to the EFL embargo. The first is fairly straightforward and falls in line with FIFA's stipulations: If a transfer fee is not paid then a club cannot register any new players.

Of course, just like the FIFA ban, the criteria for that has been satisfied with the aforementioned payment to Nantes this week.

The second part of this embargo, though, is important for how Cardiff are able to go about their business.

The EFL rule that if an embargo has been in place for more than 30 days then the club are prohibited from paying a fee for a player for three windows.

As we understand it, the EFL assert the club were notified of the embargo more than 30 days before paying the £7m to Nantes this week and therefore this particular part of the ban has not yet been lifted. Talks, however, are going on behind the scenes in a bid to find a solution.

What it essentially means for the time being is that Cardiff are able to register new players but are unable to pay fees for them for the next three windows.

This second part of this transfer ban was implemented to stop rogue clubs overpaying with no intention of forking out full fees for players. However, it is perfectly fair to say, the legislation was not designed to accommodate such a complicated case as the Cardiff-Nantes dispute over Sala. That remains unique in world football.

While the EFL have confirmed to us that Cardiff are no longer under an embargo, they do not comment on the specifics of each club's case.

But we have learned that Cardiff will be operating within this transfer window by bringing in only free transfers and loans. While some might be concerned that loans may be difficult due to Cardiff being unable to pay a loan fee, it is understood that, post-Covid and with Premier League sides more sympathetic to Championship clubs' financial struggles, that is not as prohibitive as it once might have been. Top-flight sides are more concerned with getting good league experience for their players as opposed to the paltry fee they might receive for their services.

The loan market is a difficult one to trade within and there are a lot of moving parts. The domino effect of a Premier League club buying a player only for them to send another out on loan plays its part in these mid-season windows.

That being said, the Bluebirds are hopeful of bringing in two or three players, largely to bolster their forward line. Attacking midfield, striker and winger are all options being considered, with the club having had targets lined up for when the embargoes were lifted.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: EMBARGO UPDATE: BECAUSE CARDIFF WERE GIVEN 30 DAYS NOTIC

Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:59 am

Reply FB:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:46 pm

Was a fee being paid for the lad from West Ham?

If so and City can't get that aspect of the embargo overturned then that move could be scuppered.

Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:49 pm

davids wrote:Was a fee being paid for the lad from West Ham?

If so and City can't get that aspect of the embargo overturned then that move could be scuppered.

David, I am just about to ask his Father.

Lennon had spent 4 weeks at Cardiff and loved it here and they loved him.
Then he was due to sim and the Embargo got announced.

Since Lennon went back both Norwich and Ipswich have offered him a contract.

But he loved his time at Cardiff.

Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:50 pm

Reply FB:

Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:55 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Tell his dad that Norfolk / Suffolk are dumps Annis. South wales is the place to be as the fans will love him. :bluebird:

Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:13 pm

Rather begs the question that if the club intended to pay the first instalment, why didn't they do it within the 30 days of being notified by the EFL that the embargo was in place?

Another oversight by the club?

Or maybe the monies didn't arrive from Loans R Us in time to be paid within the 30 days.

Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:23 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Negotiations have started up again.

Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:28 pm

By Glen Williams:

“Cardiff are not that worried as they think they have a good squad and put a lot of effort into getting 17 players in the summer. But are hopeful of adding quality to stave off relegation this season.”

“ Some will be concerned loan fees will prove prohibitive (as I was). But I am told that is not as big a worry as it once was.”

“PL clubs sympathetic to Champ clubs' financial situations post-Covid. They prefer players to get right loans rather than receive relatively meagre fees.”

Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:56 pm

Is it not time to have a dedicated football as DOF , CEO , surely these complications would have been highlighted
If the club knew these rules would be put in place, we have nothing to blame but ourselves

Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:32 pm

I will never understand the thinking of not having a DoF, most clubs now have them I think.
Funny bit is Mr Tan sacked DJ then tried to employ him if I got that right.

Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:42 pm

JulesK wrote:I will never understand the thinking of not having a DoF, most clubs now have them I think.
Funny bit is Mr Tan sacked DJ then tried to employ him if I got that right.

Very true Jules.

Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:38 pm

Not intended to be contentious. But we’ve signed various injury prone or injured players in the past and the club has been slated for the signings. Genuine question, Why should they sign this lad after a 2 year injury lay-off? I know naff all about him, but surely 2 years recovering at his age would be a serious injury.

Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:56 pm

Simplesimon wrote:

Not intended to be contentious. But we’ve signed various injury prone or injured players in the past and the club has been slated for the signings. Genuine question, Why should they sign this lad after a 2 year injury lay-off? I know naff all about him, but surely 2 years recovering at his age would be a serious injury.

Yes, it was a serious injury but he has been cleared to play again (has already done so for us on trial and scored a beaut)

I feel sure WHU have looked after their player medically but one of the dangers here, will be certain people expecting the world from the get go, when it is likely (and I don't know the lad) he will take time to readjust to the rigours of professional football

The reviews on Lennon Peake's potential are superb and clearly Mark Hudson was ultra impressed with him or the club wouldn't be taking a chance?

Always assuming he does sign, he needs to be allowed that new development of fitness, sharpness and confidence with (maybe) a view to having a big impact next season and beyond?

I think we may have got ourselves an absolute gem here...! :clap: :ayatollah:

Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:15 pm

Can we pay signing on fees to free transfers ?

Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:27 pm

Simplesimon wrote:

Very very serious injury, but they are not paying a fee, so not that much of a gamble for a quality player that could regain how he was if he stays injury free.

Because he has now trained with our first team for over a month and they’ve seen what they like and if City don’t, not a problem Norwich, Ipswich and couple more have all offered him a contract.

Plus he has played two U21 games for us and City were well impressed, because of his previous injury City will make sure they don’t pay to high a wage, he is that highly rated West Ham have put a 40% sell on clause.

He won’t be ready in fitness though for the first team for say 8 weeks as he needs games under his belt.

If he had not had the injury he would be playing week in week out in the Premier League.

Hudson and his coaches rate Lennon very highly as Sven saud.

Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:45 pm

Annis, have you heard any more regarding him? Do we still have interest?
I'm hoping so.

Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:09 am

40% sell on? Never heard of one that high before.

Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:25 am

JulesK wrote:40% sell on? Never heard of one that high before.

Slightly higher than the 0% sell on clause when we sold a promising youngster a few years ago by the name of Aaron Ramsey.

That was when Ridsdale was selling anything that wasn't nailed down to pay the tax man.

Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:30 am

They wanted money, so thats a good deal Jules.

Hes been with West Ham 14 yrs.

Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:31 am

The Embargo?

Must be a relief?

Yeah! The club has been working hard and has been ongoing for a long period of time. With this process, it’s been going on years. But this gives people a lift and we can look at targets and what we can strengthen.

Mark Hudson

Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:36 am

Technical aspect of ban?

"It’ll be loans and frees."

Mark Hudson

Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:26 am

When will we ever learn?
No more injury prone crocks. He won't even be fit for the next two months. As for loans in general they are good for specifics ie to stop us going down . In fact it shows we haven't learnt or improved as a club from last season. As someone said on here all it does is paper over the cracks. This board will then be bombarded with why don't we sign Doyle/Hughill permanently on £30k a week for a £5 million fee, as if!

Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:50 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Simplesimon wrote:

Very very serious injury, but they are not paying a fee, so not that much of a gamble for a quality player that could regain how he was if he stays injury free.

Because he has now trained with our first team for over a month and they’ve seen what they like and if City don’t, not a problem Norwich, Ipswich and couple more have all offered him a contract.

Plus he has played two U21 games for us and City were well impressed, because of his previous injury City will make sure they don’t pay to high a wage, he is that highly rated West Ham have put a 40% sell on clause.

He won’t be ready in fitness though for the first team for say 8 weeks as he needs games under his belt.

If he had not had the injury he would be playing week in week out in the Premier League.

Hudson and his coaches rate Lennon very highly as Sven saud.

Ah right. The 40% sell on clause says it all I suppose. WHU obviously think he may well make a full playing recovery, but don’t want to take that chance themselves.
We signed Pato on an injury recovery basis and he did us proud.
Hopefully, we succeed in signing him and bolster the squad midfield.
If we can free up O’Dowda from full back duties I’m quite positive about us becoming a more attacking force.

Onwards and upwards :ayatollah:

Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:19 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

They wanted money, so thats a good deal Jules.

Hes been with West Ham 14 yrs.

Fair enough Annis hope we can get him up and running hopefully we can get somewhere high enough that he doesn't want to leave.