Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

BREAKING: EMILIANO SALA CASE APPEALS FINALLY EXHAUSTED

Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:35 pm

UPDATED:

Vincent Tan took it to FIFA and he lost

Vincent Tan took it to appeal to CAS and lost

Apparently, this time Vincent Tan took it to the The Supreme Court in Switzerland and Cardiff City FC were told you have NO case

To do this was costly beyond...! :cry:

I'm a little surprised no one beat me to this but it seems that Cardiff City FC (nee Vincent Tan) took their appeal in the Emiliano Sala case to its final destination when it was heard in a Swiss Court

The result was that Cardiff City FC lost said appeal, which was their final attempt to get previous judgements overturned

As a result, there is now nowhere for the club to go in the appeal process...!

Cardiff City FC (nee Vincent Tan) must now pay the Emiliano Sala fee in full, as scheduled, with the first late payment (£5m if I recall correctly?) due immediately plus substantial interest

Cardiff City FC (nee Vincent Tan) are also liable for all costs involved for both sides, which again are going to be substantial

If correct, this is not a good day for anyone invoved with our beloved club but it would appear to be the beginning of the end of the saga (or at least we hope)

Furthermore, it is suggested that Mr Tan has approached FC Nantes to discuss the situation going forward but FC Nantes have so far declined to discuss the topic

I'm sure it will all come out in full soon enough...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=204226
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: BREAKING: EMILIANO SALA CASE APPEALS FINALLY EXHAUSTED

Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:39 pm

Chris,
I have heard exactly the same and to appeal twice after losing the original case was madness in my opinion and I said it from day one and got a lot of stick.
Emiliano Sala was our player end off and Tan was still saying no, incredible.
Now it’s become costly to
Our club and given us a very bad name .

We owe three years of interest and costs and of course the transfer fee itself which is ALL due now.

And now apparently Tan wants to do a deal with them, well we’ve been down that road on other cases.

As there can be No more appeals just a transfer embargo we might get.

EMILIANO SALA RIP

Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:48 pm

Sven wrote:I'm a little surprised no one beat me to this but it seems that Cardiff City FC (nee Vincent Tan) took their appeal in the Emiliano Sala case to its final destination when it was heard in a Swiss Court

The result was that Cardiff City FC lost said appeal, which was their final attempt to get previous judgements overturned

Cardiff City FC (nee Vincent Tan) must now pay the Emiliano Sala fee in full, as scheduled, with the first late payment (£5m if I recall correctly?) due immediately plus substantial interest

Cardiff City FC (nee Vincent Tan) are also liable for all costs involved for both sides, which again are going to be substantial

If correct, this is not a good day for anyone invoved with our beloved club but it would appear to be the beginning of the end of the saga (or at least we hope)

Furthermore, it is suggested that Mr Tan has approached FC Nantes to discuss the situation going forward but FC Nantes have so far declined to discuss the topic

It will go on for years, now it will be paid and we will start proceedings to sue for the cost from, Plane insurer, agents, flight company, Henderson, and whoever else was responsible for the death, we lost a player, relegation and millions of pounds due to someones negligence.

Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:51 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Chris,
I have heard exactly the same and to appeal twice after losing the original case was madness in my opinion and I said it from day one and got a lot of stick.
Emiliano Sala was our player end off and Tan was still saying no, incredible.
Now it’s become costly to
Our club and given us a very bad name .

And now apparently Tan wants to do a deal with them, well we’ve been down that road on other cases.

As there can be No more appeals just a transfer embargo we might get.

EMILIANO SALA RIP

Annis, any potential transfer embargo wasn't mentioned but I was told the case literally has nowhere else to go, so the club (nee Vincent Tan) simply have to pay up...

Going to be an interesting period now as we wait to see what our owner does next

You know that personally, I had no issue with the club (nee Tan) exhausting all avenues of appeal but time is up and it needs to be sorted, i.e. pay FC Nantes what we owe

Whether that's in one lump or by sticking to the original payment order, it simply has to happen; but as you know all too well through Sam, an agreement with Mr Tan is not always a done deal

This now needs to be put to bed once and for all...

Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:54 pm

Bluebina wrote:
Sven wrote:I'm a little surprised no one beat me to this but it seems that Cardiff City FC (nee Vincent Tan) took their appeal in the Emiliano Sala case to its final destination when it was heard in a Swiss Court

It will go on for years, now it will be paid and we will start proceedings to sue for the cost from, Plane insurer, agents, flight company, Henderson, and whoever else was responsible for the death, we lost a player, relegation and millions of pounds due to someones negligence.

It will probably be put out we are now in discussions etc

Yes we will try and Sue others , but that’s totally different than trying to do Sala was our player in three different courts.

Probably try to Sue others but how do you get anything of bankrupts etc

Apparently We have been ordered to immediately as Sala was our player and three years later we have tried to deny it.

Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:10 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

Yes it won't be easy

Yes we will try and Sue others , but that’s totally different than trying to do Sala was our player in three different courts.

Apparently We have been ordered to immediately as Sala was our player and three years later we have tried to deny it.

He will definitely try won't he, not sure if any of them have the resources, Insurance companies certainly try not to pay out if they can get away with it. Down to the lawyers now to attempt to recover it, it's going to leave us in a precarious position now!

Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:16 pm

I don't think we [Tan] will pay it - certainly not in full. A club such as City are already in a precarious financial position. If the 'club' doesn't have the money, they can't pay. That's how things work.

Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:38 pm

Bluebina wrote:

Yes, indeed; but the important thing is that a final decision on the initial teansfer fee has been decided

This may or may not open 'other avenues' for the club (nee Vincent Tan) to pursue 'other parties' involved and I would support that. However, it is now time to accept the transfer fee itself is owed to FC Nantes and pay it up

A (potential) Transfer Embargo is certainly not what we want/need right now... :cry:

Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:42 pm

Tan took it to FIFA and he lost

Tan did take it to appeal to CAS and lost

Apparently This time Tan took it to the The Supreme Court in Switzerland and Cardiff were told you have NO case ( this was costly beyond ).

Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:47 pm

A Quiet Monkfish wrote:I don't think we [Tan] will pay it - certainly not in full. A club such as City are already in a precarious financial position. If the 'club' doesn't have the money, they can't pay. That's how things work.

Wasn't it put aside, as the club stated via the politician...? ;)

Also, wasn't there an insurance policy in place?

This is an incredibly unfortunate situation that saw the sad loss of two lives; but we are where we are and it simply has to be sorted now

There can simply be no excuses from Mr Tan, who must realise his vast Malaysian influence does not quite cut it over here...

Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:50 pm

Sven wrote:
A Quiet Monkfish wrote:I don't think we [Tan] will pay it - certainly not in full. A club such as City are already in a precarious financial position. If the 'club' doesn't have the money, they can't pay. That's how things work.

This is an incredibly unfortunate situation that saw the sad loss of two lives; but we are where we are and it simply has to be sorted now

There can simply be no excuses from Mr Tan, who must realise his vast Malaysian influence does not quite cut it over here...

Sven,
Yes Dalman our Chairman on a number of occasions has stated the money was put aside.
So that surely should be NO problem.

There are No excuses.
The Supreme Court that’s it.

Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:00 pm

Reply FB:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:00 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Sven wrote:

Sven,
Yes Dalman our Chairman on a number of occasions has stated the money was put aside.
So that surely should be NO problem.

There are No excuses.
The Supreme Court that’s it.

Annis, sadly I have to agree that there are no longer any excuses... :cry:

Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:01 pm

Reply FB:

Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:02 pm

Reply FB:

Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:06 pm

Reply FB:

Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:14 pm

I’ve just found out that due to the Supreme Court Ruling, it means FIFA’S judgement stands.

There will be massive consequences to our club if we now don’t pay?

I am worried we might get a transfer embargo and won’t be able to sign future players over a certain age?

Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:41 pm

We need a big protest before the Blackpool

#TantheFuckOut

Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:41 pm

I'm just hoping the money was actually put aside and it doesn't cause us any issues.
Will reserve judgement until we find out either way.

Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:27 pm

Sven wrote:UPDATED:

Apparently, this time Vincent Tan took it to the The Supreme Court in Switzerland and Cardiff City FC were told you have NO case

I'm a little surprised no one beat me to this but it seems that Cardiff City FC (nee Vincent Tan) took their appeal in the Emiliano Sala case to its final destination when it was heard in a Swiss Court

I would not be surprised if the Swis Supreme Court had ruled against a CCFC appeal but where is the link to that decision?

On Mike Morris` board there is a similar post to this one but the link there is to the detailed CAS decision and the reasons for it by way of an update to the summary of the decision announced back in August.

Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:05 pm

Don`t we have insurance on the players when we sign them.
You would have cover for a car from first day you buy it.

Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:22 pm

Ninian1962 wrote:
Sven wrote:UPDATED:

I would not be surprised if the Swis Supreme Court had ruled against a CCFC appeal but where is the link to that decision?

On Mike Morris` board there is a similar post to this one but the link there is to the detailed CAS decision and the reasons for it by way of an update to the summary of the decision announced back in August.

Keith, I don't read the other Board but my understanding is that it was dealt with this week and Media Wales are putting the whole story together. I don't have a link (and I have looked) but the person who told me was linked to one of the parties involved, so I have no reason to doubt... :thumbright:

Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:31 pm

Sven wrote:

From what I've read on here and the other place, it's been built into the accounts but that doesn't mean the cash is sitting in a reserve fund ready to spend. Talk of transfer embargo isn't going to force Tan to pay - not with a £15-£20 million potential bill to pay. I'm sure he won't pay.

Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:48 pm

A Quiet Monkfish wrote:
Sven wrote:

From what I've read on here and the other place, it's been built into the accounts but that doesn't mean the cash is sitting in a reserve fund ready to spend. Talk of transfer embargo isn't going to force Tan to pay - not with a £15-£20 million potential bill to pay. I'm sure he won't pay.

Keith who is on this thread would know if the £20m has been captured in the accounts but Dalman has definitely stated that we have made provision for this scenario and the funds had been set aside. If thats the case then it shouldn't present a problem in VT now settling this, plus the payments as I understand it would be staggered.

What many of of us would like to know is the insurance situation. There are rumours that City didn't have insurance in place, which I personally find very hard to believe but even if that were true, Emiliano would have had personal life and injury insurance arranged by himself or his French agent which would have been triggered. I can only think that any insurance policy would not pay out as the flight was illegal so this avenue is exhausted in terms of a settlement.

Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:46 pm

All Tan has done is put our club in the firing line for sanctions in the future, including a transfer embargo which ultimately could be a sanction in force this season which of course could mean the fate of our club in this league. Tan failing to get what he wanted could have a knock on effect on our club. And us fans dont deserve to get punished for what Tan does.

It was a business deal for Tan which he was desperate to recoup any money lost due to the situation that happened, but the only people hurting is his family, and close friends. And 2 clubs really should off settled it ages ago for the sake of the player and his family. So I as a fan of Cardiff I am glad it's over but it's not the clubs money that needed to be settled it was Tan's money. And that is why fans blame Tan for being a greedy owner.

This of course is just what i think on the matter.

Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:13 pm

No one knows what's really happening and why or the rationale behind our decisions.

But, exhausting all legal avenues may be the catalyst for some closure. Legally he is ours, so maybe the insurance kicks in, or some wheels start turning.

Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:43 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

https://www.cardiffcityforum.co.uk/view ... 2&t=204226

We won’t get money out of bankrupts. However, as I have said before, we will get money out of bankrupts’ insurers. A bit like historical claims against employers for things like asbestosis, etc. The original employers often no longer exist but there is a register of their insurers and sometimes 40-50 years later they have to pay up.

Those liable will have been insured at the time of the accident and, therefore, they will have to pay up ……….. eventually !! This will take some time to resolve but us paying Nantes will not be the end of the matter.

Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:54 am

A Quiet Monkfish wrote:
Sven wrote:

You are correct. The amount was provided for in the accounts for the year he died thus adding to the loss and increasing the net liabilities of the club. This was probably done on the advice and insistence of the auditors. However there is no special fund of cash ring fenced in the club accounts. Whether Tan has personally set up such a reserve is another matter, but the club hasn't. If it had it would it would be shown on the balance sheet. All that was shown the last time i looked is that we potentially owe the money.

Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:12 pm

Well I will take on the no doubt coming abuse or warning / ban and say " thank you for at least trying Mr Tan " even a loss is a win if it means these grubby shady deals are stopped in future. ( not holding my breath with such corrupt institutions mind )