Steve Morison:”We have to learn from tonight & last Saturday

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:04 pm

STEVE MORISON:

“We have to learn from tonight and last Saturday.”

“Nobody likes to lose a game of football,” Steve began. “We had numerous opportunities - they had a third of what we had, and scored three of them. Every goal could be preventable. It’s frustrating on the whole.

"Arguably, the turning point was making the two subs in the 50th minute. Everything change we made was pre-planned, we knew what we were going to do.

"We wanted to get Rubin Colwill on and get him minutes. We thought it was more beneficial to put Rubin in this game than in the U21’s this afternoon.

"He’s got 40 minutes under his belt. But it was a really frustrating one, because from the 50th minute onwards, we were really poor.”

He said: “It’s the hardest bit of the pitch the penalty area; it’s the toughest part to get right. You want to get them to that area, but there are only so many patterns and movements you can work on.

“The tough thing for us is that you’ve got Ollie Tanner’s first game at this level, Jaden Philogene’s first game of his pre-season, Rubin’s come on for his first minutes of the whole of pre-season. Mark Harris and Gavin Whyte, it’s their first starts, so it takes time.

“No different to Saturday, we were good for parts but not good enough, and lacked that intensity. Against Norwich, we got the lead and had something to hold onto, but we didn’t do that tonight and it’s disappointing."

He concluded: “We have to learn from it and last Saturday.”

“We went through Saturday’s game on Monday morning, because you have to see it, positive and negative. We’ll do that again this week with the same process.”
Attachments
C2255965-321F-4B1A-B7C5-8716846DBCE4.jpeg
C2255965-321F-4B1A-B7C5-8716846DBCE4.jpeg (45.22 KiB) Viewed 4153 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Steve Morison:”We have to learn from tonight & last Satu

Postby JulesK » Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:15 am

Here he goes, singling players out for criticism, poor management again.
Keeping the Faith since '74.
JulesK

Postby Jestrix » Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:20 am

I don't see any criticism as such here, more just pointing out that it's first starts and there's rustiness perhaps. If anything it's the usual excuses. However, given how many championship clubs lost yesterday its hardly embarrassing. This competition may as well just have the U21s included like the Papa John's trophy as no-one really wants it.
Jestrix

Postby Whistler » Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:25 am

Where is he Critical of individual players, he is just highlighting early season issues with players with lack of game time
Whistler

Postby Forever Blue » Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:56 am

JulesK wrote:Here he goes, singling players out for criticism, poor management again.

Usually I would agree with you on this, Morison has become quite embarrassing singling out players and belittling, but he’s not doing that this time.

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Barclay1 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:01 am

What was frustrating was that almost every opportunity we had of putting the ball into the danger area we decided against it. We simply didnt cross the ball at all tonight.

It got to the point where it must have been the game plan to play it across the box in front of goal and try and walk it through a packed defence.

Did we not put it in the danger area because we did not have the quality of strike force? Or the big man Etete? If you dont put it in or across the six yard box your chances of scoring reduce greatly.

I thought tonight we looked like Swansea. Nice enough tippy tappy football but mostly in the wrong area of the pitch without hurting the opposition.
1st Game 24th Nov 1973 City v Bolton 1-0 (Gil Reece)
Barclay1

Postby Barclay1 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:04 am

Forever Blue wrote:
JulesK wrote:Here he goes, singling players out for criticism, poor management again.

Usually I would agree with you on this, Morison has become quite embarrassing singling out players and belittling, but he’s not doing that this time.

I do think hes beginning to use excuses early. Might get away with comments like this now as they still hold some credibility. He cant be saying the same thing six or seven games in.

Lets see.
Barclay1

Postby Forever Blue » Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:13 am

Barclay1 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

I do think hes beginning to use excuses early. Might get away with comments like this now as they still hold some credibility. He cant be saying the same thing six or seven games in.

Lets see.

Jonny,

For me Morison is very inexperienced and only our manager because he was cheap and happy to virtually spend peanuts.
Personally I don’t like him, as he has been arrogant, but I am prepared to back him as I want us to succeed and would love these players to do well and prove me wrong.

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:42 am

Everything Morison says there is correct. There’s no criticism of players and he calls it how it was.
Tanners first game at this level and showed glimpses but looked a little out of his depth. Just needs time.
Colwill hasn’t played at all but looked good.
Harris works hard but isn’t good enough.

The first half was very good, had one ruled out, came close a few times but ultimately we were not good enough in and around the box. He admits that.

Second half we were pretty poor except for a few flurries when we were down.
Shocking and absolute crap defending. Nelson should be shot and I wasn’t impressed with Denham but he’s young and needs time also.

People need patience on here. Morison tried mostly squad players and he learnt a lot I’m sure.
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby Bluebird 67 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:29 am

You have to learn that Watters and Harris are not up to it and we need a proven striker...if Tan doesn t want to buy a decent one ,then accept a struggle
Bluebird 67

Postby cendl blue » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:29 am

I don't mind him being critical of the players as a collective as long as he doesn't single any individuals out like he's done previously. He hasn't done it here but I think it will rear its head again soon. I just think its in his nature.
I agree with part of what he says in his comments but when he pairs a youngster to get game time with our poorest defender I don't see how that helps development and he leaves himself open to criticism.
I'm all for giving players opportunities but give them the best chance. Being played next to someone who is going to struggle to adapt to a new playing style is not fair.
cendl blue

Postby City slicker27 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:30 am

Who has he singled out exactly?
City slicker27

Postby City slicker27 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:31 am

Forever Blue wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Lets see.

Jonny,

For me Morison is very inexperienced and only our manager because he was cheap and happy to virtually spend peanuts.
Personally I don’t like him, as he has been arrogant, but I am prepared to back him as I want us to succeed and would love these players to do well and prove me wrong.

No offence Annis but you've clearly made your mind up regarding Morison. You've pretty much slagged him off since the start.
City slicker27

Postby castleblue » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:24 am

Last night was a game we could and should have won but when the spine of your team is poor, and SM selected the team, you simply cannot miss one chance after another as we did in the first half. We had 72% possession in the first half but failed to land a blow on Pompey which will surprise few if any fans, Mark Harris showed last night he is no striker we can rely on to score the goals needed to keep us in the Championship, in fact on last nights showing he couldn't score in a brothel. Add the inexperienced Tanner, Philogene and Whyte who squandered our best first half chances last night its little wonder we lost.

I remember when MM took over he was left with a handful of players and had to sign a team in weeks and he did it. That team pretty much picked itself and in the main also played in the League Cup and that year we made the final. In short MM respected the competition and more importantly the fans.

Last night was in my opinion an opportunity to give our first choice players the chance to get some confidence and WIN that game. In the process it would give the much changed squad another opportunity of getting more game time together, MM understood that but in my opinion last night SM showed his inexperience and it cost us the victory.

Yes lessons have to be learned starting with Steve Morison.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:
castleblue

Postby Bluebird1977 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:44 am

You can't pre plan subs then moan about them of how it went wrong. That tells me all I need to know but they all need game time although none of them can moan if they don't feature Saturday vs brum :bluescarf:
:bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: “We will dust ourselves down and go again” :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:
Bluebird1977

Postby 1980s Bluebird » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:55 am

Unfortunately his body language on the side line rubs off on the players, ok if we are winning but as soon as we start losing he just stands there motionless, did exactly same against Reading, no plan B at all. Reading sussed us out as did Portsmouth.

Even worse some right knobheads in our fan base abusing players again, rather they feck off and stay away than do that.
1980s Bluebird

Postby 1980s Bluebird » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:57 am

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:Everything Morison says there is correct. There’s no criticism of players and he calls it how it was.
Tanners first game at this level and showed glimpses but looked a little out of his depth. Just needs time.

The first half was very good, had one ruled out, came close a few times but ultimately we were not good enough in and around the box. He admits that.

Shocking and absolute crap defending. Nelson should be shot and I wasn’t impressed with Denham but he’s young and needs time also.

People need patience on here. Morison tried mostly squad players and he learnt a lot I’m sure.

Agree with most of it, annoying part for me was no one wanted to shoot and we waited until 3-o down before we brought the striker we paid 500k for?
1980s Bluebird

Postby Barclay1 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:00 am

1980s Bluebird wrote:
OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:Everything Morison says there is correct. There’s no criticism of players and he calls it how it was.

Agree with most of it, annoying part for me was no one wanted to shoot and we waited until 3-o down before we brought the striker we paid 500k for?

Fearful of shooting, and didnt want to cross the ball into the box.
Barclay1

Postby Aberbeeg Blues » Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:04 pm

I really wish SM wasn’t our manager. I’ve never been able to connect with him and he’s certainly not the kinda manager you want in the trenches next to you. ( more likely to put a knife in your back than help you when things start going wrong).
He’s only here because he’s a cheap alternative.
Has looked out of his depth from day 1. Things will begin to unravel once the pressure begins mounting.
Aberbeeg Blues

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:21 pm

Barclay1 wrote:
1980s Bluebird wrote:

Fearful of shooting, and didnt want to cross the ball into the box.

Agree re fear of shooting but re crossing, there was no real target until 2nd half after Etete came on, we then put in a few ‘percentage’ balls from the left that he nearly got on the end of.
bluebirdoct1962

Postby City slicker27 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:03 pm

Hopefully he realises that Nelson is a liability. 2 games and hes been responsible for 3 goals conceded. We are never going to get anywhere when players constantly give away goals! Hopefully Simpson turns out to be a good signing now.

One thing I will say though is, where have these referees been when morrison has constantly been ragged around for a corner over the last few seasons!?
City slicker27

Return to General Chat