CCFC TONIGHT / REPORTERS REPORT:

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:01 pm

Cardiff City were hit with a flurry of second-half goals to consign them to a disappointing 3-0 defeat at the hands of League One side Portsmouth in the Carabao Cup first round.

Morison promised a much-changed team from the one which took the field at Reading on the weekend and, boy, did he deliver, yet still a very strong side.

By Glen Williams

Tuesday 9th August 2022

The Bluebirds dominated the early exchanges of the game, but individual errors, two of which came from the under-fire Curtis Nelson, saw the visitors net three goals in 14 minutes, from which City never recovered.

Joe Pigott, Ronan Curtis and Colby Bishop all got themselves on the scoresheet as an exasperated Steve Morison looked on in disbelief from the touchline. Even more so when Vontae Campbell's rash late challenge on Joe Rafferty saw him receive a straight red card. Some way to mark your competitive debut.

Morison promised a much-changed team from the one which took the field at Reading on the weekend and, boy, did he deliver.,yet still a very strong side Ten changes in all, with Nelson the only player to start both games, which included debuts for Jak Alnwick, Ollie Tanner, Campbell and a full debut for Jaden Philogene, who came on as a substitute at the Select Car Leasing Stadium.

But it was almost a nightmare start for City's changed XI, when, just one minute into the match, Eli King was dispossessed on the edge of his own area. The ball fell into the path of Pigott, who probably rushed his effort when he had time on his hands, and fired off a shot immediately, forcing Alnwick into a smart early save.

However, that would be the outlier, rather than the norm, because the hosts utterly dominated proceedings in the first half after that. In fact, they ended the first period with almost 80 percent possession. You'd be hard pressed to find that statistic in the recent past.

The frustrating thing for Cardiff, which has been the case in the first two league games, too, is that they did everything right, right up until they got 20 yards from goal. With no target man to cross to and with Pompey defending deep, City began to run out of ideas on the edge of the box and were reduced to speculative shots from range. The first of which saw Joe Ralls rifle one inches one from 20 yards out with a low, driven effort which cannoned into the stanchion pole.

Cardiff did actually think they had taken the lead after 12 minutes when Campbell belted a shot across goal, which ricocheted off Mark Harris and into the net, but the official flagged for offside against the Wales international.

Tanner let fly from the edge of the area a couple of times, but just looked a little rushed and uncomfortable, which is perhaps understandable given the level from which he has stepped up. King wasn't afraid to try his luck from 25 yards, either, but had no luck.

Philogene was Cardiff's main threat by some distance over on the left flank. His tricky feet was the closest thing Cardiff had to a potent weapon. On one occasion, he architected a fantastic chance after dribbling upfield and releasing Gavin Whyte with a clever reverse pass. The Northern Ireland international's shot fired past the keeper but was kept out by Pompey skipper Sean Raggett on the line.

The second half started a little more evenly, with the visitors having ironed out some of the kinks in their game at the break. But after a few half chances at either end, the deadlock was broken.

A poor pass from Nelson left Campbell short and Pompey nicked in to win it before Pigott was found in the box. He mis-hit the shot first time, but he won't have cared when he watched it back into the back of the net off the post.

And the defender's night went from bad to worse when he hauled down Michael Morrison in the box to concede his second penalty in as many games. The referee took his time to award it, but eventually pointed to the spot. Curtis did not mess about and belted it as hard as he could - almost bursting the net as he doubled the visitors' lead.

And just four minutes later the knockout blow was served. A corner put to the back post saw Colby Bishop rise above Joel Bagan and head well, back across goal, to make it three.

Some nice footwork and go-forward from Rubin Colwill, who it was nice to see out on the pitch, was about as promising as it got in the late stages for Cardiff, who never really looked like registering another meaningful attempt on goal. The frustration built and Campbell got hot-headed and flew into a tackle on Joe Rafferty. It looked nasty and he paid the punishment. The icing on a very ugly cake, as far as Cardiff were concerned.

Out of the Carabao Cup at the first time of asking. A disheartening evening, to say the least, for Morison, his players and the fans in attendance.

Cardiff City XI: Alnwick; Campbell, Denham, Nelson, Bagan; King, Ralls; Whyte (Ojo 52); Tanner (R. Colwill 52), Philogene (Etete 72); Harris (Semenyo 90).

Subs: Allsop, McGuinness, Wintle, J. Colwill, Watters.

Portsmouth XI: Griffiths; Swanson, Mnoga, Raggett (Morrison 45), Rafferty; Dale (Hackett 63), Mingi, Pack (Lowery 45); Curtis, Pigott (Jacobs 64), Scarlett (Bishop 62).

Subs: Oluwayemi, Freeman, Thompson, Jewitt-White.
Attachments
0_JS274263095.jpg
0_JS274263095.jpg (140.32 KiB) Viewed 3879 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: CCFC TONIGHT / REPORTERS REPORT:

Postby OwainGlyndŵr123 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:08 pm

I don’t get how people can call it a strong team? Campbell, Denham, Philogene, Tanner, King, Bagan all youngsters, all unproven at this level apart from bagan. Then we had Nelson, Harris and Whyte who nobody rates. The only proven decent player that started was Ralls. Although Philogene sounded promising on commentary.
OwainGlyndŵr123

Postby Winchmore Hill Bluebird » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:12 pm

OwainGlyndŵr123 wrote:I don’t get how people can call it a strong team? Campbell, Denham, Philogene, Tanner, King, Bagan all youngsters, all unproven at this level apart from bagan. Then we had Nelson, Harris and Whyte who nobody rates. The only proven decent player that started was Ralls. Although Philogene sounded promising on commentary.

This makes me feel a little better. Thanks for stating the above which nobody else has on the message boards which I have read so far.
Winchmore Hill Bluebird

Postby Forever Blue » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:18 pm

[quote="OwainGlyndŵr123"]I don’t get how people can call it a strong team? Campbell, Denham, Philogene, Tanner, King, Bagan all youngsters, all unproven at this level apart from bagan. Then we had Nelson, Harris and Whyte who nobody rates. The only proven decent player that started was Ralls. Although Philogene sounded promising on commentary.[/quote]

Of course it’s a strong team, they are not young kids and all old enough to be in the first team, they are Morison’s players and part of this seasons first team squad.

We played league 1 Pompey and got smashed 3nil at home.

We had a strong bench.

Including the bench there were plenty of first team players tonight.
Attachments
C46498F6-D337-403B-AE24-29CEE9AF2205.jpeg
C46498F6-D337-403B-AE24-29CEE9AF2205.jpeg (373.81 KiB) Viewed 3465 times

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Winchmore Hill Bluebird » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:20 pm

Let’s agree to disagree and move on to Saturday, Annis.
Winchmore Hill Bluebird

Postby Bluebird1977 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:21 pm

OwainGlyndŵr123 wrote:I don’t get how people can call it a strong team? Campbell, Denham, Philogene, Tanner, King, Bagan all youngsters, all unproven at this level apart from bagan. Then we had Nelson, Harris and Whyte who nobody rates. The only proven decent player that started was Ralls. Although Philogene sounded promising on commentary.

One minute the same media are calling them kids at 21 and 22 years old in reports and the next a strong team. Baffles me although I don't read any media bulllshit. Eitherway they got to play games to get starting the way I see it. Although in my opinion if your not playing first team by 20 your not good enough in most cases. This whole kids thing they talk off there not kids there men adults ffs. Kills me when u see that headline on some reports.
:bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: “We will dust ourselves down and go again” :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:
Bluebird1977

Postby Forever Blue » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:27 pm

Bluebird1977 wrote:

One minute the same media are calling them kids at 21 and 22 years old in reports and the next a strong team. Baffles me although I don't read any media bulllshit. Eitherway they got to play games to get starting the way I see it. Although in my opinion if your not playing first team by 20 your not good enough in most cases. This whole kids thing they talk off there not kids there men adults ffs. Kills me when u see that headline on some reports.

Spot on Ian,

Don’t forget Dalman decides on what’s said.

One minute these players are supposedly going to be dynamite and now well?

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Forever Blue » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:28 pm

Winchmore Hill Bluebird wrote:Let’s agree to disagree and move on to Saturday, Annis.

:thumbright:

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby castleblue » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:55 pm

Bluebird1977 wrote:

I think the "Strong Team" is bollocks because from the moment I saw the team I thought the spine of our team was just ALL WRONG and that I'm afraid is down to Steve Morison. The Denham / Nelson pairing looked a car crash waiting to happen and tonight Nelson proved that point twice.

As for the holding midfielders Ralls was OK but King looks raw and needs to go out on loan to get experience because surely he cannot be risked in the Championship. Ahead of them Tanner has a long way to go before he is ready for the Championship, Philogene is raw but is closer than Tanner to the first team and Whtye just flatters to deceive and needs to be moved on which leaves us with Mark Harris how on earth can Steve Morison play him up front by himself it beggers belief he couldn't get in that pompey side.

Far from being a strong team it was a weak and inexperienced team in a poor formation and we got exactly what we deserved. SM is blaming the player by saying he gave them the opportunity to claim a starting place on Saturday and none of them took it. For me he gave them a hospital pass and he needs to have a good long look in the mirror.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:
castleblue

Postby New Day Rising » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:22 am

I'm with Morison they should have shown more composure and purpose to force him to chose sone for Saturday, critically Nelson gets booked after 7 minutes which puts him under pressure and his game has gone backwards need to be moved on ..

This was a League One side therefore some should have been up for it and delivering...
New Day Rising

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:32 am

Couldn’t agree more.
How anyone can call that team full of inexperience a strong team is beyond me.

Morison could have done one of two things .. put out his first team and put in one or two players like Philogene and Colwill and tried to win the game

Or .. put in an inexperienced team to look and see if any can step up.

I’m sure he learnt a lot from last nights game but in my opinion got it wrong. We should have gone to win at all costs.
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Return to General Chat