Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

MY VIEW: CARDIFF PUT OUT A VERY GOOD SIDE V LEAGUE 1 POMPEY

Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:36 pm

MY VIEW: CARDIFF CITY PUT OUT A VERY GOOD SIDE V LEAGUE 1 POMPEY / BUT A 2ND HALF OF POOR DEFENDING / NO ONE TAKING THE GAME TO POMPEY & NO FIGHT BACK BY CARDIFF SAW CARDIFF OUT OF THE EFL CUP :cry: :cry:

Alnwick for me was awful, defending in second-half awful, Nelson awful, no fight back in team.

2 defeats in a row and not creating in front of goal by Cardiff is becoming already costly and seems to be a continuation of how Cardiff finished of last season.

Very early days, but 2 defeats in a row against not good opposition.

One shot on target against lower league opposition. Just not good enough in my view :cry: :cry:

Mark Harris without doubt not the answer and surely by now Morison knows that?

Morison let Harris play 90mins but Watters 50mins???

The Bright side of the night was when Tanner was replaced by Rubin Colwill, who created a coule of good chances and shots :bluebird: :bluebird:

EFL ROUND 1

FIRST-HALF: Cardiff were in control for most of the half, but Pompey also had a couple of chances, City played well against the league 1 team. End of the half. Dominant from Cardiff. Just lacked that end product, be coming quite common in matches by Cardiff.

Jaden Philogene and Vontae Campbell looked good :bluebird: :bluebird:

SECOND -HALF: 52nd min: Tanner off, Rubin Colwill on. Whyte off, Ojo on.
58th min, City conceded an awful, terrible defending and goalkeeping :cry: :cry:
Pompey took control and after 6 subs by Pompey,
Penalty! Nelson brings down a Pompey forward.Ronan Curtis made it 0-2 :cry: :cry:
72nd min, easy header for Pompey 0-3 :cry: :cry:

CARDIFF CITY 0 PORTSMOUTH 3 :cry: :cry: :cry:
H-T
Crowd
Away Support 1,170 Portsmouth fans

Cardiff City: Alnwick; Campbell, Denham, Nelson, Bagan; King, Ralls, Whyte; Tanner, Harris, Philogene.

Subs: Allsop, McGuinness, Semenyo, Wintle, J. Colwill, R. Colwill, Ojo, Etete, Watters.

GOAL! Cardiff City 0-1 Portsmouth (Pigott 58) :cry: :cry:
Nelson with a poor pass to Campbell and Pompey intercept high up the pitch. The ball is played to Pigott and he bundles the ball into the bottom corner. Awful goal.

68th min: Penalty! Nelson brings down Michael Morrison after a corner is taken. Hesitation from the referee but it's eventually given. GOAL! Cardiff City 0-2 Portsmouth (Curtis 68)
Ronan Curtis from the spot. :cry: :cry:

GOAL! Cardiff City 0-3 Portsmouth (Bishop 72) :cry: :cry: :cry:
Headed goal. Colby Bishop from the corner. Alnwick nightmare

73min Etete on for Philogene.

Campbell for Cardiff sent off in 89th min for Cardiff :cry:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: MY VIEW: CARDIFF PUT OUT A VERY GOOD SIDE V LEAGUE 1 POM

Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:41 pm

Sat Jul 30 Cardiff City 1 Norwich City 0 Crowd :thumbright: 19,969 Away Support 1,480 Jamilu Collins :bluebird:

Sat Aug 6 – Reading 2 Cardiff City 1 :cry: :cry: Crowd 13,866 Away Support 2,100 O'Downda

Tuesday Aug 9~ EFL Cup Rd1 Cardiff City 0 Portsmouth 3 :cry: :cry:

Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:42 pm

Sat Aug 13 – Birmingham City (H) 12:30pm SKY TV.

Wed Aug 17 8pm – West Bromwich Albion (A)

Sunday Aug 21– Bristol City (A) 12pm SKY TV

Sat Aug 27 – Preston North End (H)

Tue Aug 30 – Luton Town (H)

Sat Sep 3 – Millwall (A)

Sat Sep 10 – Hull City (H)

Tue Sep 13 – Middlesbrough (A)

Sat Sep 17 – Huddersfield Town (A)

Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:43 pm

Awful. But we always perform poorly in the cup, roll on sat.

Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:45 pm

Absolutely nothing positive to take from this game. Morison treated it like a pre-season experiment and rightfully we got beaten. The style has evolved which is positive but we have no cutting edge and defensively we look brittle. He also seems to fail to motivate his teams properly. Where is the fight? Deflated but not surprised. Morison has limited goodwill from me following the derby game last year and my patience will break if we lose again Saturday.

Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:47 pm

Weird he lets Harris play a full 90 after not scoring but drags watters off after 50 minutes

Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:48 pm

Replies lies FB:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:50 pm

Reply FB:

Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:53 pm

Sharp as a sausage .This is his team .no excuses .1 shot on target. These are players we vetted they havent been plucked out of then air .

Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:54 pm

Very disappointing. Of those who started tonight, only Philogene has staked a claim to play on Saturday.

We were in control first half but fell apart in the second half.

Nelson was beyond awful. Talk about Denham going out on loan now we've signed Simpson but would much rather Nelson go.

It'll be a much better team on Saturday that starts and it must be a much better performance.

Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:55 pm

That was a strong side put out

Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:03 pm

Why are people surprised? Eight :? championship clubs gone out to lower league
opponents? Dont take it seriously and this is what happens.... obviously championship reserve sides are not as good as made out. :old:

Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:03 pm

Forever Blue wrote:That was a strong side put out

Is it though. Its talented but too many young untried players and no actual striker. Harris is not a focal point. Watters needed to play tonight to gain confidence or Etete. The lack of fight and basic errors worries me more. Are we a soft touch? Where are the warriors in the team?

Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:13 pm

Some slight positives from tonight, some glaringly obvious negatives.

First of all, I thought Denham looked very good tonight. Was impressed with Philogene and Whyte in the first half. You can tell Etete has been schooled at a top club, then he looks next to him and sees Mark Harris. He genuinely played with better players than Harris at Northampton and Cheltenham last season.

How many chances does Nelson need? A so called championship experienced defender?! Bloke doesn’t know what he’s doing and costs us time after time but people, and most worryingly, the manager still continue to back him and pick him. Saw McGuiness warming up in the 90th minute. What chance has the kid got when he’s training with the likes of Nelson every day.

Harris, can anyone please tel me what he does apart from run aimlessly with his head down and then loses the ball so easily. Harris has played approximately 180 mins out of the 270 mins we have played as a team this season. If he plays anymore then we are in deep trouble. People have a go at Watters, Harris isn’t fit to lace his boots.

Disappointed with Tanner too, didn’t look interested, didn’t work hard off the ball and I think a season in the 21s or out on loan awaits.

Pompey played some cracking stuff once Pack went off. Wouldn’t have minded than Dane Scarlett up top for us, would def do a job in the championship.

Wouldn’t read too much into cup games apart from the fact that Nelson and Harris are a waste of space and will cost us a lot more points than they will ever win us.

Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:17 pm

Lacked cutting edge. Second half dreadful

But.

If it sorts out the wheat from the the chaff. Then it ultimately will be a positive. Tanner getting game time is good too for his development

Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:24 pm

Could we run with a smaller squad now we've been kicked out of another cup.
Perhaps loan sell 6-8 players and bring maybe 3 in.
Lets face it the u23 side could'nt have done any worse/

Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:28 pm

Some were given the chance to state their claim for a start next game tonight ....

Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:37 pm

EastleighBlue wrote:Absolutely nothing positive to take from this game. Morison treated it like a pre-season experiment and rightfully we got beaten. The style has evolved which is positive but we have no cutting edge and defensively we look brittle. He also seems to fail to motivate his teams properly. Where is the fight? Deflated but not surprised. Morison has limited goodwill from me following the derby game last year and my patience will break ifwe lose again Saturday.

Very poor second half after controlling the first.
Positives - Vontae (apart from sending off), Philogene in particular out of the starting 11 and Ralls worked his nuts off. Ojo did well when he came on.
Negatives - Nelson, Denham (maybe due to his partner). Really don’t see anything in King I’m afraid - certainly not ready for first team.

Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:39 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Very disappointing. Of those who started tonight, only Philogene has staked a claim to play on Saturday.

We were in control first half but fell apart in the second half.

Nelson was beyond awful. Talk about Denham going out on loan now we've signed Simpson but would much rather Nelson go.

It'll be a much better team on Saturday that starts and it must be a much better performance.

Ned, that post pretty much sums ut up for me...

We certainly weren't "crap" for 90 minutes but (worryingly) there were several comparisons to Saturday's capitulation v Reading...

Specifically, we started very well, looked well in control and did everything bar score a couple of goals...

Then xame the late first half 'levelling' before the half-time break gave both managers the opportunity to coach their teams to better things in the second half

Sadly, lije at Reading, City seemed to retreat into their shells, whilst Pompey grew with confidence, endeavour and (ultimately) an end product

They (Pompey) deserved their win and I wish them and their great support well going forward in this competition

From our point of view, Steve Morison nerds to stop arguing with the 4th Official and the odd foul-mouthed 'expert' in the crowd and concentrate on getting his squad, uhm, concentrating

No excuses tonight. This wasn't a depleted team, as we don't currently know our 'best XI' with so many changes and new additions

Some will have done themselves no harm (Eli King the pick for me), whilst others (Curtis Nelson and Joel Bagan) seemed to be miles from what is required

As Annis says, still early days to be jumping to conclusions; but two performances similar in declining pattern/performance in 4 days need to be addressed quickly

Roll on Birmingham City and a chance to put things right this Saturday (live on Sky Sports)

Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:32 pm

Crowd 6,303. Pompey fans 1,114