A VIEW FROM THE GAME (v READING)

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Sven » Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:51 pm

Where do we start on this one, as we travel back?

Well, before the start seems good, as both sides 'took the knee' with two notable abstainers on the Reading side

City were 'on it' from the start and after a couple of strong attacks, took the lead in the 4th minute with a decent effort from Callum O'Dowda, as the Bluebirds strength and pace caused Reading copious amounts of problems

But as ever, with the Bluebirds creating enough to be 2 or 3 up, a single moment changed the balance of direction of the game

Curtis Nelson tugged a Reading player back and a penalty was (rightly) awarded before being converted after a minor melee that resulted in bookings

From that point on, Reading found confidence and grew into the game, causing the Bluebirds problems; but we still played some good stuff and the attending support mainly believed we would still go on and win the game

The second half continued much the same as the latter part of the first and both sided were doing okay without really threatening the others goal but then came the second decisive moment of the game, which was very reminiscent of last season; the Bluebird defence was opened up too easily through the middle and the impressive (always against us) Tom Ince ran through, looked up and fired in a shot that will be (or close to) Reading's goal of the season :clap:

Reading's confidence grew and they tried to close the game down as the Bluebirds made substitutions that saw Mark Harris replace Watters and we saw the introduction of new signing Kion Etete; both of whom did well in their time on the field

The Bluebirds huffed and puffed and maybe lacked a little composure to unlock the Reading time-waste tactics and we wasted some developing attacks with poor final balls and/or decisions to allow Reading to 'see out' the game and take the three points

OPINION:

My personal opinion is that the Bluebirds started superbly, took the lead and were well on top; but the two incidents preceding both Reading goals showed Steve Morison where he might need to focus some attention in the coming weeks...

Firstly, Curtis Nelson seems to have an error in him per game and today was a case in point; beaten by his man, he resorted to a blatant 'pull' and the penalty was converted smartly

For me, the return of Perry Ng will redreess the balance at the back...

Secondly, the defensive frailty through the middle show itself today and we paid a heavy price with Ince's great goal

That said, I am disappointed but not disheartened or overly disappointed, as I saw some good performanced out there todayand I am liking what I perceive Steve Morison is trying to do. We will make mistakes but we will grow as a team/squad as the season develops and (for me) Kion Etete will have a postive effect up front

Finally, the travelling support were immense today and I felt got behind the fresh team and the manager; the latter of whom felt the nerd to apologise the supporters in the away end

Was it required? Personally, I think not after a decent enough performance; but it is refreshing that Steve Morison is hurt by the loss and wants better going forward. That's one thing he and the club's supporters 100% want going forward

A bad result but we saw the glint of promise in the game! :ayatollah:

FINAL SCORE: READING 2 - 1 CARDIFF CITY
Bluebird scorer: Callum O'Dowda (4 mins)
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: A VIEW FROM THE GAME (v READING)

Postby EastleighBlue » Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:49 pm

A fair summary of the game. It was not a poor performance and for the first thirty minutes we were excellent. The game swung on our mistakes rather anything Reading did, they then managed the game very well. Perhaps what was a bit disappointing was how the team faded out in the second half in terms of energy and ideas. I do worry we may be a soft touch againts some physical teams but equally we showed a lot of skill and creativity on the ball to suggest we will hurt teams too. Etete has to start the next game. Watters offers nothing. I want hin to do well but game by game I just can't see it. He needs a goal maybe but I don't hold much hope, another striker is needed. I am certainly patient and not too dispondent this evening.
EastleighBlue

Postby Llantwit Blue » Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:21 pm

We need to ship Nelson and McGuiness out bring another center half in and two strikers.
Llantwit Blue

Postby davids » Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:00 pm

Just got back and agree to an extent.

I agree we started really well, moving the ball nicely and causing them all sorts of problems. O'Dowda is good in the air and scored a good goal and shortly thereafter he had a fine shot which the keeper did well to keep out and if that had gone in we may have gone on to win the game.

Then came Nelson's moment of madness for which he should have definitely been sent off. And then it was like somebody had flicked a switch and all the energy drained out of us and an injury ravaged Reading began to take more control of the game and were beginning to have some joy through the middle of our defense. They should have gone ahead just before half time but their lad somehow put it over the bar from close in.

We huffed and puffed in the second half without creating much until they went ahead. Joe Ralls completely lost Tom Ince who ran straight past him and blasted a swerving shot past Allsop who had no chance. He's a knob but it was a great shot to be fair.

What did concern me slightly was that after their second goal it seemed as if we abandoned our attempts to build through midfield and resorted to long balls from the keeper and centre halfs down the channels and towards the head of Etete when he came on.At times towards the end it was quite reminiscent of last season.

So which Cardiff City is the real one? The team that beat Norwich last week or the team that lost to a patched up Reading? The answer is probably a bit of both and whilst disappointed today I also was not too disheartened. It's early days and things will take time to gel. Onwards and upwards.

Just a final word on Max Watters. For me there is no way he is good enough to play in the Championship. He never looks like he is going to score, rarely gets into the right positions and doesn't work hard enough to put defenders under pressure. However why does Morison continue to humiliate him in the way he does? It would have been better surely to withdraw him at half time rather than take him off six minutes after half time? What exactly did he expect him to do in six minutes?

It was childish, petty and almost vindictive behaviour from Morison and even if Watters was having a poor game it was a classless way of treating the young man who looked crestfallen when he saw his number being held up.
davids

Postby Chris Holmes » Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:26 pm

IMG_4215.jpg
IMG_4215.jpg (900.14 KiB) Viewed 2446 times
Sven wrote:Where do we start on this one, as we travel back?

Well, before the start seems good, as both sides 'took the knee' with two notable abstainers on the Reading side

City were 'on it' from the start and after a couple of strong attacks, took the lead in the 4th minute with a decent effort from Callum O'Dowda, as the Bluebirds strength and pace caused Reading copious amounts of problems

But as ever, with the Bluebirds creating enough to be 2 or 3 up, a single moment changed the balance of direction of the game

Curtis Nelson tugged a Reading player back and a penalty was (rightly) awarded before being converted after a minor melee that resulted in bookings

From that point on, Reading found confidence and grew into the game, causing the Bluebirds problems; but we still played some good stuff and the attending support mainly believed we would still go on and win the game

The second half continued much the same as the latter part of the first and both sided were doing okay without really threatening the others goal but then came the second decisive moment of the game, which was very reminiscent of last season; the Bluebird defence was opened up too easily through the middle and the impressive (always against us) Tom Ince ran through, looked up and fired in a shot that will be (or close to) Reading's goal of the season :clap:

Reading's confidence grew and they tried to close the game down as the Bluebirds made substitutions that saw Mark Harris replace Watters and we saw the introduction of new signing Kion Etete; both of whom did well in their time on the field

The Bluebirds huffed and puffed and maybe lacked a little composure to unlock the Reading time-waste tactics and we wasted some developing attacks with poor final balls and/or decisions to allow Reading to 'see out' the game and take the three points

OPINION:

My personal opinion is that the Bluebirds started superbly, took the lead and were well on top; but the two incidents preceding both Reading goals showed Steve Morison where he might need to focus some attention in the coming weeks...

Firstly, Curtis Nelson seems to have an error in him per game and today was a case in point; beaten by his man, he resorted to a blatant 'pull' and the penalty was converted smartly

For me, the return of Perry Ng will redreess the balance at the back...

Secondly, the defensive frailty through the middle show itself today and we paid a heavy price with Ince's great goal

That said, I am disappointed but not disheartened or overly disappointed, as I saw some good performanced out there todayand I am liking what I perceive Steve Morison is trying to do. We will make mistakes but we will grow as a team/squad as the season develops and (for me) Kion Etete will have a postive effect up front

Finally, the travelling support were immense today and I felt got behind the fresh team and the manager; the latter of whom felt the nerd to apologise the supporters in the away end

Was it required? Personally, I think not after a decent enough performance; but it is refreshing that Steve Morison is hurt by the loss and wants better going forward. That's one thing he and the club's supporters 100% want going forward

A bad result but we saw the glint of promise in the game! :ayatollah:

FINAL SCORE: READING 2 - 1 CARDIFF CITY
Bluebird scorer: Callum O'Dowda (4 mins)
Chris Holmes

Postby cendl blue » Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:56 am

Agree with most views on here. Was positive before the game and thought we played some nice stuff early on until they nullified Wintle. Never seemed to adjust properly after that.
I just don't rate Nelson. His distribution his appaling and decision making questionable at best. Never understand the logic of why defenders pull back in the area with the risk of sending off and penalty conceded. Leave the chance of a striker fluffing his chance. He was lucky to stay on for me.
As Sven said Ng coming back in sorts this out but if we want to play a passing game from the back he will need a bit more cover at the back perhaps.
Still more positive than last year.
cendl blue

Return to General Chat