Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Romaine Sawyers rumour ?

Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:36 am

Romaine Sawyers is apparently undergoing a medical today for City the rumour is , Decent signing

Re: Romaine Sawyers rumour ?

Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:57 am

That would be a good signing. Let's hope Scott Johnson doesn't tweet 'it's happening' as you can then guarantee its not.

Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:00 pm

Decent enough signing if it is true. Gives us vital experience and a bit of quality we are sorely lacking.

Id rather be talking about forwards.

Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:06 pm

This would be a good signing.

Although was at Stoke I believe last season who are keen on a return? All rumours though

Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:08 pm

Didn’t want Vaulks to leave as I couldn’t see us bettering our midfield to this extent but fair enough Rinomhota, Adams, Sawyers and Ralls contract is good business in his place. Could probably add another one or two on loan but agree with Barclay that we need to be pressing on forwards now

Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:08 pm

Decent player, championship experience.

Possibly announcing tomorrow along with the striker that has apparently signed? In the new kit perhaps?

I’d be happy with this signing.

Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:18 pm

As others have said, this is a good signing of a proven Championship player.

It certainly will help taking the pressure off some of the unproven signings and allow them to grow into it.

A striker would be good but I have a feeling we've still got a bit of time to wait if Morison is targeting the Prem loan market for real quality.

Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:27 pm

This would be an astute signing.

We have some decent attacking players but as of yet most are unproven (Colwill, Davies etc) or haven't had decent recent form (O'dowda) - so Sawyers would actually me a smart signing and could bring those youngster along... playmaker with some decent pace and creativity and proven at this level

Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:55 pm

Barclay1 wrote:Decent enough signing if it is true. Gives us vital experience and a bit of quality we are sorely lacking.

Barclay mate, what if he doesn’t command a fee? :thumbup: Only kidding mate.

Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:19 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:Decent enough signing if it is true. Gives us vital experience and a bit of quality we are sorely lacking.

Ive never said that there are not decent free's to be had. What I do believe, is that there is often the chance that we can't get what we want from a free and so we will have to fork out a little money to remain competitive, but we refuse to.

Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:20 pm

Barclay1 wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

Ive never said that there are not decent free's to be had. What I do believe, is that there is often the chance that we can't get what we want from a free and so we will have to fork out a little money to remain competitive, but we refuse to.

Ok mate. Tbf you were one of the first to say he’d be a decent signing. :thumbup:

Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:21 pm

Barclay1 wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

I have said it before and i will say it again, there is money available ror the right player :thumbup:

Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:26 pm

Barclay1 wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

Huddersfield didn't fork out any money in fees why were they so competitive last season and not only team either.. ? Sometimes need take step back as there is more to see than looking through tunnel vision ;)

Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:50 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

Huddersfield didn't fork out any money in fees why were they so competitive last season and not only team either.. ? Sometimes need take step back as there is more to see than looking through tunnel vision ;)

Allan tunnel vision is a good description of this poster

Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:50 pm

Good signing if true and can play both the deep lying or the advanced playmaker role. I’d have hoped for a striker as the next signing and I think we’re okay in midfield at the moment. This would def see King heading out on loan.

Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:13 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

Allan tunnel vision is a good description of this poster

Only way I could put it... understand that it's good to pay for players of higher quality but those players are now running down contract to get bigger pay day as clubs unable to pay what they are worth on open market..... freebies are way forward take look at transfer market in championship 99% of transfers so far are free or undisclosed with occasional fee... fans need to realise big payouts are limited to relegated clubs now.... ffp will hit several clubs this season making situation harder...

Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:25 pm

I'm not an advocate of big payouts, but the need to spend adequate, sufficient money where neccessary, over and above agents fees and wages and signing on fees.

A highly respected poster says money is available for the right player. I would like to see this. Until it happens I would struggle to believe the regime would put their hands in their pockets.

Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:35 pm

Barclay1 wrote:I'm not an advocate of big payouts, but the need to spend adequate, sufficient money where neccessary, over and above agents fees and wages and signing on fees.

A highly respected poster says money is available for the right player. I would like to see this. Until it happens I would struggle to believe the regime would put their hands in their pockets.

But do you not think that sawyers (if he does come) would command a pretty big signing on fee etc?

Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:47 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:I'm not an advocate of big payouts, but the need to spend adequate, sufficient money where neccessary, over and above agents fees and wages and signing on fees.

But do you not think that sawyers (if he does come) would command a pretty big signing on fee etc?

Paying a signing on fee doesn't count as putting hand in pocket? Has got to be a transfer fee or it doesn't count...:lol:

Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:50 pm

He may do, but every club will pay signing on fees.

I would say that if a players decision is based on whoever pays the highest signing on fee, then he's not necessarily the right player for us.

I would guess, and its a guess, that we were not going to be the highest by any stretch when it comes to paying signing on fees.

I'd re-iterate, free's can be good value, but I think we all have to also agree that a certain type of player with certain levels of skill or experience is not always available on a free.

Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:00 pm

Barclay1 wrote:He may do, but every club will pay signing on fees.

I would say that if a players decision is based on whoever pays the highest signing on fee, then he's not necessarily the right player for us.

I would guess, and its a guess, that we were not going to be the highest by any stretch when it comes to paying signing on fees.

I'd re-iterate, free's can be good value, but I think we all have to also agree that a certain type of player with certain levels of skill or experience is not always available on a free.

No they cost far more money than 95% of championship clubs can afford.... and we do not operate in that 5% so why not accept this instead of bleating on about the regime and not putting hand in their pockets paying for something that we cannot afford... trouble is we could spend 5m on player but you'll turn your attention on the quality of the freebie players so nothing would change as far as your concerned .... its really is like listening to a broken record ..

Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:03 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

No they cost far more money than 95% of championship clubs can afford.... and we do not operate in that 5% so why not accept this instead of bleating on about the regime and not putting hand in their pockets paying for something that we cannot afford... trouble is we could spend 5m on player but you'll turn your attention on the quality of the freebie players so nothing would change as far as your concerned .... its really is like listening to a broken record ..

Your quite right, it is like listening to a broken record.

I'll stick to my views, you stick to yours.

Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:24 pm

Good signing if so wez. Highly rated a few years back but wrong move didn't work out. Fingers crossed :bluescarf:

Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:07 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

“Is like listening to a broken record …” You’re excelling yourself today!

The difference is you and many can take a balanced view of things but this guy is blinkered and his bitterness means he can’t see anything else.

You and many others can chat on many subjects whilst Barclay only ever moans about one subject.
He left once but his own self importance meant he had to come back and continue.

Notice he never posts about much else like the brilliant job the board are doing with the prices to watch my team?

Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:12 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

“Is like listening to a broken record …” You’re excelling yourself today!

The difference is you and many can take a balanced view of things but this guy is blinkered and his bitterness means he can’t see anything else.

You and many others can chat on many subjects whilst Barclay only ever moans about one subject.
He left once but his own self importance meant he had to come back and continue.

Notice he never posts about much else like the brilliant job the board are doing with the prices to watch my team?

Am excelling as laid low with covid plenty of time on hands....Try not to get to involved with pointless debates on here..... but every know and again get bored so join in :laughing6:

Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:58 pm

You're out of date no big payouts now, it's a different market!

Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:07 pm

Very good signing if true.

Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:24 pm

Bluebina wrote:

You're out of date no big payouts now, it's a different market!

Got to ask the question ? What's the difference between £1m transfer fee and £1m signing on fee?
And Do they come out of different pockets... :o

Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:37 pm

Scored 9 goals in around 213 championship games. Not being funny but I reckon I could get 5 or 6 in that number of games and I'm 48. He's not for me.

Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:12 pm

Einstein wrote:Scored 9 goals in around 213 championship games. Not being funny but I reckon I could get 5 or 6 in that number of games and I'm 48. He's not for me.

:lol: I'm willing to bet all the money I have you couldn't - and I think Im on a winner here as by the time you play that number of professional league and cup games, allowing for injuries, you'd be 96 and still on 0 goals. :lol: