Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

BLUEBIRD FITNESS GURU: "PLAYERS OUTSTANDING"

Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:56 am

'Outstanding' - New Cardiff City chief impressed with Bluebirds test results as players rated 'next level'
By Matthew Davies

The Bluebirds have headed to Scotland on a week-long training camp

Cardiff City are busy getting ready for the upcoming season on a team bonding and training week in Scotland.

Steve Morison has taken his squad to Edinburgh Oriam, Scotland's national performance centre for sport, which is based at Heriot-Watt University's Riccarton campus. The facility in the west of the city is used by the Scottish Rugby Union, the Scottish Football Association and Hearts.

It's a great chance for the Bluebirds' new players to fully integrate with their team-mates in a relaxed atmosphere. Nine new bodies have joined the squad in the last few weeks and getting them in tune with Morison's methods as quickly as possible is vital to a fast start to the campaign.

The players' fitness and application is obviously a big part of that, and the club's new head of physical performance, Patrick Wilson, has been impressed by the general levels he is already seeing after just seven days.

"To be fair, if I can just reference the first week. The boys were outstanding," Wilson said from their camp in Scotland.

"We got to the backend of the week and we tested them properly and the application, the intent, the attitude they brought, to really hard, high dense, really physical training was next level.

"In between they were able to have a bit of banter, a bit of bite-back, I love that. It's a great sign of a group. It's a great sign they are starting to gel.

"One of the biggest parts is helping them reach their potential. These are phenomenal athletes, phenomenal people. They do not get to a club at a position like this without having something really, really special, and it's about try to find the best possible way to make that special shine come competition
."

Wilson joins the Bluebirds after three years with Bath Rugby initially as their head of strength and conditioning before moving into the role of head of athletic performance. He says he has settled into his new position well, revealing it was too good an opportunity to turn down when he was made aware of the role with the Championship club.

"It's been excellent," he added. "People here have been brilliant, they've been so welcoming. Every corner I turn people are coming over, shaking hands, introducing themselves, telling me about themselves, asking me about myself. I've just enjoyed getting to know people.

"Cardiff is such a big club. I remember when the job got posted and sent through to me. I looked at it and i just couldn't turn down the opportunity and putting my hat in the ring.

"Lucky enough, going through the process I came out on top, I am absolutely buzzing coming into it, and to work in the top sport in the globe is something very special, specifically with a club like this. It's truly special for me
."

With so many news faces in the group, getting to know one another is something Wilson believes is key to team harmony. Indeed, bonding is very much at the forefront of his mind when he instils his fitness and performance methods.

"Primarily the most important thing is building relationships," he added.

"Becoming family as you to do that together, making sure the whole journey is enjoyable, that to me is what is all about. Let's have fun doing something that is really, really challenging."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: BLUEBIRD FITNESS GURU: "PLAYERS OUTSTANDING"

Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:01 am

I love this interview, as it shows the direction, commitment and high standards expected from the Bluebird squad this season :clap:

I didn't think last season's squad were 'unfit' and we gained a lot of points late in games; but this 'next level' comment is indicative of Steve Morison's dirrction of travel and I have to say I am more and more looking forward to the season ahead :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluebird:

Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:13 am

Loving this guy already , what an attitude and outlook :bluescarf:

Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:11 pm

This sounds very encouraging.

I think we already had quite a pacey squad of players but to have players who are high on fitness as well is a bonus.

Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:23 pm

Ah he's not seen them after a full night out on the lash and eating kebabs qbd chips in Caroline Street 2am in the morning..?

Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:32 am

New Day Rising wrote:Ah he's not seen them after a full night out on the lash and eating kebabs qbd chips in Caroline Street 2am in the morning..?

He's probably seen more of that in his old job.