FREE AGENTS THAT THE BLUEBIRDS MIGHT CONSIDER?

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Sven » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:48 am

The ambitious free agents who could fit the final pieces of Cardiff City's jigsaw
Several notable names are still potentially available this summer
By Tom Coleman

Cardiff City's summer has already proved eventful to say the least but boss Steve Morison will know there is still plenty of work to be done ahead of the new campaign.

Having already brought nine players on board, there are still certain areas that are ripe for strengthening.

One position where fans would like to see some fresh blood is up front, with the Bluebirds already bidding farewell to loan duo Jordan Hugill and Uche Ikpeazu, as well as the injury-plagued Isaac Vassell in this window.

Cardiff clearly don't have a lot of money to spend, which is something of a significant disadvantage when it comes to trying to improve firepower. But that doesn't mean there aren't some really good options out there, particularly in the free agent market.

Andre Gray is one who Cardiff looked at earlier in the window, but there are several other similarly notable names out of contract this summer. Of course, Morison could well be tempted to cast the net abroad, but there are a few options closer to home potentially worth a closer look.

Joshua King

The Norwegian striker is a free agent after being released by Watford, and is looking for a fresh challenge after netting five Premier League goals last term.

The 30-year-old only joined the Hornets last summer after leaving Everton, and signed a two-year deal with the option for a third at Vicarage Road. However, following their relegation, the club decided to terminate his contract early, meaning he is now free to seek opportunities elsewhere.

He's an option who would surely go down well with City fans, particularly given his impressive record at this level, but Cardiff would surely have to work pretty hard to land him. The striker is surely on the radar of other clubs, while his wage demands might be beyond what Cardiff are able to offer.

Fraizer Campbell

This one would likely raise some eyebrows.

Campbell's talents once convinced Cardiff to part with £650,000 back in 2013, but his name has seemingly divided opinion in the capital ever since. He has since gone on to turn out for Crystal Palace and Hull City before signing on for Huddersfield Town in 2019, where he initially proved something of a hit.

Indeed, he played all but six games of the Terriers' 2020/21 campaign, scoring seven goals, with a goal of the year nomination along the way. But he struggled for game-time last term, mainly due to the form of ex-Cardiff striker Danny Ward. That said, the 34-year-old may well feel he still has something to offer at this level. Whether a return to the capital would ever happen is another question.

Matej Vydra

Vydra is currently in discussions with newly-relegated Burnley over a new deal, with his current contract set to expire in the coming days. According to The Athletic, a deal remains on the table for the 30-year-old, who has continued his recovery from an anterior cruciate ligament injury at home in the Czech Republic. While there's no rush on a decision over his future, it appears Burnley are well placed to keep him at Turf Moor.

At first glance, he subsequently seems an unlikely target, but should talks break down between the player and the Clarets for whatever reason, it would surely be an option worth exploring.

Then again, even if he were available there would be something of an uphill battle to seal his capture. His impressive record at this level means he'd surely have no shortage of suitors. There's also the question of whether Cardiff would be able to put together a package attractive enough for a player of his calibre.

Still, though...

Shane Long

The 35-year-old is still seen as an option by Southampton boss Ralph Hassenhüttl, with talks over a new deal at St Mary's seemingly still taking place.

Even so, with Che Adams and Chelsea loanee Armando Broja the preferred options for much of the season, there has still been a suggestion the Irishman might well be tempted to seek more regular opportunities elsewhere. Our colleagues at BerkshireLive claim former club Reading are keeping tabs on the situation, and a return to the Royals has been touted as a possible eventuality.

Given the Royals' precarious financial position, one would like to think Cardiff would be capable of trumping any offer that might arrive from Paul Ince's side. Whether they'd be at all interested remains to be seen.
Attachments
2_JS270610571.jpg
2_JS270610571.jpg (56.51 KiB) Viewed 5167 times
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: FREE AGENTS THAT THE BLUEBIRDS MIGHT CONSIDER?

Postby Paul Keevil » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:45 am

Matej Vydra

In my eyes he would be more than capable of scoring 20 goals a season
Looking for a Photographer?

Accredited Champions League, Premiership and FL Photographer
Cover RL, RU, Motorsport etc
Accredited - 2012 Olympic Games
Attend "Celebrity Events" - papping
Weddings & Porfolio Work
Paul Keevil

Postby Sven » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:54 am

Paul Keevil wrote:Matej Vydra

Paul, I agree. He is someone we have considered more than once before; and he always does his job against us! :laughing6:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby bluebird7291 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:04 pm

Vydra no brainer
King as a gamble on the right price
bluebird7291

Postby Paul Keevil » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:09 pm

Sven wrote:
Paul Keevil wrote:Matej Vydra

Paul, I agree. He is someone we have considered more than once before; and he always does his job against us! :laughing6:

Rather than spending a £1m on a player I would offer Vydra £20k more a week than Burnley (= £1m) and get a proven player for the same price.

Weddings & Porfolio Work
Paul Keevil

Postby JulesK » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:50 pm

Vydra out of that lot.
Keeping the Faith since '74.
JulesK

Postby Blue View » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:03 pm

Vydra out with an ACL injury until the end of the year.
Blue View

Postby Paul Keevil » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:49 pm

Blue View wrote:Vydra out with an ACL injury until the end of the year.

Well if any club is likely to "take a punt" on injured players its us!!!

Weddings & Porfolio Work
Paul Keevil

Postby FOOTSOLDIER » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:19 pm

No more injury prone players, ffs haven't we learned a lesson. :bluescarf:
FOOTSOLDIER

Postby JulesK » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:47 pm

Blue View wrote:Vydra out with an ACL injury until the end of the year.

Shame that but steer well clear.
Keeping the Faith since '74.
JulesK

Postby TopCat CCFC » Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:14 pm

FOOTSOLDIER wrote:No more injury prone players, ffs haven't we learned a lesson. :bluescarf:

Agree :thumbup:
TopCat CCFC

Return to General Chat