BLUEBIRDS CAN NOW CONTINUE GOOD WORK IN TRANSFER MARKET

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Sven » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:37 am

The Bluebirds have made wholesale changes to their playing squad this summer and the good work in the transfer window should not be sullied by the news of Gareth Bale's decision to move to LA

BY GLEN WILLIAMS ( Junior Reporter)

While clearly the overarching feeling will be one of disappointment for Cardiff City fans, Gareth Bale signing for Los Angeles FC on Saturday finally means a line can now thankfully be drawn under the whole saga.

The improbable signing of Bale would have, of course, represented a huge boon for the Bluebirds. Talks were held, offers were put forward, friends and managers believed a move to the Welsh capital would work and "tick boxes", but ultimately it was down to the Wales captain to decide where his future lay. That, for the next year at least, will be in California.

The silver lining here is that Cardiff fans can now move on and concentrate on what is actually going on at the club. We were told for months the Bluebirds were planning their recruitment based on not having Bale sign for them and that is exactly what they have done. Cardiff were never going to be built around Bale next season, but around a core of young, hungry players and new signings from here, there and everywhere.

The Bale news should not sully the two other very important and extremely positive bits of business Cardiff conducted over the last two days. Andy Rinomhota's signing from Reading should not go under the radar. Royals fans are extremely disappointed to see their 2019 player of the season leave and, at 25, Cardiff will be getting a player not yet in his prime and with lots to offer.

And then there is the best news of the summer for many City supporters, with fans' favourite Joe Ralls signing a two-year contract extension, which will take his time at the club to 14 years upon completion. “We're going into a new era, with new players, and it is something I'm really excited about," Ralls said on Saturday. "I'm looking forward to getting my head down now and focusing on having a good season with Cardiff City.”

The whole Bale saga, while gripping, was always caveated with ifs, buts and maybes. Now it is over, it's time to turn attentions to what is actually happening and what has already happened. Cardiff have signed nine new players and tied down one of their most important midfielders for another two years.

Their midfield stable now looks miles apart from the one they had last year, it is one packed with energy and points of difference. Ralls, Rinomhota, Ebou Adams and Ryan Wintle offer real competition for places and it's encouraging to see that area of the squad, which has needed addressing for some time, finally get the shake-up it has needed.

There is serious competition for the No.1 shirt, while Joel Bagan and Jamilu Collins will battle on the left and Mahlon Romeo and Vontae Daley-Campbell are vying for one spot on the right of the defence. Cardiff have also freshened up on the wings, another area which needed surgery, with the additions of the experienced Callum O'Dowda and the raw but exciting Ollie Tanner, who insiders claim can "be anything he wants to be". Tanner has also already impressed Perry Ng in the first few days of pre-season training, which you can read about here.

There is still a bit of a leap of faith needed from Cardiff fans. Players like Daley-Campbell, Jamilu Collins, Adams, Jak Alnwick and Tanner will be unknown quantities for the lay Bluebirds fan. Whether they are up to the task remains to be seen, but the recruitment department have been busy and decisive and have architected one of the most exciting summers in some time as far as Cardiff are concerned.

One supporter on social media summed the whole thing up rather well. He said there were going to be two ways of drumming up excitement and enthusiasm for the club this season; the signing of Gareth Bale or the backing of Steve Morison's project aiming to change the culture and playing style of a club with huge potential but needing to evolve to start troubling the top of the table again.

Next year will no doubt be a transitional year, too, with the bedding in of new philosophies as well as new signings, but it is a change of direction which was certainly needed and one, it seems, which has been universally welcomed by Cardiff fans, even if there is an element of the unknown as we prepare to witness Morison's first full campaign in charge.

There are still areas which need bolstering. Another centre-back or two is on the agenda - Everton's Jarrad Branthwaite has been linked with the club this weekend - while another couple of strikers wouldn't go amiss. There will be outgoings, too, to make room for such additions. Gavin Whyte, Tom Sang and James Collins are all candidates to potentially seek regular playing time elsewhere, while youngsters such as Eli King and Jai Semenyo will likely be open to loan moves away to gain more senior experience.

The Bale saga is all wrapped up now, put away neatly in a drawer for some time. Chairman Mehmet Dalman made it clear when speaking to WalesOnline that he would always be welcome at his hometown club whenever Bale decides that might be. If indeed he ever does decide that is what he wants.

In the meantime, though, a lot of positive changes are being implemented at Cardiff and that shouldn't slip under the radar. Even it it doesn't translate into immediate on-field success, this big overhaul will help to ensure the sustainability of the club going forward. Lowering wages, updating their playing style and harvesting the best crops in the academy to supplement the first team and potentially add transfer value at a later date, as we saw with the sale of James Connolly on Friday night.

It's a new-look Cardiff from top to bottom and the air of the unknown only adds to the excitement heading into the season. Nine signings, two more years of Joe Ralls and a big, much-needed clear-out can be viewed as a big positive. There will be more input expected from exciting prospects Rubin Colwill, Isaak Davies, Max Watters, Oliver Denham and Joel Bagan this season, too, all of whom have more Championship experience under their belts after last year.

A couple more additions, perhaps some real quality from the Premier League through the loan market, and who knows what might happen this season. It's one heck of a ride this summer, either way.
Attachments
0_snip2.jpg
0_snip2.jpg (46.31 KiB) Viewed 5277 times
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: BLUEBIRDS CAN NOW CONTINUE GOOD WORK IN TRANSFER MARKET

Postby Bakedalasker » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:13 am

We were all demanding total change on the pitch. That squad last season was very poor and the fact we got stuffed 7-0 over 2 games against the Jacks is proof of that.

The article says "good work" in its title but if we are in a relegation fight after 10 games that feeling will soon diminish. All I am going to do is wait and see.
Bakedalasker

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:12 am

Bakedalasker wrote:We were all demanding total change on the pitch. That squad last season was very poor and the fact we got stuffed 7-0 over 2 games against the Jacks is proof of that.

The article says "good work" in its title but if we are in a relegation fight after 10 games that feeling will soon diminish. All I am going to do is wait and see.

All anyone can do is wait and see because it’s a complete unknown.

This, for me, makes the upcoming season one of the most exciting we’ve seen for a long time. We could be great to watch in the top half of the table or we could bomb.

I’m pretty sure one thing we’ll need though is patience and understanding of the situation.
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby JulesK » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:55 am

Think it will need another window as all these new players cannot just drop into place surely so gaps will need filling when we find out what we lack but really looking forward to this season. At least we seem to have young hungry lads in.
Keeping the Faith since '74.
JulesK

Postby Igovernor » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:07 am

Chris good article from Wol considering what they normally write :thumbup: :ayatollah:
Igovernor

Postby Sneggyblubird » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:39 am

Already moved on .Certainly more excited this season than I have been for a while. The Gaffa seems to be singlehandedly dragging this club into the 21st century. Aided by a visionary owner and board. :lol:
Sneggyblubird

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:15 am

Sneggyblubird wrote:Already moved on .Certainly more excited this season than I have been for a while. The Gaffa seems to be singlehandedly dragging this club into the 21st century. Aided by a visionary owner and board. :lol:

Me too, the minute it was announced he was off elsewhere.

Whilst our board might not be ‘visionary’ they’re certainly doing a decent job.
If you think all this work is done by one person then you’re pretty naive.
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby Sven » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:40 am

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:Already moved on .Certainly more excited this season than I have been for a while. The Gaffa seems to be singlehandedly dragging this club into the 21st century. Aided by a visionary owner and board. :lol:

Me too, the minute it was announced he was off elsewhere.

Whilst our board might not be ‘visionary’ they’re certainly doing a decent job.
If you think all this work is done by one person then you’re pretty naive.

Paul, after the downsides of our Premier League 'successes' and both the social and financial difficulties of the pandemic, our club is being reshaped for the future and most would say that it is well overdue

For that, the club hierarchy can take some credit; particularly after some of the erroneous events of the past

The irony of many on here who now state 'forget Bale' but then continue to bemoan Vincent Tan's (now) historical mistakes, is not lost on me...

I ask myself, have they (nee Vincent Tan) learned?

It certainly seems so; and whether he is at the helm or not going forward, our future is looking a lot rosier than a lot of clubs around us :ayatollah:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby JulesK » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:14 am

Very true, cutting our cloth to suit will benefit us in the long run.
JulesK

Postby TheHangedMan » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:42 am

Interesting read from Glen, but I do have the feeling that a lot of the substance comes from this board......and that's fine by me.

I think we are in for one hell of a ride, and as all City fans pray for, I hope we are successful.

Chris puts it well when he states "our club is being reshaped for the future and most would say that it is well overdue". Time will tell but I suggest we all buckle ourselves in and go with the ride. :bluebird:
Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious........
TheHangedMan

Postby JulesK » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:49 pm

TheHangedMan wrote:Interesting read from Glen, but I do have the feeling that a lot of the substance comes from this board......and that's fine by me.

I think we are in for one hell of a ride, and as all City fans pray for, I hope we are successful.

Chris puts it well when he states "our club is being reshaped for the future and most would say that it is well overdue". Time will tell but I suggest we all buckle ourselves in and go with the ride. :bluebird:

Just like the old days then , bring it on.
JulesK

Return to General Chat