Interesting, City in Southern League.

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Don Keydick » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:04 pm

Bored this afternoon so I was looking at the history of City in the league. In 1920 the Football league wanted to form a Third division so they basically took the whole of the Southern League to form it. Pompey had been champions and Watford were second and Palace were third with us in fourth, but we got fast tracked into the second division and the others went into the Third division. Doesn't seem right but not complaining as we won promotion in that first season into the top flight. But does anyone know why we were put straight into the second division? Interesting to know a little bit about our history. :bluescarf:
Don Keydick

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Interesting, City in Southern League.

Postby Sneggyblubird » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:14 pm

Don Keydick wrote:Bored this afternoon so I was looking at the history of City in the league. In 1920 the Football league wanted to form a Third division so they basically took the whole of the Southern League to form it. Pompey had been champions and Watford were second and Palace were third with us in fourth, but we got fast tracked into the second division and the others went into the Third division. Doesn't seem right but not complaining as we won promotion in that first season into the top flight. But does anyone know why we were put straight into the second division? Interesting to know a little bit about our history. :bluescarf:

You may have answered your own question here. May well have considered us to be too strong for the lower leagues and it wasn't like it is today whereby all teams have to earn their stripes so to speak .
Sneggyblubird

Postby Wayne S » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:19 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:
Don Keydick wrote:Bored this afternoon so I was looking at the history of City in the league. In 1920 the Football league wanted to form a Third division so they basically took the whole of the Southern League to form it. Pompey had been champions and Watford were second and Palace were third with us in fourth, but we got fast tracked into the second division and the others went into the Third division. Doesn't seem right but not complaining as we won promotion in that first season into the top flight. But does anyone know why we were put straight into the second division? Interesting to know a little bit about our history. :bluescarf:

You may have answered your own question here. May well have considered us to be too strong for the lower leagues and it wasn't like it is today whereby all teams have to earn their stripes so to speak .

I think we were deemed to be strong. More in respects to potential as opposed to ability.

My grandfather often spoke about the City of Cardiff growth after the First World War, plus the Bute family were minted and helped the club expand.

Proved they were right as we got promoted in our first season.

Called "The Football League" as well with clubs from Wales and Scotland INVITED to join, just in case anyone ever needs to defend our place in the English system. Scotland set up their own leagues, Wales didn't.
Wayne S

Postby JJ1927 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:27 am

Both Newport and Swansea joined the League in the Third Division the same time as well as Merthyr. The following year Aberdare joined as well, with Wrexham coming into the newly formed Third Division North. The mid twenties were the best days for the Welsh club football with six teams in the League, City winning the cup, being losing finalists and runners up in the League.

But the crash and depression which followed soon put the end to that.
JJ1927

Postby Don Keydick » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:30 pm

JJ1927 wrote:Both Newport and Swansea joined the League in the Third Division the same time as well as Merthyr. The following year Aberdare joined as well, with Wrexham coming into the newly formed Third Division North. The mid twenties were the best days for the Welsh club football with six teams in the League, City winning the cup, being losing finalists and runners up in the League.

Am I right in saying that if the positions were calculated on goal difference then instead of goal average, then we would have been league champions? So close.
Don Keydick

Postby JJ1927 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:50 pm

Don Keydick wrote:
JJ1927 wrote:Both Newport and Swansea joined the League in the Third Division the same time as well as Merthyr. The following year Aberdare joined as well, with Wrexham coming into the newly formed Third Division North. The mid twenties were the best days for the Welsh club football with six teams in the League, City winning the cup, being losing finalists and runners up in the League.

Am I right in saying that if the positions were calculated on goal difference then instead of goal average, then we would have been league champions? So close.

Spot on. It was the closest margin that the league has ever been decided. Ours was 61-31, Huddesfield 60-30. Today we would have won it with the same goal diff but having scored more goals. Apparently we missed a penalty with 10 minutes to go in our last game with the score at 0-0 The goal would have been enough let alone the extra point!
JJ1927

Postby JJ1927 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:56 pm

You got me interested in this as I have been bored as well. (I am on my nth day of self isolation with mild Covid !!), so i have been doing some research as well

The following year Barry Town were denied Third Division football despite winning the Southern League. Aberdare Athletic of all teams - they finished second- were given Football League status instead, along with Charlton. I am from Barry and didn't know this.
JJ1927

Postby pembroke allan » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:47 pm

Don Keydick wrote:

Yes lost out by something
Like 0.001 of a goal to Blackburn....... was decided on last games of season
pembroke allan

Postby Don Keydick » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:29 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Don Keydick wrote:

Pretty sure it was Huddersfield.
Don Keydick

Postby pembroke allan » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:48 pm

Don Keydick wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Don Keydick wrote:

Pretty sure it was Huddersfield.

Yes your right but it was the smallest margin that was possible at that time
pembroke allan

Postby skiprat » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:01 pm

It was Birmingham away the last game of the season.we missed a penalty in a 0_0 draw .this handed the title to Huddersfield.
skiprat

Return to General Chat