BREAKING: VINCENT TAN SPEAKS TO talkSPORT JIM WHITE

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Sven » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:53 am

Vincent Tan spoke to talkSPORT's Jim White this morning and it was very interesting to be fair.

He said Gareth was 'open' to the move and he was open to playing/helping his home town club (of which he and his family were fans) but ultimately the commercial considerations of the LAFC move were way too strong

He also saw the humour in his own affiliation with LAFC, where at one point he provided over 50% of the initial set up finances (40% his and 10%+ for one of the Asian investors)

Politically, left open the door for a future role but avoided the question (I felt) when asked about his own commitment to the club by simply referring to the 'non financial' implications had Bale joined

He also said Gareth had told the club 'in person' of his LAFC decision and today's revelations show both men (Bale and Tan) in an honest light

Simon Jordan now repeating he was never going to be a player to take us out of the Championship over 46 games and would have been a circus act; although it has raised the media profile of the club...
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: BREAKING: VINCENT TAN SPEAKS TO talkSPORT JIM WHITE

Postby Forever Blue » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:55 am

Vincent Tan being quite open on TalkSport this morning.

Saying that originally “Bale wanted to come to Cardiff, it wasn’t about the money, he wanted to help his hometown club.”

Understands that LAFC’s offer was too lucrative in comparison.
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Sven » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:06 am

Forever Blue wrote:Vincent Tan being quite open on TalkSport this morning.

Saying that originally “Bale wanted to come to Cardiff, it wasn’t about the money, he wanted to help his hometown club.”

Annis, that is very true and falls in with what we were originally told

A very honest and rare interview from Vicent Tan and it shows both men (Bale and Tan) in an honest light, as GrangeEndStar said to me a few minutes ago

We need more of this from our owner. Keeping us informed does him more good than his silence does harm... :ayatollah:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby paulh_85 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:09 am

Not 100% Dalmans fault then.

On we move
paulh_85

Postby BluebirdsTilIDie » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:09 am

You can't fault the club if they did all they could.. they can't hold a gun to his head to make him say yes.

I do think he will retire after the 12 month contract with La........ unless we somehow miraculously got promoted next season and he played in the prem with us for a year.
BluebirdsTilIDie

Postby NIBluebird » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:12 am

BluebirdsTilIDie wrote:You can't fault the club if they did all they could.. they can't hold a gun to his head to make him say yes.

I do think he will retire after the 12 month contract with La........ unless we somehow miraculously got promoted next season and he played in the prem with us for a year.

I honestly think it's Bales intention to buy an MLS club eventually
NIBluebird

Postby stickywicket » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:36 am

It wasn't the money, but he moved to L. A as it was a better offer.
stickywicket

Postby GaerBlue » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:47 am

Heard this on the way to work. Thought he spoke really well about the situation and to even go on and talk about is a big positive for us, we haven’t heard from him for months but he still seems like he’s planning for the long term.

This is all the fans ask for, a bit of honesty goes a long way.
GaerBlue

Postby Forever Blue » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:02 am

Sven wrote:

A very honest and rare interview from Vicent Tan and it shows both men (Bale and Tan) in an honest light, as GrangeEndStar said to me a few minutes ago

We need more of this from our owner. Keeping us informed does him more good than his silence does harm... :ayatollah:

Exactly Chris and what I told you on the phone.

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Sven » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:09 am

paulh_85 wrote:Not 100% Dalmans fault then.

On we move

Hang on, don't be selective here, fella; you were slating people on here for stating what Vincent Tan has now confirmed and demanding apologies 'for effect' (you have little or no substance) so where's your apology now...? :?

I think a refresh of your reading will show that there was a retraction of the 'Dalman to blame' comments when it became clear that was not the case ;)
Sven

Postby Sven » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:12 am

Forever Blue wrote:
Sven wrote:

Exactly Chris and what I told you on the phone.

You did and I can confirm what you said turned out to be right on all fronts... :ayatollah:

What some don't appear to appreciate is that information and situations are fluid and we can only report what we believe to be correct (or possible) at the time... :thumbup:
Sven

Postby GrangeEndStar » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:16 am

Sven wrote:

A very honest and rare interview from Vincent Tan and it shows both men (Bale and Tan) in an honest light, as GrangeEndStar said to me a few minutes ago

Here's a bit more of the transcript from WOL Chris. As we were discussing, it was actually refreshing to hear an honest account from VT, he comes over so much better than Dalman. I suspect the club saw this as a good opportunity to do PR, hence the rare interview and it does show GB and VT in a positive light. He needs to do more of this, whatever his ambitions for the club as we all respect honesty and as you say, the constant radio silence is actually harmful.

"Cardiff City owner Vincent Tan has revealed Gareth Bale "really wanted to come" to the Bluebirds at one stage this summer but accepts Los Angeles FC's offer and commercial clout was simply too much for the Wales captain to turn down.

Cardiff were very much in the conversation to sign the Wales captain, 32, and were thought to be in a straight shootout with MLS side LAFC.

Talks escalated between Bale's representatives and the California side this week and, ultimately, the player decided for a new adventure in America, signing a one-year deal reportedly with scope to extend thereafter.

It is no doubt a blow for Cardiff, but the Welsh capital city club were always working on the basis that Bale would not join this summer, as evidenced by nine summer signings to date with more understood to be in the pipeline.

There was a stage, though, it seemed, when Cardiff were confident about landing his signature, with Tan himself revealing Bale was very interested in securing a move to the Bluebirds at one stage.

"We were very very keen, he would have been a big coup for us," Tan told talkSPORT. "It would have been great for Gareth Bale to play for his hometown, all the Welsh would be very happy if Gareth Bale returned home and played for Cardiff.

"Personally, I think LAFC's offer was too attractive for him to turn down. But originally he really wanted to come, the money wasn't the matter. We came up with what we thought was a good offer to him, but finally it was very hard to compete when there is a lot of big American advertisers, a lot of commercial deals which were very good for Gareth Bale.

"We tried our best but we failed."

He added: "Initially with Gareth, it wasn't really the money, he just wanted to help Cardiff and help Wales. That's why we could negotiate with him. He tried his best to join us but eventually I think the offer from LAFC was just too big to turn down."

While clearly it was a transfer which Tan, who once owned 40 percent of LAFC before selling his stake to American investors, was tracking extremely closely and was personally invested in, he appears to accept Bale's decision to move to LA.

He has firmly left the door ajar for Bale to sign for his hometown club in the future, though, and hopes that once his business is done with LAFC that he considers the Bluebirds for his next move.

"His contract is for 12 months, lets see what happens," Tan added. "Maybe Gareth, by then, will probably want to come back and come home and serve his country, serve Cardiff, his hometown. He has never played in Cardiff, he and his family are fans of the club.

"So, hopefully, in 12 months' time, he is still young, he will only be 34, some players come back and play until they are 40 years old. So he has still got a few years he can play and hopefully he will come and play for Cardiff after this (contract with LAFC finishes)."

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/foo ... gpyJLiGGdE
'Nail 'em up,' I say. 'Nail some sense into 'em.'
GrangeEndStar

Postby paulh_85 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:16 am

Sven wrote:

On we move

Hang on, don't be selective here, fella; you were slating people on here for stating what Vincent Tan has now confirmed and demanding apologies 'for effect' (you have little or no substance) so where's your apology now...? :?

I think a refresh of your reading will show that there was a retraction of the 'Dalman to blame' comments when it became clear that was not the case ;)

It shouldn't have been stated in the first place to try to push someone's preconceived idea about the board. "Bale will play for free, it's not about the money, Dalman can't possibly fail, and if he does, it's 100% his fault" all proven to be absolute nonsense.
paulh_85

Postby royalblue » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:33 am

Tan's done no wrong in this. Thanks for trying to sign him. I'm disappointed Bale opted for elsewhere. Wanted to help his home town club until L.A gets waved in his face and goodbye.
ONCE A BLUE, ALWAYS A BLUE
royalblue

Postby Sven » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:33 am

paulh_85 wrote:
Sven wrote:

On we move

It shouldn't have been stated in the first place to try to push someone's preconceived idea about the board. "Bale will play for free, it's not about the money, Dalman can't possibly fail, and if he does, it's 100% his fault" all proven to be absolute nonsense.

I disagree, as (a) it was information provided by a usually reliable external source (now anything but), and (b) it was acknowledged said info was wrong as soon as it was known to be

What I will say is that two non-Forum induviduals got it spot on again (including that Bale would not be coming, had not spoken to Steve Morison and that Dalman was not to blame) and Annis put it out there against the flow of opinion at that time and he got pelters for it

It's easy to sit back, wait and then criticise; it's a lot harder to seek information when the sources can (and in some cases have been) spurious at best

Everyone who puts info out does it in good faith and most have the honesty and decency to retract or correct when the situation and/or information changes

Welcome to a Football Forum... :ayatollah:
Sven

Postby Sneggyblubird » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:01 pm

In my view Roathie (also known as Barclay1 on here) should be the one apologising. I'm not the only one who thinks he's made a pact with the devil.
Last edited by Sneggyblubird on Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sneggyblubird

Postby Forever Blue » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:01 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
Sven wrote:

On we move

Well I once again your wrong Paulh, as even Tan virtually says the same as what I was saying.

Bale had his sites in City , not the money , then his agent got him a deal to make him the new David Beckham , NO one would turn that down, No one.

As to Dalman, I have known him personally for many years and don’t take him seriously and I don’t believe one but he cares for Cardiff City other than a big wage sent to Monaco.
We’ve discussed him before as an MP & not long ago was off to Charlton.

But I have to say Tan and i are actually writing from the same page.

When I put out Bale was virtually not comb , I got the usual abuse and yet once again those posters don’t come back and apologies.

‘ VINCENT TAN ‘
Link
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=228296

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=228296

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Forever Blue » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:03 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:In my view Roathie (also known as Barclay1 on here) should be the one apologising. I'm not the only one who thinks he's made a with the devil.

Roathie is not Barclay 1.

We have met Jonny Lee in the Ninian Stand and in the Sand Martin many times and so has Sven.

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Sven » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:50 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:In my view Roathie (also known as Barclay1 on here) should be the one apologising. I'm not the only one who thinks he's made a with the devil.

Roathie is not Barclay 1.

We have met Jonny Lee in the Ninian Stand and in the Sand Martin many times and so has Sven.

Yes Martin, having met Jonny in person, I have to concur with Annis...

Roathie is a busted flush on here and no longer sits with his trousers around his ankles, as he can't 'get off' unless he thinks he's the centre of attention...

I don't always agree with Barclay1 but he is a Bluebird and he does attend our games home and away
Sven

Postby Bluebina » Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:06 pm

Sven wrote:Vincent Tan spoke to talkSPORT's Jim White this morning and it was very interesting to be fair.

He said Gareth was 'open' to the move and he was open to playing/helping his home town club (of which he and his family were fans) but ultimately the commercial considerations of the LAFC move were way too strong

He also saw the humour in his own affiliation with LAFC, where at one point he provided over 50% of the initial set up finances (40% his and 10%+ for one of the Asian investors)

Politically, left open the door for a future role but avoided the question (I felt) when asked about his own commitment to the club by simply referring to the 'non financial' implications had Bale joined

He also said Gareth had told the club 'in person' of his LAFC decision and today's revelations show both men (Bale and Tan) in an honest light

Simon Jordan now repeating he was never going to be a player to take us out of the Championship over 46 games and would have been a circus act; although it has raised the media profile of the club...

In other words he wanted the money more than helping his home town club, fair enough his choice, Bellamy will always be rembered in a better light than Bale and rightly so, time to move on :thumbup: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:
Bluebina

Postby wez1927 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:16 pm

Bluebina wrote:
Sven wrote:Vincent Tan spoke to talkSPORT's Jim White this morning and it was very interesting to be fair.

In other words he wanted the money more than helping his home town club, fair enough his choice, Bellamy will always be rembered in a better light than Bale and rightly so, time to move on :thumbup: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Agree
CARDIFF CITY TILL I DIE !
wez1927

Postby Abergavenny » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:39 pm

So it is clear it was all about the money in the end I don’t necessary blame him But it really comes across as I would love to be at Cardiff only if they can match the other offers
Abergavenny

Postby Barclay1 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:02 pm

and it was a pleasure to meet both Annis and Chris.

Yes, City fan, Yes home and away, Yes a City fan with opinions; Opinions set because I want the best for my club.

As for making certain 'pacts' made by a poster, this sits very uneasily with me, but I recognise while it is offensive to me, this is the way the world talks, thinks, and is only used to put over a point. Its certainly not a phrase I would use.

I'll always admit when I am wrong, apologise if I have made a clear error. There are a lot of people in authority at our club who have made mistakes that have had a major impact, and see us sit where we are at the moment, scraping for frees having finished a season too close to relegation than ever.

I'm not going to go over the Bale issue, as the real questions that should be asked are whether next season is going to be much of the same. Squad wise/Size we are getting somewhat better. Quality wise and Championship experience wise, we are below where we need to be at the moment, and our manager needs to be given the tools to ensure relative success next year.
1st Game 24th Nov 1973 City v Bolton 1-0 (Gil Reece)
Barclay1

Postby JulesK » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:28 pm

So, if I read this right, Mr Tan and GB were on the same page until someone who works for the company that acts for GB sent an email to LAFC. Never mind thanks for trying CCFC.
Keeping the Faith since '74.
JulesK

Postby Forever Blue » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:40 pm

Barclay1 wrote:and it was a pleasure to meet both Annis and Chris.

Yes, City fan, Yes home and away, Yes a City fan with opinions; Opinions set because I want the best for my club.

As for making certain 'pacts' made by a poster, this sits very uneasily with me, but I recognise while it is offensive to me, this is the way the world talks, thinks, and is only used to put over a point. Its certainly not a phrase I would use.

I'll always admit when I am wrong, apologise if I have made a clear error. There are a lot of people in authority at our club who have made mistakes that have had a major impact, and see us sit where we are at the moment, scraping for frees having finished a season too close to relegation than ever.

I'm not going to go over the Bale issue, as the real questions that should be asked are whether next season is going to be much of the same. Squad wise/Size we are getting somewhat better. Quality wise and Championship experience wise, we are below where we need to be at the moment, and our manager needs to be given the tools to ensure relative success next year.

Jonny and it was a pleasure meeting you.
A true honest City fan who says exactly as he sees it.

You will be accused by the usual suspects of been fake, a multi etc etc if you don’t love Tan, or accepted his despicable rebrand or don’t like Dalman, it’s beyond belief.

Yes because we only want the best for our club and have pride in our identity and for some reason we are are shot down, but every time we prove them Wrong they hide away for a month or so.

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Welshman in CA » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:21 pm

Dalman is a clown & should have been a politician but saying it would 100% be his fault if GB didn't end up at Cardiff was a bit much. The last place I thought he would go was MLS and I said it more than once, boy was I wrong on that one.

Good to see Tan actually saying something for once and at least he tried but it looks like we just couldn't compete with LAFC and what GB wanted to achieve going forward.

As ever onwards & upwards is the goal no matter who is at the top good or bad we all have CCFC interests at heart.
Welshman in CA

Postby Forever Blue » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:49 pm

Welshman in CA wrote:Dalman is a clown & should have been a politician but saying it would 100% be his fault if GB didn't end up at Cardiff was a bit much. The last place I thought he would go was MLS and I said it more than once, boy was I wrong on that one.

Good to see Tan actually saying something for once and at least he tried but it looks like we just couldn't compete with LAFC and what GB wanted to achieve going forward.

As ever onwards & upwards is the goal no matter who is at the top good or bad we all have CCFC interests at heart.

A very good post :thumbright: :thumbright:

I have 100% NO Respect for Dalman.

To be fair Tan spoke well on this, I listened to it.

He just got Bales age wrong by 2 yrs :lol:

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Northwalesblues » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:51 pm

All seems very understandable and lots of people full of contrition, until you dial in the fact that GB is one of the richest people, let alone footballers, in the UK, he has more money than he and his family could spend in a hundred lifetimes, so obviously buying into the American ethos; “you can’t have too much money”. I don’t blame the board or GB, but he was and is the master of his own destiny, he had an unique opportunity to be a homecoming hero and lead his country to untold heights, hopefully this he will lead us to.
More importantly, in my 59 years supporting one club I’ve rarely felt more optimistic of the potential that SM is putting together &I’ll still dream of World Cup success.
:bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluebird:
Northwalesblues

Postby pembroke allan » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:03 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Welshman in CA wrote:Dalman is a clown & should have been a politician but saying it would 100% be his fault if GB didn't end up at Cardiff was a bit much. The last place I thought he would go was MLS and I said it more than once, boy was I wrong on that one.

A very good post :thumbright: :thumbright:

I have 100% NO Respect for Dalman.

To be fair Tan spoke well on this, I listened to it.

He just got Bales age wrong by 2 yrs :lol:

Annis you had to find something wrong didn't you? :laughing5:
pembroke allan

Postby worcester_ccfc » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:58 pm

I'm normally one of the first to criticise Tan, but fair play he spoke a lot of sense in this interview.

Got respect for him for doing the interview as well. As others have said, he should speak more regularly in public as it may help fans warm to him.

Obviously I deeply disagreed with the rebrand but I do believe Tan has honest values and I have far more respect for him than I do for Dalman. If this was a Dalman interview then he would have come out with the usual sound bites but at least Tan was honest.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Next

Return to General Chat