' BALE TRANSFER - THE INSIDE TRACK/FACTS '

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby GrangeEndStar » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:45 am

The article quotes from The Athletic who are a very credible source. It answers some of the questions folks have been asking on other threads.

The inside track on Gareth Bale’s transfer to Los Angeles FC

27 Jun 2022

When Gareth Bale put an end to a transfer saga that had rumbled on for several weeks, choosing the MLS as his next destination, it sent shockwaves through football.

High-flying MLS club Los Angeles FC was ultimately the Welsh superstar’s number one choice after spending time mulling over the several offers that were on the table.

The story of how Bale swapped Madrid for the MLS includes details of how:

– Los Angeles FC received a text minutes after the final whistle of the Wales-Ukraine game which read ‘Can we talk about Gareth Bale?’

– There were four or five serious offers for the Welshman, from clubs including Cardiff City, DC United and LA.

– Discussions about a move to the Bluebirds progressed before Bale chose to personally convey his decision to move to the MLS to those at Cardiff.

– The pull of playing in Los Angeles was too much, with the Welshman intrigued by the opportunities that lay in the USA.

– Wales fans will be thrilled at the heightened prospect of Bale playing on at least until Euro 2024

Speaking to The Athletic, LAFC’s co-president John Thorrington, revealed how he had received a text from Bale’s agent minutes after the Wales- Ukraine game had ended, setting in motion a transfer that has captured the imagination Stateside

“Did I think, coming into the year, ‘let’s set aside money to sign Gareth Bale?’. No, that was not in my plans,” Thorrington. “But I did tell our ownership there will be these moments for opportunism and that we need to be in a position to strike.”

According to the sports website, Bale will be paid no more than $1.6125 million (£1.3 million) in a deal that also includes an 18-month option which if triggered next summer would see an increase in the player’s salary, making him a designated player.

Bale’s agent Jonathan Barnett revealed how they had “four or five serious offers” for him.

“It could have been more but we narrowed the field for him — he wasn’t going to Italy or Spain, for example,” Barnett said.

CARDIFF CITY:

‘Different level’

Cardiff City were certainly in the running – and out of respect to his hometown club Bale chose to inform the Bluebirds of his decision personally.

Ultimately however, the pull of playing regularly, gaining fitness ahead of the World Cup in a league that is on the up, for a club that is top of the table intrigued Bale, who was said to be excited about the opportunities to be experienced in a different country.

“I can’t offer Gareth European Champions League football, I can’t offer him the (Champions League) trophy he lifted for the fifth time, the economic package a Champions League club or Premier League club can offer him,” Thorrington said of how he sold the deal to Bale.

“What we can offer a player like him is a unique opportunity to come and do something different.

“Not just on the field — and that’s the focus — but also off the field, there is real momentum with where this league is going with the World Cup coming here (in 2026). He saw this opportunity to make a real difference.”

The move will certainly raise the profile and boost the viewing figures of the MLS globally.

“It’s exciting and I knew it would be big, but this is a different level,” said LAFC’s co-president.

“The soccer world is pretty quiet right now, and so it’s got every ounce of attention,” he added. “It’s been a whirlwind ever since the news came out.”
Attachments
D1028600-B9D3-41FA-8BB7-715C0781A3DE.jpeg
D1028600-B9D3-41FA-8BB7-715C0781A3DE.jpeg (129.94 KiB) Viewed 4364 times
'Nail 'em up,' I say. 'Nail some sense into 'em.'
GrangeEndStar

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: ' BALE TRANSFER - THE INSIDE TRACK/FACTS '

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:51 am

GrangeEndStar wrote:The article quotes from The Athletic who are a very credible source. It answers some of the questions folks have been asking on other threads.

/

A good read. Good luck to him. We now move on.
bluebirdoct1962

Postby GrangeEndStar » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:07 am

:|
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
GrangeEndStar wrote:The article quotes from The Athletic who are a very credible source. It answers some of the questions folks have been asking on other threads.

Completely agree, I've stayed out of the threads and have indeed moved on but this article does answer some questions fans had asked. When the news broke, I had a look at the LAFC list of owners and they can offer incredible opportunities to someone with Bale's profile. I was gutted at the time but not bothered now and looking forward to the new season.
'Nail 'em up,' I say. 'Nail some sense into 'em.'
GrangeEndStar

Postby Forever Blue » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:10 am

Thank you Paul,

A good read.

Plus don’t forget 100% Gareth Bale never sat down with Steve Morison or ever had discussions with him about coming to join the Bluebirds like Wales on line put out, it just never happened.
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby cityone » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:11 am

27 Jun 2022

When Gareth Bale put an end to a transfer saga that had rumbled on for several weeks, choosing the MLS as his next destination, it sent shockwaves through football.

High-flying MLS club Los Angeles FC was ultimately the Welsh superstar’s number one choice after spending time mulling over the several offers that were on the table.

– Los Angeles FC received a text minutes after the final whistle of the Wales-Ukraine game which read ‘Can we talk about Gareth Bale?’

– There were four or five serious offers for the Welshman, from clubs including Cardiff City, DC United and LA.

– Discussions about a move to the Bluebirds progressed before Bale chose to personally convey his decision to move to the MLS to those at Cardiff.

– The pull of playing in Los Angeles was too much, with the Welshman intrigued by the opportunities that lay in the USA.

– Wales fans will be thrilled at the heightened prospect of Bale playing on at least until Euro 2024

Speaking to The Athletic, LAFC’s co-president John Thorrington, revealed how he had received a text from Bale’s agent minutes after the Wales- Ukraine game had ended, setting in motion a transfer that has captured the imagination Stateside

“Did I think, coming into the year, ‘let’s set aside money to sign Gareth Bale?’. No, that was not in my plans,” Thorrington. “But I did tell our ownership there will be these moments for opportunism and that we need to be in a position to strike.”

According to the sports website, Bale will be paid no more than $1.6125 million (£1.3 million) in a deal that also includes an 18-month option which if triggered next summer would see an increase in the player’s salary, making him a designated player.

Bale’s agent Jonathan Barnett revealed how they had “four or five serious offers” for him.

“It could have been more but we narrowed the field for him — he wasn’t going to Italy or Spain, for example,” Barnett said.

CARDIFF CITY:

‘Different level’

Cardiff City were certainly in the running – and out of respect to his hometown club Bale chose to inform the Bluebirds of his decision personally.

Ultimately however, the pull of playing regularly, gaining fitness ahead of the World Cup in a league that is on the up, for a club that is top of the table intrigued Bale, who was said to be excited about the opportunities to be experienced in a different country.

“I can’t offer Gareth European Champions League football, I can’t offer him the (Champions League) trophy he lifted for the fifth time, the economic package a Champions League club or Premier League club can offer him,” Thorrington said of how he sold the deal to Bale.

“What we can offer a player like him is a unique opportunity to come and do something different.

“Not just on the field — and that’s the focus — but also off the field, there is real momentum with where this league is going with the World Cup coming here (in 2026). He saw this opportunity to make a real difference.”

The move will certainly raise the profile and boost the viewing figures of the MLS globally.

“It’s exciting and I knew it would be big, but this is a different level,” said LAFC’s co-president.

“The soccer world is pretty quiet right now, and so it’s got every ounce of attention,” he added. “It’s been a whirlwind ever since the news came out.”

So basically he never had any intention of playing for us, and his agent has played us to his own benefit.
cityone

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:13 am

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

/

Correct and I wish people would move on but the shit on here continues with many!
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:31 am

cityone wrote:

27 Jun 2022

CARDIFF CITY:

‘Different level’

So basically he never had any intention of playing for us, and his agent has played us to his own benefit.

I didn’t read it quite like that. I think we were in with a chance until the big guns turned up with an astonishing deal for him. It also states that he spoke to us in person to break the news he wasn’t coming.
bluebirdoct1962

Postby Northwalesblues » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:37 am

“What a load of………”
If you believe that you’ll believe anything!
So it’s not about money, but going to play in a meaninglessness league surrounded by old “cheque chasers” is the way to prepare for the biggest event in Welsh football’s history, I wonder what the core of the Welsh team, who can only dream of the “pittance” GB is getting think of all this?
Northwalesblues

Postby Bellamys barmy army » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:01 am

Northwalesblues wrote:“What a load of………”
So it’s not about money, but going to play in a meaninglessness league surrounded by old “cheque chasers” is the way to prepare for the biggest event in Welsh football’s history, I wonder what the core of the Welsh team, who can only dream of the “pittance” GB is getting think of all this?

There’s a salary cap in the MLS for non designated players, he’s 32 and slowing down he can play in a league with the best facilities and physios and fitness coaches and keep himself in shape rather than 3 games a week at Cardiff

Maybe he didn’t want to dictate how much he could play for us out of respect? Maybe he knows he’s going to live in Cardiff down the line and wants a couple more years enjoying different cultures

But one thing is certainly true he said it’s not about money and this proves it
Bellamys barmy army

Postby cityone » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:10 am

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
cityone wrote:

27 Jun 2022

CARDIFF CITY:

‘Different level’

I didn’t read it quite like that. I think we were in with a chance until the big guns turned up with an astonishing deal for him. It also states that he spoke to us in person to break the news he wasn’t coming.

It's the part where his agent was intouch with LA withing minutes of the final whistle against Ukraine that got me, but like most have said on here, let's leave it where it is and look forward.
cityone

Postby Jimmy Scoular » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:16 am

He has taken enough out of football, his personal wealth mind boggling.What about putting something back into his home town? No he went for the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. The influence he could have achieved at CCFC was limitless especially for children. I hear promoters, players warble on "oh it's not about the money" spare us this patronising rubbish.
Jimmy Scoular

Postby pembroke allan » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:17 am

Bellamys barmy army wrote:

There’s a salary cap in the MLS for non designated players, he’s 32 and slowing down he can play in a league with the best facilities and physios and fitness coaches and keep himself in shape rather than 3 games a week at Cardiff

Maybe he didn’t want to dictate how much he could play for us out of respect? Maybe he knows he’s going to live in Cardiff down the line and wants a couple more years enjoying different cultures

It proves LA not giving him money but read through it and uts the other commercial benefits that will give him the money..
But at least got clearer picture of events part dont like is lLA was contacted minutes after final whistle in other words a plan was in action with result in mind ... city were always unlikely to get him even if was considered initially.
pembroke allan

Postby wez1927 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:20 am

You are missing the point the salary cap is for weekly wages ,image rights, sponsorship are seperate to that bakevis going to be earning millions
CARDIFF CITY TILL I DIE !
wez1927

Postby royalblue » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:34 am

The fact is he didn't come to Cardiff because he didn't want to. He could of but didn't. I'm not disappointed in him it's his life just disappointed he doesn't have the love for Cardiff City the fans do, because if he did he would of signed. Simple as that. There was us fans thinking if Wales best Ukraine will sign Bale whilst his agent is texting L.A. :lol: He must of knew Cardiff fans really wanted him here I personally think its a bit harsh doing the photo shoot on our training ground when could of done it anywhere eles. That's a bit inconsiderate in my opinion. Nothing can take away what he's done for Wales been fantastic, legend. But he's nothing to do with Cardiff City and after this I hope he never will be. Let's focus on making the next Bale from our academy.
ONCE A BLUE, ALWAYS A BLUE
royalblue

Postby Bellamys barmy army » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:37 am

wez1927 wrote:

You are missing the point the salary cap is for weekly wages ,image rights, sponsorship are seperate to that bakevis going to be earning millions

That would have been exactly the same with us though so there’s no way he’s earning significantly more than he could with us, it’s simply not money motivated. He wanted LA and not Cardiff and why people seem to think he’s fucked us over or we had some divine right to get him is laughable
Bellamys barmy army

Postby Sven » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:47 pm

Sorry, Paul. Only now saw this thread and added similar to another... :roll:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=228291
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby pembroke allan » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:52 pm

wez1927 wrote:

That would have been exactly the same with us though so there’s no way he’s earning significantly more than he could with us, it’s simply not money motivated. He wanted LA and not Cardiff and why people seem to think he’s fucked us over or we had some divine right to get him is laughable

Your having a laugh if you think that he would have same lucrative sponsorship deals with city as LA? Did you miss part where they said LA deal blew citys out of the water and to good to turn down... :o
pembroke allan

Return to General Chat