Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

$500k a week package!

Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:42 pm

Reportedly that's the package Bale is earning in the mls making him one of the highest paid players over there ever , we were totally blown out of the water.

Re: $500k a week package!

Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:44 pm

wez1927 wrote:Reportedly that's the package Bale is earning in the mls making him one of the highest paid players over there ever , we were totally blown out of the water.

But it was never about money!!! :lol:

Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:51 pm

Nobody in their right mind would turn down that type of money,it’s a years contract,a chance to sample a different life style,he ll always come back to Cardiff to live,when his playing days are done,it’s just so dissapointing we won’t get to see him play for Cardiff

Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:01 pm

caerblue wrote:Nobody in their right mind would turn down that type of money,it’s a years contract,a chance to sample a different life style,he ll always come back to Cardiff to live,when his playing days are done,it’s just so dissapointing we won’t get to see him play for Cardiff

Personally now its sorted and its becoming clear why hes gone to la I hope he doesn't come here after la the shine as gone off things hate being an afterthought.

Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:13 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
caerblue wrote:Nobody in their right mind would turn down that type of money,it’s a years contract,a chance to sample a different life style,he ll always come back to Cardiff to live,when his playing days are done,it’s just so dissapointing we won’t get to see him play for Cardiff

Personally now its sorted and its becoming clear why hes gone to la I hope he doesn't come here after la the shine as gone off things hate being an afterthought.

Agree with you .

Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:29 pm

wez1927 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Agree with you .

Not sure we were even a thought to ever be a after thought to be honest

Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:30 pm

Sounds like we were never in the water to get blown out of it.

Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:11 pm

wez1927 wrote:Reportedly that's the package Bale is earning in the mls making him one of the highest paid players over there ever , we were totally blown out of the water.

I'm finding that $500k a week hard to believe even though LAFC have an open spot for a designated player in their squad. Here is a list of their player salaries published just last month:

https://www.angelsonparade.com/2022/5/1 ... s-revealed

Atlanta United have the highest wage bill in the league at just under $21m for their entire squad so LAFC would be paying $26m for 1 player :? and take their overall wage bill to over $40m just can't see it.

No doubt that whatever LAFC are paying GB it will blow Cardiff out of the water but when his agent said in the week things are "Complicated" I think there are more likely commercial contracts that GB still has to honour and in truth we were NEVER in with a chance of signing him until these contracts have expired.

My guess if they are gone in 1 year and then we may have a chance,

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:25 pm

$26 million dollars for a player who hasn't played back-to-back 90 mins for a while seems a bit crazy but he probably will be one of the highest if not the highest ever decorated player to play in the MLS.

Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:26 pm

castleblue wrote:

I'm finding that $500k a week hard to believe even though LAFC have an open spot for a designated player in their squad. Here is a list of their player salaries published just last month:

Atlanta United have the highest wage bill in the league at just under $21m for their entire squad so LAFC would be paying $26m for 1 player :? and take their overall wage bill to over $40m just can't see it.

No doubt that whatever LAFC are paying GB it will blow Cardiff out of the water but when his agent said in the week things are "Complicated" I think there are more likely commercial contracts that GB still has to honour and in truth we were NEVER in with a chance of signing him until these contracts have expired.

It's the total package not week salary, image rights etc his wages might be only ,remember its 500k dollars so around 300k British

Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:27 pm

castleblue wrote:

He is not one of the exemptions from wage cap but sponsorship with Adidas comes into equation as they sponsor LA and him. So suspect your right but you'd thought they would end with real contract? but guess no one will give real reason for move just be BS about great opportunity blah blah ..

Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:36 pm

JJ1927 wrote:

This is why I am slightly disgruntled. It was mentioned by certain members on here that it is NOT ABOUT MONEY. So in my mind this was going to be a win for us…what do we know!

Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:46 pm

Taff on the Mersey wrote:
JJ1927 wrote:

This is why I am slightly disgruntled. It was mentioned by certain members on here that it is NOT ABOUT MONEY. So in my mind this was going to be a win for us…what do we know!

Tbf his agent said that .

Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:46 pm

wez1927 wrote:
castleblue wrote:

It's the total package not week salary, image rights etc his wages might be only ,remember its 500k dollars so around 300k British

I agree Wez but with Adidas still offering over 92 items of footwear with his name attached, you can even have a No 11 printed on them, is this contract the "Complication" his agent talked about? I don't know but as an example of salary when Rooney went over a few years back his annual wage was $2.7m so the thought of GB getting 10 times that, image rights or not, is hard to believe.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:49 pm

castleblue wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
castleblue wrote:

I agree Wez but with Adidas still offering over 92 items of footwear with his name attached, you can even have a No 11 printed on them, is this contract the "Complication" his agent talked about? I don't know but as an example of salary when Rooney went over a few years back his annual wage was $2.7m so the thought of GB getting 10 times that, image rights or not, is hard to believe.

Remember Beckham signed a mega deal 255m he earned https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes ... llion/amp/

Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:55 pm

wez1927 wrote:
castleblue wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
castleblue wrote:

Remember Beckham signed a mega deal 255m he earned https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes ... llion/amp/

Wez he comes under mls wage cap as not one of the 3 exemptions? but that doesnt stop Adidas upping his contract as he signed for a bigger marketing club in LA who also have Adidas as a sponsor as well as him... undoubtedly this move is money motivation its that simple

Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:11 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
castleblue wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
castleblue wrote:

Wez he comes under mls wage cap as not one of the 3 exemptions? but that doesnt stop Adidas upping his contract as he signed for a bigger marketing club in LA who also have Adidas as a sponsor as well as him... undoubtedly this move is money motivation its that simple

If only we hadn't replaced Adidas as our kit supplier this season!

Not only would they have been happy for Bale to wear a City shirt emblazoned with the Adidas logo but the shirts probably wouldn't be stuck in a warehouse somewhere preventing the launch of the new kit.

We're going to have to sell a lot of New Balance shirts with "Whyte" on the back of them to make up the revenue I think :thumbup:
Last edited by davids on Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:12 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
castleblue wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
castleblue wrote:

Wage cap is for salary not overall package, shirts sales, image rights etc

Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:20 pm

wez1927 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
castleblue wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
castleblue wrote:

Wage cap is for salary not overall package, shirts sales, image rights etc

Wez
That's why said his contract with Adidas as probably be inflated to cover low wages ... this move is most definitely money motivated despite agent saying it wasn't a factor.

Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:22 pm

wez1927 wrote:
castleblue wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
castleblue wrote:

Exactly Wez yet Beckham does not get close to being in the top earner in MLS history but overall because of his personal endorsements with companies away from football he earned a fortune. Again his biggest endorsement, like GB was with Adidas.

At it's peak GB contract with adidas was worth £4m and he has a couple of others unlike Beckham who had over a dozen so I don't see where GB could earn so much from "Image" rights to reach $26m for a single year.

Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:32 pm

Guess we'll see GB pushing Adidas shirts, shorts and socks like fun all over the world.

"Impossible is nothing"....

At least he's not shilling razor blades.

Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:10 pm

wez1927 wrote:
castleblue wrote:

I wish the exchange rate was that good wez, $500k is just over 400k pound a week at the moment.

Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:10 pm

It sounds like we chose the most inopportune moment to leave our Adidas shirt deal.

Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:12 pm

theclaw wrote:Sounds like we were never in the water to get blown out of it.

If this was true all along didn't we deserve the same respect that Getafe fans were given in shutting down the rumours immediately?