Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

James Connolly signs for Bristol Rovers

Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:32 pm

Permanent move after a very successful loan last season.

James Connolly has today joined @Official_BRFC on a permanent deal.

The defender leaves .

All the best, James!

Re: James Connolly signs for Bristol Rovers

Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:00 pm

I was expecting us to extend his contract and loan him back out to them. Would have been a low risk move to see how he does in league 1 before releasing him. Hopefully this doesn't come back to haunt us.

Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:11 pm

City slicker27 wrote:I was expecting us to extend his contract and loan him back out to them. Would have been a low risk move to see how he does in league 1 before releasing him. Hopefully this doesn't come back to haunt us.

I think Rovers had the same idea. They are beside themselves that it is permanent.

Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:12 pm

Surprised at this Thought he would have another year out He showed he could compete easily at Div 2 level

Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:19 pm

Was there a fee?

I thought we would have triggered the extra year to at least get some £££ ?

Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:51 pm

Wayne S wrote:
City slicker27 wrote:I was expecting us to extend his contract and loan him back out to them. Would have been a low risk move to see how he does in league 1 before releasing him. Hopefully this doesn't come back to haunt us.

I think Rovers had the same idea. They are beside themselves that it is permanent.

He had a really good half season there. I think he played every minute once he went there. I think I read they would have to pay compensation if they signed him. Probably only a small fee mind.

Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:12 pm

Pantmawr Bluebird wrote:Was there a fee?

We did trigger the extra year so they had to pay a fee.

Suggestions of 6 figures.

Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:47 pm

I'm hoping the fact we've let him go permanently suggests we will have a few new centre backs coming in. We better have, otherwise it's a ridiculous move letting him go.

Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:46 pm

Good Luck To The Lad .

Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:53 am

Hope we have first option to buy back

Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:25 am

Wayne S wrote:
Pantmawr Bluebird wrote:Was there a fee?

We did trigger the extra year so they had to pay a fee.

Suggestions of 6 figures.

6 figures for Cardiff probably means £1,000.99

Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:54 am

This is a strange one !!! Unless player forced it???

Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:36 am

Bristol Rivers fans are absolutely over the moon with this signing. Not one bad comment about him on their Facebook page. Hope we Havnt made a mistake.

Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:03 am

OwainGlyndŵr123 wrote:Bristol Rivers fans are absolutely over the moon with this signing. Not one bad comment about him on their Facebook page. Hope we Havnt made a mistake.

We haven’t made a mistake with what we have and ones coming in he would have been down the pecking order.

Bristol Rovers were desperate to sign him and therefore paid a good amount for him with possible add on’s.

Younger players coming to us will know they can get an opportunity here and still progress, good luck to him.

Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:54 am

Hope there is a sell on fee inserted in the deal. We should add a sell on fee to most of the players we sell who are under 25 and have potential, but are unable to get into our first team regularly.

Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:57 am

Good for the lad, City and Rovers

Young players have to play to find their level, far too many toss it off in the U23's for too long.