Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Cardiff City teenager signs first professional contract "

Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:23 pm

Midfielder Joel Colwill has signed his first professional contract with the Bluebirds.

The 17-year-old put pen-to-paper on a new agreement with the Club that will run from July 1st 2022 until June 2025.

Having completed his first season as a scholar, Joel made appearances for both City's U18 and U23 sides throughout the 2021/22 campaign.

Speaking to cardiffcityfc.co.uk, Head of Academy David Hughes expressed his delight with Joel's development, which he hopes will continue over the coming years:

"I think that Joel, his family and the staff who've worked with him can all be really pleased," he began. "It's the next step in his journey, and naturally we're all really happy for him.

"He's got an outstanding attitude alongside attitude and application, and as we all know they are absolutely needed alongside ability at the top levels.

"It's a testament to his attitude that the Club felt it right to offer Joel the contract. The progress that he's made has been outstanding, with room for further development and maturation from him, alongside his aspiration to make his First Team debut and ultimately have a career in professional football."

Re: " Cardiff City teenager signs first professional contrac

Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:04 pm

Apparently even better than Rubin

Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:10 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Midfielder Joel Colwill has signed his first professional contract with the Bluebirds.

The 17-year-old put pen-to-paper on a new agreement with the Club that will run from July 1st 2022 until June 2025.

Having completed his first season as a scholar, Joel made appearances for both City's U18 and U23 sides throughout the 2021/22 campaign.

Speaking to cardiffcityfc.co.uk, Head of Academy David Hughes expressed his delight with Joel's development, which he hopes will continue over the coming years:

"I think that Joel, his family and the staff who've worked with him can all be really pleased," he began. "It's the next step in his journey, and naturally we're all really happy for him.

"He's got an outstanding attitude alongside attitude and application, and as we all know they are absolutely needed alongside ability at the top levels.

"It's a testament to his attitude that the Club felt it right to offer Joel the contract. The progress that he's made has been outstanding, with room for further development and maturation from him, alongside his aspiration to make his First Team debut and ultimately have a career in professional football."

Well done the academy, its starting to produce after a decade of investment, the academy is unrecognisable compared to the days of Peter risdale ,where even the 1st team never had a pitch .

Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:51 pm

Good Luck to the Lad :bluebird:

Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:57 am

Put him straight in the starting 11, if he’s not good enough now he never will be.

Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:34 pm

I have watched a lot of then academy over the last few seasons, as I completely lost interest watching the first team because of the awful football with only glimmers of excitement - even with Moore and Wilson, I still couldn't 'really' enjoy the football knowing that Wilson and others were being held back by an archaic form of football and we were never really got to see the best of them.

I even subscribed to other teams official sites in order to watch games that CCTV weren't showing and on one occasion a mate of mine streamed a game via whatsapp video call :)

I think Joel is a great prospect. Technically gifted, quick and can play pretty much in any attacking position. Keeps the ball really well.

As for nubbsy saying "Put him straight in the starting 11, if he’s not good enough now he never will be." - I can't agree with that at all. Players are all developing at different stages and it can ruin a career by exposing some 17 years olds to the pressure of first team football. I think you have to be a VERY special 17 year old to start playing in the Championship and do well immediately. But I think we may see Joel in the first team much quicker than his brother and Davies etc.

Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:33 pm

nubbsy wrote:Put him straight in the starting 11, if he’s not good enough now he never will be.

:lol:

Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:42 pm

wez1927 wrote:
nubbsy wrote:Put him straight in the starting 11, if he’s not good enough now he never will be.

:lol:

Gavi age 17 scored midweek for spain! :o