Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Paul Bodin: ‘ James Connolly ‘

Fri May 27, 2022 2:13 pm

James Connolly played the last few months for Bristol Rovers in League 2.

Connolly 21 years old later this year played 24 times for Bristol Rovers in League 2.
Appearances for Cardiff C: 0

Paul Bodin:

"He is a player who fully deserves his call-up," Bodin said on Friday. "I watched him many times in the under-23s, we are regular watchers of the under-23s, analysing them. James got an opportunity to go out on loan with Bristol Rovers, Luca Hoole there as well, so it was good to go and watch them. Both of them have had fantastic seasons.

"But this is kind of the last opportunity, this camp. Hopefully he will come in and enjoy it and embrace the opportunity. I've had a good conversation with him already. On the back of what he has achieved at Rovers this season, he could come in and really surprise us all and force himself into the team. I'm looking forward to him coming into the squad."

It is not yet known what will happen with Connolly next term. His contract is up this summer but Cardiff will trigger an option to extend by a year if the player does not put pen to paper on the deal which is understood to have been offered to him.

But after such a successful period across the Severn Bridge, has he done enough to force his way into City's first-team reckoning next season? It's a question Bodin himself pondered.

"It'll be interesting to see what happens with him in the future, whether he can get in Cardiff's first team at Championship level or maybe go back to Rovers and have another season in League One," he added.

"I'm very impressed with him, I think he's done exceptionally well. The run they were on, the last 30 games he played 24 or 25 of them, exceptional. To win promotion on the last day, I've seen some photos of him being carried through Gloucester Road and up in the stands in his kit! You've got to enjoy those times, they don't happen every season.”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Paul Bodin: ‘ James Connolly ‘

Fri May 27, 2022 7:43 pm

Strange one this.By taking up the option we might be just looking to get a fee off Bristol Rovers. Unless we actually think he's good enough to challenge for a first team place.