Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

John Swift to WBA

Fri May 27, 2022 11:19 am

Not sure if this has already been posted.

WBA sign Swift on free transfer. They will be up there under Bruce next season. Good signing for them.

Re: John Swift to WBA

Fri May 27, 2022 11:31 am

There is going to be an unbalanced championship soon just like premier league with elite clubs and also rans...the championship will have some clubs spending well above the norm of other clubs so leaving 2 tier league...

Fri May 27, 2022 11:49 am

pembroke allan wrote:There is going to be an unbalanced championship soon just like premier league with elite clubs and also rans...the championship will have some clubs spending well above the norm of other clubs so leaving 2 tier league...

I actually think the gap in the Championship is closing as a result of the pandemic and economy. Previously there were certain teams spending well above their means and everybody else, usually those relegated from Prem but not limited. Derby are a prime example.

Fri May 27, 2022 12:28 pm

JasonFowler1991 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:There is going to be an unbalanced championship soon just like premier league with elite clubs and also rans...the championship will have some clubs spending well above the norm of other clubs so leaving 2 tier league...

I actually think the gap in the Championship is closing as a result of the pandemic and economy. Previously there were certain teams spending well above their means and everybody else, usually those relegated from Prem but not limited. Derby are a prime example.

You are seeing relegated clubs keeping their players
And as a result are challenging for promotion past 2 seasons relegated teams have had 2 promoted never happened before also since 2019/20 the top 6 places have had 3 of them in there..... next season could be worse in that regard ... I've said previously parachute payments are now being used to keep premier league players at clubs even when there's relegation clauses in contracts also it enable s relegated clubs buy the better championship players that the likes of us cannot afford.. hence I think the league will go way of premier league and be split into 2 with an outside club bucking the trend for top 6 places

Sat May 28, 2022 12:57 am

pembroke allan wrote:
JasonFowler1991 wrote:

And as a result are challenging for promotion past 2 seasons relegated teams have had 2 promoted never happened before also since 2019/20 the top 6 places have had 3 of them in there..... next season could be worse in that regard ... I've said previously parachute payments are now being used to keep premier league players at clubs even when there's relegation clauses in contracts also it enable s relegated clubs buy the better championship players that the likes of us cannot afford.. hence I think the league will go way of premier league and be split into 2 with an outside club bucking the trend for top 6 places

Yeah, I get that, I think they're only able to keep on to them because other clubs can no longer afford to take them off of their hands. Not necessarily because they want to keep them, in some cases at least. With inflated Premier League wages, parachute payments are going mostly to paying debts and wages, as we see with Burnley now.

Clubs like Norwich will do okay, as they go up, don't spend much, come back down, and are able to go again. But the bigger clubs will really struggle if they don't bounce back the first time. I do get your sentiment though.

Sat May 28, 2022 11:07 am

JasonFowler1991 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
JasonFowler1991 wrote:

Yeah, I get that, I think they're only able to keep on to them because other clubs can no longer afford to take them off of their hands. Not necessarily because they want to keep them, in some cases at least. With inflated Premier League wages, parachute payments are going mostly to paying debts and wages, as we see with Burnley now.

Clubs like Norwich will do okay, as they go up, don't spend much, come back down, and are able to go again. But the bigger clubs will really struggle if they don't bounce back the first time. I do get your sentiment though.

If theres a trend we will see it later in season act how many parachute paid clubs are challenging top 6...... Norwich have got relegation clauses for players be interesting who leave give better pay... suspect pukey will go