Academy players getting signed by other clubs

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Welsh Giants » Sun May 22, 2022 9:39 pm

Is there anything we can do with our academy status to stop young stars being snapped up by the big clubs? Not sure i seen something like this before where our status is not the top tier status or am i wrong?

Obviously if we were a premiership side in sure out young stars would be far more likely to stay with us rather than he tempted elsewhere so hopefully this happens sometime in the future too
Welsh Giants

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Academy players getting signed by other clubs

Postby pembroke allan » Sun May 22, 2022 9:55 pm

Efl clubs were stitched up regarding academy players so now premier league clubs can take them with little compensation.. as for our academy it's on it's way to cat 1 status hopefully and that will arrest some of what's been happening.
pembroke allan

Postby worcester_ccfc » Sun May 22, 2022 10:42 pm

If the big clubs come in for them, there's little we can do sadly.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Postby GrangeEndStar » Mon May 23, 2022 10:20 am

Unfortunately there's nothing you can do about it when the big clubs show interest, as often the player and parents want the move too. Celtic are interested in Japhet Matondo who they could buy for £130k, he's only 16 and has featured for the U23's. I think what has changed only since SM has been in charge is that there is now a realistic path from our academy to the first team which wasn't the case before.
'Nail 'em up,' I say. 'Nail some sense into 'em.'
GrangeEndStar

Postby Welsh Giants » Mon May 23, 2022 11:18 am

GrangeEndStar wrote:Unfortunately there's nothing you can do about it when the big clubs show interest, as often the player and parents want the move too. Celtic are interested in Japhet Matondo who they could buy for £130k, he's only 16 and has featured for the U23's. I think what has changed only since SM has been in charge is that there is now a realistic path from our academy to the first team which wasn't the case before.

Yes well good point it does make it encouraging for academy stars to have that pathway now for them and the club. Be great if we can get the higher category status and keep bringing talent through and keeping them. I get the feeling that the only way we will keep them is if we get prem again.
Saying that look at ollie tanner great example of what a young talent should be imo, chose to come to a team where he would get proper competitive football and grow as a player that way rather than signing for a big team and rotting away in their youth systems. Hopefully we see more of that from now on with our other young up and coming players
Welsh Giants

Return to General Chat