Pitch invasions & violence: Needs To Stop Now.

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby TopCat CCFC » Fri May 20, 2022 11:02 pm

Pitch invasions & violence: Klopp, Arteta, Howe 'worried' about safety -

Jurgen Klopp says they are "dangerous", Eddie Howe says they could cause a "tragedy" - pitch invasions and fan violence have dogged English football in recent days as the season reaches its climax.

Since Monday, there have been five pitch invasions, players assaulted, Crystal Palace boss Patrick Vieira clashing with a fan, arrests made and investigations launched.

According to the Football Offences Act 1991, it is an offence for fans to enter the pitch "without lawful authority or lawful excuse".

So why has this happened, what is being said and what will happen next?
TopCat CCFC

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Pitch invasions & violence: Needs To Stop Now.

Postby TopCat CCFC » Fri May 20, 2022 11:05 pm

What has happened?

On Thursday, Crystal Palace boss Patrick Vieira was involved in an altercation with an Everton supporter during a pitch invasion following his side's Premier League defeat at Goodison Park

On the same night, Swindon Town players were "physically and verbally abused" after their League Two play-off semi-final defeat by Port Vale

The other League Two semi-final, played on Wednesday, also ended in a pitch invasion with Mansfield boss Nigel Clough saying such incidents are "getting concerning" after his player Jordan Bowery appeared to be shoved by a fan late on in their win at Northampton

Earlier on Thursday, a fan was jailed after running on to the pitch and headbutting Sheffield United captain Billy Sharp at the end of the Blades' Championship play-off semi-final shootout defeat by Nottingham Forest on Tuesday.

On Monday, Luton boss Nathan Jones said Huddersfield supporters were an "absolute disgrace" following their pitch invasion.

Swindon forward Harry McKirdy said on Instagram: "I'll take the stick and the songs. But bottles, coins, lighters thrown [at] me, running on and hitting and kicking me/team-mates. Too far."

And his manager Ben Garner said: "I don't know where we're going to as a country, but it's absolutely disgusting."
TopCat CCFC

Postby JasonFowler1991 » Fri May 20, 2022 11:13 pm

I remember at Ninian Park we had the fences with that grey fluid on the top that would ruin your clothes. Didn't stop pitch invasions, but definitely put people off.

As far as I remember they didn't effect the view. Why not bring them back, or something more modern and similar. Cheap to implement and effective

The only problem is, if people do decide to pitch invade they can cause a crush.
JasonFowler1991

Postby pembroke allan » Fri May 20, 2022 11:24 pm

Would help if managers and subs and backroom staff stop going on pitch as well when goal is scored.. have you noticed throughout football in this country the amount of aggression by players on opponents after a particularly incident nearly every game there is a 10man dust up often with subs ect involved... all started with espirito Santos at wolves racing up pitch and going into other tech area causing problems with opposing manager... solution simple install type of barriers installed at Wembley doesn't obstruct view but stops fans getting on pitch.
pembroke allan

Postby worcester_ccfc » Sat May 21, 2022 12:11 am

Like said by Eddie Howe, the celebratory part is not an issue.

It's the violence that we've seen this week.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Postby eddiep » Sat May 21, 2022 7:07 am

Doesnt anyone think its tge sign of the times.
Look around, the world is a mess. Stressful times.
Wound up people having an oportunity to lash out at someone for everything.

Not a fan of invasions but agree with Eddie Howe.
The players winding fans up and doing shhh etc doesnt help
Sideline behaviour is naughty too.

All plays a part.
you reap what you sow
eddiep

Postby Jimmy Scoular » Sat May 21, 2022 11:00 am

Deduct 10 points for the following season then see what happens
Jimmy Scoular

Postby Sven » Sat May 21, 2022 12:57 pm

eddiep wrote:Doesnt anyone think its tge sign of the times.
Look around, the world is a mess. Stressful times.
Wound up people having an oportunity to lash out at someone for everything.

Not a fan of invasions but agree with Eddie Howe.
The players winding fans up and doing shhh etc doesnt help
Sideline behaviour is naughty too.

All plays a part.

I'm actually in agreement with you :thumbup:

All of the above plus the lack of moral fibre amongst far too many these days. It's not all and it's not just youngsters; as a society we have become 'soft' on moral guidance, which has led to the current generation feeling way too entitled

It hasn't gone unnoticed that there is a 'pack mentality' amongst much of our younger support that manifests itself in usually decent people being drawn into the fray and it seems other clubs have a similar issue

We had two recent situations (the train and the coach) where some of the same people were involved and are now paying the price. One of them, from a very respected family, has I hope learned a life-lesson that actions have consequences inside and outside the football arena

Not sure what the answer is in football but it should start in the home, in schools and from the Government; the latter of whom are sadly in no position to lecture anyone right now :cry:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Sneggyblubird » Sat May 21, 2022 1:16 pm

In my view these actions spoil it for all of us-should come down hard on these cowards who tarnish all fans with their actions.
Sneggyblubird

Postby pembroke allan » Sat May 21, 2022 2:03 pm

Only way to prevent it is barriers as fans get excited if club get promoted and go on field this as always been in football past 100yrs.....lik said Wembley bes as doesn't obstruct view and can easily be put in
pembroke allan

Postby pembroke allan » Sat May 21, 2022 2:21 pm

pembroke allan wrote:Only way to prevent it is barriers as fans get excited if club get promoted and go on field this as always been in football past 100yrs.....lik said Wembley bes as doesn't obstruct view and can easily be put in

Not confined to football st Helen's rugby league fans threw bottles and abused opposition players and they were away team? :?
pembroke allan

Postby Sven » Sat May 21, 2022 2:53 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:Only way to prevent it is barriers as fans get excited if club get promoted and go on field this as always been in football past 100yrs.....lik said Wembley bes as doesn't obstruct view and can easily be put in

Not confined to football st Helen's rugby league fans threw bottles and abused opposition players and they were away team? :?

Part of my point Allan; it's a societal issue that has been allowed to re-manifest itself in an almost cyclical way (after our generation started it in the 70's and 80's)
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby pembroke allan » Sat May 21, 2022 3:06 pm

Sven wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Part of my point Allan; it's a societal issue that has been allowed to re-manifest itself in an almost cyclical way (after our generation started it in the 70's and 80's)

Chris its endemic in society in general.... cant go out without running risk of being stabbed over little things .... criminal damage is done with impunity because judges and jurys say it's ok as it's for their cause... the list is endless
pembroke allan

Postby TopCat CCFC » Sat May 21, 2022 11:29 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Like said by Eddie Howe, the celebratory part is not an issue.

Spot On - Or wait for the players / Officials get off the pitch - Then ... Players in Stand - Fans on pitch - Easy ;)

Let's see what unfolds tomorrow / Today - Loads of emotions at both ends of the table .
TopCat CCFC

Postby northside of risca » Sun May 22, 2022 9:53 am

TopCat CCFC wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:Like said by Eddie Howe, the celebratory part is not an issue.

Spot On - Or wait for the players / Officials get off the pitch - Then ... Players in Stand - Fans on pitch - Easy ;)

Let's see what unfolds tomorrow / Today - Loads of emotions at both ends of the table .

Pitch invasions are fine and most on here have enjoyed / been party to one. Just leave opposition players alone, it ain’t hard. Had some great memories on the pitch dating back to the late 90s in ninian to our most recent promotion.

Laughing remembering that security paint. Grey sludge
northside of risca

Postby skiprat » Sun May 22, 2022 2:52 pm

It was much worse in the past. It used to go off all the time.then it was a lot harder to identify people . now your virtually guaranteed to have been filmed by someone.lets hope those days aren't returning.
skiprat

Postby pembroke allan » Sun May 22, 2022 5:10 pm

Happy invasion at Etihad stadium they need new goal post though.... I thought common sense by police and stewards left them to celebrate despite wrecking posts no problems at all
pembroke allan

Postby worcester_ccfc » Sun May 22, 2022 6:27 pm

Manchester City have just released this statement:

Manchester City would like to sincerely apologise to Aston Villa goalkeeper Robin Olsen, who was assaulted after the final whistle at today’s match when fans entered the pitch.

The Club has launched an immediate investigation and once identified, the individual responsible will be issued with an indefinite stadium ban.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Postby pembroke allan » Sun May 22, 2022 6:45 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Manchester City have just released this statement:

Manchester City would like to sincerely apologise to Aston Villa goalkeeper Robin Olsen, who was assaulted after the final whistle at today’s match when fans entered the pitch.

The Club has launched an immediate investigation and once identified, the individual responsible will be issued with an indefinite stadium ban.

Idiot! What was the point. .. :roll:
pembroke allan

Postby TopCat CCFC » Sun May 22, 2022 10:54 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Manchester City have just released this statement:

They also forgot to add ... 1 of their goalposts were also taken down by their fans :shock:
TopCat CCFC

Postby Floppsy » Mon May 23, 2022 8:09 am

I can't see fences going back up, but I can the first 5 or 6 rows of seating being covered up to keep fans away from the pitch.
Shame that the idiotic actions of a few will spoil what can be a great occasion.
Floppsy

Postby nubbsy » Mon May 23, 2022 12:29 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Sven wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Chris its endemic in society in general.... cant go out without running risk of being stabbed over little things .... criminal damage is done with impunity because judges and jurys say it's ok as it's for their cause... the list is endless

Has it got that bad in Pembroke? Haha
nubbsy

Return to General Chat