Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

EMILIANO SALA INQUEST FINDINGS ANNOUNCED

Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:44 pm

Emiliano Sala: Footballer died after plane broke up mid-air

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=204226 :cry: :cry:

Footballer Emiliano Sala died instantly from "head and trunk injuries" when the plane he was in crashed after breaking up mid-air, a jury has found.

They also concluded he was likely to have been "deeply unconscious" from carbon monoxide poisoning on the unlicensed flight.

Sala and pilot David Ibbotson died when the plane they were flying in crashed in the English Channel in January 2019.

The 28-year-old had been flying to Wales from France to join Cardiff City.

David Henderson, who arranged the flight, was given an 18-month prison sentence for aviation offences relating to arranging the flight.

The jury concluded Sala died in the crash having been overcome by toxic levels of carbon monoxide from the aircraft's faulty exhaust system.

The body of Mr Ibbotson, from Crowle, Lincolnshire, has never been found.

The plane disappeared from radar near Guernsey on its way to Cardiff from Nantes

Sala's younger brother Dario described the impact his death had on the family.

"We just couldn't believe it, we couldn't accept it. It was so shocking for us as a family. Even now we can't believe it and we'll never really believe it," he said.

"For me, my brother was always the best, the greatest, even before he became a professional footballer and came over here - he was my brother."

During the inquest, Dorset Coroner's Court was told Henderson had been investigated for illegal public transport flights before, but he was was not monitored following the initial investigation.

He arranged for Mr Ibbotson to take the footballer from Cardiff to Nantes and back again, when the plane crashed en-route to Cardiff.

The inquest jury heard Sala's blood had 58% carbon monoxide blood saturation, a level a pathologist called "severe poisoning".

Explaining how carbon monoxide could have entered the Piper Malibu's cabin, Brian McDermid, who works for the Air Accidents Investigation Branch, said it most likely came from exhaust gases seeping into the cabin through a heating system.

But, he added, during its last maintenance check "there was no evidence to suggest that the aircraft was not serviceable or fit to do that flight".

In a statement, Sala's family said the inquest had "shone a bright light on many of the missed opportunities in the worlds of football and aviation to prevent his tragic death".

"The family particularly note the jury's findings that it is likely that both the pilot and Emiliano suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning and that Emiliano was deeply unconscious at the time of the accident, and that the poisoning was caused by a failure in the aircraft exhaust system
," they added.

"The family also welcome the coroner's decision to communicate to the relevant authorities her concerns about the safety issues arising from this inquest in order to prevent similar future deaths. No family should have to go through grief from a similar avoidable accident."

Coroner for Dorset Rachel Griffin is recommending that the UK Secretary of State for Transport Grant Shapps consider giving the Civil Aviation Authority more powers to tackle the "illegality of these flights and the risks associated with them".

She is also sending her prevention of future deaths report to the UK Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Secretary Nadine Dorries, interested parties and a host of other sporting organisations in order to discourage the use of illegal flights.

Cardiff City said it respected the verdict and hoped Sala's family would have "a sense of peace and closure".

"We are pleased that the truth has been firmly established in a court of law, particularly the facts surrounding the organisation of the illegal flight," a spokesman added.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: EMILIANO SALA INQUEST FINDINGS ANNOUNCED

Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:17 pm

Pity the BBC reporter who wrote this report missed out the final conclusion of the jury because it's powerful stuff.

Emiliano Sala died as a consequence of injuries sustained in an aircraft crash where the flight was operated as a commercial flight without the required authorisation, certifications or permissions being in place.”

I'm not sure if this helps CCFC should the club lose the CAS hearing but either way 18 months for David Henderson for organising this "Illegal" flight in which 2 people died can never pass as justice.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:02 pm

You'd suspect that given the damning evidence that practically if not all of this flight was illegal city should have a pathway for litigation against several people if not nante..

Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:38 pm

I see McKay is criticising Cardiff City for leaving their signing "stranded".

So is he saying if it wasn't for the club this illegal flight wouldn't have taken place?

What twisted logic from a man that is also saying that what happened to HIM and his family is a disgrace.

He should not have been anywhere near this transfer.

Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:54 pm

Wayne S wrote:I see McKay is criticising Cardiff City for leaving their signing "stranded".

So is he saying if it wasn't for the club this illegal flight wouldn't have taken place?

What twisted logic from a man that is also saying that what happened to HIM and his family is a disgrace.

The man is shameless and needs to be taken to task :evil:

Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:58 pm

castleblue wrote:Pity the BBC reporter who wrote this report missed out the final conclusion of the jury because it's powerful stuff.

Emiliano Sala died as a consequence of injuries sustained in an aircraft crash where the flight was operated as a commercial flight without the required authorisation, certifications or permissions being in place.”

I'm not sure if this helps CCFC should the club lose the CAS hearing but either way 18 months for David Henderson for organising this "Illegal" flight in which 2 people died can never pass as justice.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Gary, well said :clap:

Some interesting times ahead and it's tough to call; but the litigation against those involved in the flight must surely be a fall back option? :?

Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:40 am

Wayne S wrote:I see McKay is criticising Cardiff City for leaving their signing "stranded".

Personally, I would rather leave a person stranded than stick him in an aircraft that was clearly capable of causing fatalities.

Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:09 am

Paul Keevil wrote:

Personally, I would rather leave a person stranded than stick him in an aircraft that was clearly capable of causing fatalities.

Absolutely.

I did not want to go into ifs and maybes as two people lost their lives, but without McKay in this scenario things would have been so different.

Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:24 am

Willie McKay's shameful post-inquest response...

Willie McKay criticises Cardiff City following Emiliano Sala inquest

Disgraced football agent Willie McKay has spoken of his regret that Emiliano Sala and pilot David Ibbotson lost their lives on a flight he helped to organise.

The man who helped arrange the flight has also criticised Cardiff City.

Mr McKay said he only tried to assist the Argentinian striker in returning to Nantes in France to say goodbye to his team-mates after signing for Cardiff City in a £15 million transfer.

The veteran agent accused Cardiff City of leaving their record signing “stranded” and said he only stepped in as he wanted to help Sala settle in Wales.

I was horrified that Cardiff made such a poor attempt to let Emiliano go back to Nantes to collect his belongings and say farewell to a club and team-mates who meant so much to him,” Mr McKay said.

“I was overjoyed to help Emiliano and it all went smoothly as he flew to France and spent the time he wanted at his second home. He even delayed the return to give him as much time as possible.

“I cannot describe the pain I felt at the news of the plane crash. It is impossible to assess
.”

At the time of the tragedy, Mr McKay was barred from acting as a football agent in his own right because he was an undischarged bankrupt.

He was assisting his son, Mark, whose firm was representing Nantes in the negotiations.

In a lengthy statement issued after he had given evidence to the inquest into Sala’s death, Mr McKay claimed he felt as though he was the one on trial.

My thoughts will always be with him and the pilot but what has happened to me and my family since is a little short of a disgrace,” he said.

Mr McKay had known pilot David Henderson, who was later jailed for his role in the crash, for more than a decade and had arranged dozens of flights through him.

He had always been reliable and was a man who was in the RAF and an expert in his field,” he said.

I have described this as like phoning a taxi for a friend in need. That is not flippant. You never ask who the driver is or check his licence. It is just taken for granted.”

The Glasgow-born agent said Cardiff City had only offered Sala commercial flights via Paris, so he instead spoke with Mr Henderson.

Cardiff City left their record signing stranded and I came to his aid for only one reason and that was to help out the young man,” he said.

As anyone who knows me will tell you, I go out of my way to help people. My first thought had been to help Emiliano feel at home.

“When he said he wanted to fly I was happy to call as many people as I knew who could help as quickly as possible.

“In the end I persuaded David Henderson to assist. I never once asked him about what pilot he used
.”

Mr McKay went on: “What followed has been a cynical attempt to use me as an excuse and a convenient scapegoat.

“All sorts of allegations were made. As a result, I’ve been vilified. My family has been vilified. And why? For helping a young lad.

“A man has been found guilty and yet others pursue us as if we were.

“Nothing will ever bring back Emiliano. How I wish it could
.”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:34 am

Cardiff statement on the Sala inquest:

"Cardiff City Football Club respects the jury’s verdict at the Emiliano Sala inquest and hopes that its
conclusion will now allow the Sala family a sense of peace and closure."

"We are pleased that the truth has been firmly established in a court of law, particularly the facts
surrounding the organisation of the illegal flight.

Any misgivings pertaining to Cardiff City’s involvement in its organisation should now cease."

Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:40 am

So much to dissect in there and whilst I am no legal expert, I think there are elements to this statement that can readily be questioned; particularly the 'buck passing' to anyone bar himself

I'm not saying Willie McKay was directly responsible for Emiliano Sala's (and David Ibbotson's) death but it must be open to question that he, a banned football agent, was part of a (seemingly) dodgy process that ultimately led to the tragedy that occurred

McKay admits he 'helped' arrange the fatal flight, yet criticises Cardiff City for 'only' offering a commercial flight and effectively blamed them for 'leaving him stranded.

Hello! Earth calling McKay! Earth calling McKay!

Which part of "Cardiff only offered a commercial flight" suggests the club left him 'stranded'?

Mr McKay said he only tried to assist the Argentinian striker in returning to Nantes in France to say goodbye to his team-mates after signing for Cardiff City in a £15 million transfer and only stepped in as he wanted to help Sala settle in Wales

No, he didn't 'try'; he directly helped facilitate a flight where no one can recall how the (ahem!) invoice was paid...

If Sala had taken a scheduled 'commercial' flight, rather than your hastily arranged one, he would still be here today

At the time of the tragedy, Mr McKay was barred from acting as a football agent in his own right because he was an undischarged bankrupt.

Well, that takes care of itself. He should not have been anywhere near that transfer!

In a lengthy statement issued after he had given evidence to the inquest into Sala’s death, Mr McKay claimed he felt as though he was the one on trial.

Fingers crossed on that one...!

My thoughts will always be with him and the pilot but what has happened to me and my family since is a little short of a disgrace,” he said.

So arranging an ultimately illegal flight where no recollection of how monies were paid to the man (Henderson) with whom he had done business so many times, is not a disgrace worthy of dissection and some criticism?

Let's recall that Mr McKay had known David Henderson 'for more than a decade' and had arranged dozens of flights through him.

The Glasgow-born agent said Cardiff City "had only offered Sala commercial flights via Paris", so he instead spoke with Mr Henderson.

Cardiff City left their record signing stranded and I came to his aide,” he said.

No, Mr McKay, I say again no one left him 'stranded'; there was a viable (and legal) option on the table

Mr McKay went on: “[i]What followed has been a cynical attempt to use me as an excuse and a convenient scapegoat. A man has been found guilty and yet others pursue us as if we were."

One man so far; one man so far... ;)