Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Emiliano Sala inquest UPDATE!

Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:29 am

So very sad!

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=204226

Blood tests taken from the body of footballer Emiliano Sala showed he had been overcome by toxic levels of carbon monoxide poisoning prior to his death in a plane crash, an inquest heard.

The 28-year-old was on a private plane travelling to Cardiff when it crashed in the English Channel near Guernsey on 21 January 2019.

The body of pilot David Ibbotson, 59, has never been found.

Sala's inquest has resumed after being adjourned a week ago for legal reasons.

The Argentina-born striker was joining Cardiff City in a £15m transfer from French Ligue 1 side Nantes.

Last week, pathologist Dr Basil Purdue said Sala had died from severe head and chest injuries consistent with a plane crash.

But prior to his death he had been overcome by carbon monoxide poisoning and would have been "deeply unconscious" at the point of impact with the sea, Dr Purdue said.

He said toxicological tests on samples of Sala's blood showed a carbon monoxide blood saturation level of 58%, which he described as "severe poisoning", and suggested the source was the plane's exhaust system.

Continuing his evidence, Dr Purdue said two blood samples were taken from Sala - one from the iliofemoral vein and a second from the cavity of Sala's torso.
Emiliano SalaImage source, Emiliano Sala/Instagram
Image caption,
Sala's inquest is being held at Dorset Coroner's Court at the Town Hall in Bournemouth

The first blood sample was sent away for carbon monoxide testing and the second was used to confirm identity from DNA testing.

The second sample was later sent to Canada for further testing.

Dr Purdue explained that, due to decomposition, he was only able to take one blood sample from the iliofemoral vein and obtained blood for DNA testing from the cavity.

He said cavity blood was often contaminated and of "uncertain composition", and could not be relied upon for toxicological examination, although it was acceptable for DNA testing.

"It is not blood, it is blood with an unknown of other things - you are going to be misled," he said.

"If we had more blood, I would have taken more samples.

"The fact we only had one bottle is indicative of all we could get."

Forensic examiner Katherine Baldwin told the inquest the cavity blood sample was stored in a Dorset Police freezer until it was sent off to Canada for testing.

She also confirmed the first sample had been destroyed by a forensic lab after being tested, even though it was part of an ongoing investigation.

The inquest heard the Piper Malibu aircraft left Nantes airport at 19:15 GMT and radar contact was lost at 20:15.

The aircraft was located on the seabed on 3 February and Sala's body was found in the wreckage three days later.

The inquest at Dorset Coroner's Court, which is taking place at the Town Hall in Bournemouth, is due to last around a month.

Re: Emiliano Sala inquest

Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:08 pm

If there is a blessing in any of this it is the fact that he was unconscious when the plane hit the sea

Re: Emiliano Sala inquest

Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:15 am

Emiliano Sala: Pilot was told to stop flying plane, inquest told

The owner of the plane which crashed killing footballer Emiliano Sala has told his inquest she banned the pilot from flying it six months previously.

Fay Keely said she was "not confident" of David Ibbotson's abilities or his "care of" the plane.

Mr Sala, 28, died when the Piper Malibu crashed into the English Channel near Guernsey on 21 January 2019 as it flew from Nantes in France to Cardiff.

His body was recovered in February 2019.

The body of pilot Mr Ibbotson, 59, has not been found.

The inquest at Bournemouth Coroner's Court heard Ms Keely had explicitly requested that he no longer fly the plane, after learning of two airspace infringements he had committed on the same day.

Ms Keely said she contacted David Henderson, a consultant who managed the plane day-to-day, with concerns about Mr Ibbotson in early July 2018.

"I was not happy and not confident the aircraft was within Mr Ibbotson's capabilities… I said he shouldn't be flying it," she said.

In an email exchange with Mr Henderson after learning of the infringements from aviation regulators, Ms Keely said she told him: "I think it best if he doesn't pilot the Piper again… this doesn't give me much confidence in his care of the aircraft."

Fay Keely told the inquest she had a list of "five or six pilots" David Henderson would use to fly the plane.

Asked by senior coroner for Dorset, Rachael Griffin, what response she had received, Ms Keely said Mr Henderson had replied: "Multiple expletives!! D."

Mr Henderson had described Mr Ibbotson as "apologetic" and "mortified" by the errors.

Ms Keely later discovered Mr Ibbotson had flown her sister in the Piper Malibu in August 2018 after Mr Henderson had been unable to pilot the plane himself.

Explaining the arrangement with Mr Henderson for managing the aircraft, Miss Keely said he had given her a list of five or six pilots who would fly the plane, all of whom she understood to have commercial pilot licences.

Mr Ibbotson, who had a private pilot's licence, was not on this list.

The wreckage of the plane was found a month after the crash
Ms Keely said Mr Henderson emailed her on the morning of 22 January, 2019, after the crash, saying: "Hi Fay, I'm afraid I have bad news."

It went on to state that Mr Ibbotson had crashed the plane and there would be a Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) investigation as it was carrying a "celebrity footballer".

The inquest was told Mr Henderson advised Ms Keely in a phone call she would need legal advice and that the CAA would have questions for them, but that "they aren't the police, you don't have to speak to them".

Ms Keely said she was concerned about Mr Ibbotson's family, and asked Mr Henderson whether they knew of the crash.

The inquest heard he told her Mr Ibbotson's only family was an ex-wife in Australia.

Nora Ibbotson, Mr Ibbotson's wife, and son Bradley, from Crowle, Lincolnshire, have been present at the inquest daily, but were not in attendance for Ms Keely's evidence.

Ms Keely told the inquest she was unaware of the private flight carrying Emiliano Sala from Cardiff to Nantes on 18 January 2019 and the plan to return to Cardiff on 21 January.

It was only after the crash that Ms Keely became aware that Mr Ibbotson was not a commercial pilot.

Asked by coroner Ms Griffin whether she was aware of any fees paid for the flight or any arrangements for it, she replied: "I was not aware of any circumstances in relation to that flight whatsoever."

The jury heard the Piper Malibu was out of use for a period of time from the latter part of 2017 through to January 2018 for "significant" repair and maintenance work to be done, costing about £20,000.

Ms Keely bought the Piper Malibu in August 2015, concluding the purchase begun by her father before he died, the inquest was told.

The plane was registered with the US aviation authorities through Southern Aircraft Consultancy Incorporated who were, for the purposes of the registration, the owners of the plane.

Ms Keely's family company Cool Flourish Limited was registered as the operator of the aircraft.

The inquest jury heard earlier that the operator was deemed to be "the person with day-to-day control of the aircraft."

But Ms Keely said that following its purchase she never saw the plane and its daily management was through aircraft consultant David Henderson.

Under an informal arrangement with Mr Henderson, he managed the plane on her behalf, ensuring maintenance was kept up to date and any repairs needed were carried out.

He would oversee hiring out of the aircraft to others.

The inquest continues.

Re: Emiliano Sala inquest UPDATE!

Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:10 am

Football agent Willie McKay has denied knowingly arranging the illegal "grey" flight on which Emiliano Sala died.

Friday 25th February 2022

Sala, 28, was killed when the Piper Malibu he was in crashed into the English Channel on 21 January 2019 as it flew from Nantes.

The football player's body was recovered in February 2019 from wreckage found off Guernsey.

The body of pilot David Ibbotson, 59, has not been found.

At Dorset Coroners' Court, Cathryn McGahey QC, for Cardiff City FC, said flight organiser David Henderson had been offering flights in private planes not allowed to carry paying passengers - known as "grey flights".

Henderson was sentenced to 18 months in prison last November.

Sala had carbon monoxide poisoning prior to crash
Sala's final weeks were intense, inquest hears
Sala family lose bid for pilot's inquest evidence

But Willie McKay said: "I never knew anything about his business, all I knew is that we'd phone him and ask him to take us somewhere."

The agent was read a statement from Mr Henderson alleging he had told Mr McKay the flights were private, and that he had no licence to act as an air taxi or run charter flights.

Mr McKay said he had never heard this, and claimed he could not remember if he paid Mr Henderson in cash, despite taking 20 flights with him over the previous 14 years.

Mr McKay said: "This is a character assassination. I don't want to hear any more of this, I came here to say what actually happened."
Wreckage from the Piper MalibuImage source, AAIB
Image caption,
The wreckage of the plane was found a month after the crash

He denied ever meeting pilot Mr Ibbotson, despite a text message he had allegedly sent him telling him to come to his house and collect £270 in cash.

Ms McGahey said: "These are unofficial grey flights and you knew they were."

"I never knew anything about David Henderson's business," Mr McKay replied.

Mr McKay was repeatedly interrupted by coroner Rachael Griffin when he became angry about lines of questioning.

She reminded him contempt of court was an offence that could carry a jail sentence.

Matthew Reeve, for Sala's family, asked why Mr McKay had not offered his family's own plane, a King Air 200, to transport the player.

Mr McKay said the plane was getting its propellers serviced.

Mr Reeve suggested the company servicing the plane was refusing to release it until the McKay family paid a bill.

The agent said: "This is to discredit me. I came here in good faith. It is of no relevance at all whether I owe anyone money."

The inquest was earlier told Sala had no concerns about flying in a private plane.

Willie McKay said he wanted to help Emiliano Sala by arranging and paying for the flights

The inquest heard on Thursday that Willie McKay's son, footballer Jack McKay, asked his father to arrange a flight to France after Sala arrived in Wales to sign for Cardiff City.

Jack McKay, who played for Cardiff at the time, said he had been acting as an intermediary at the club, as he spoke good French.

He said Sala had been anxious to get back to Nantes to say goodbye to his teammates at the French club, before returning for his first training session in the Welsh capital.

Jack McKay said the Argentinian player raised no concerns about the condition of the plane following the outbound journey.

In a text message to Sala, Jack McKay said: "My dad said if you want to go home tomorrow we can organise a plane for you to go back to Nantes and come back on Monday before training on Tuesday."

Coroner Rachael Griffin asked: "Did he raise any concerns about going on a private plane?"

"No," Jack McKay replied. He confirmed Sala had not raised any concerns about the condition of the aircraft following the outbound flight.

Willie McKay said he wanted to help out Sala by arranging and paying for the private flights as he "felt as if Cardiff City had failed him" by not arranging a direct flight back following the signing.

He said when one firm could not provide flights for the following day, he called Mr Henderson because "if you've got a problem, David Henderson has usually got a solution".

The jury heard Mr Henderson was unable to fly himself but Willie McKay was "insistent" a solution be found.
David Henderson leaving courtImage source, Getty Images
Image caption,
Flight organiser David Henderson was jailed for 18 months

He said within 30 minutes Mr Henderson had arranged for an aircraft piloted by Mr Ibbotson to transport Sala.

Willie McKay said he made no inquiries about the pilot or the plane's condition.

The coroner told the jury they were likely to hear concerns were raised about the plane's condition once it arrived in Nantes.

She asked Willie McKay if he had been informed of concerns about the plane or if he had been told that an engineer had looked at it in Nantes.

He replied he had not.

He said he had "no idea" what 23 texts and calls from Mr Henderson - received after the plane arrived in Nantes and before it left for Cardiff - were about.

The coroner asked Willie McKay why he didn't make any checks about the plane or pilot.

He said: "When you call a taxi, do you ask the driver if they're insured or have a licence? No."

Ms Griffin said driving a taxi was "very different" to flying an aircraft.

"It is but, hey ho," replied Mr McKay.

The inquest previously heard Sala was overcome by toxic levels of carbon monoxide before he died from severe head and chest injuries consistent with a plane crash.

On Wednesday the jury was told Mr Ibbotson had been barred from flying the Piper Malibu by its owner, after receiving two notices of airspace infringements from the Civil Aviation Authority.

He had continued to pilot the plane without her knowledge.

The inquest continues.

Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:16 am

Very Very Sad Roger :cry: :cry:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=204226 :cry: :cry:

Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:31 am

Seems McKay is in some sort of denial, if he "can't remember" how he paid...

Cash (not in his accounts) or business transaction (in his accounts)

Very sad indeed; but seemingly indicative of the man himself :cry:

Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:32 am

So, the mackay did organise the flight….that’s good to know. I bet there is some evidence somewhere about Sala not being happy about the state of that plane, there certainly was on WhatsApp messages on the doomed flight…..he said it was falling apart.

Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:54 am

goats wrote:So, the mackay did organise the flight….that’s good to know. I bet there is some evidence somewhere about Sala not being happy about the state of that plane, there certainly was on WhatsApp messages on the doomed flight…..he said it was falling apart.

I would have thought the key question is on who’s behalf was McKay acting when he organised the flight. Was it Cardiff or Nantes or some sort of ad hoc arrangement where no one was responsible for the getting Sala to Cardiff and it was all done at the last minute. The whole thing seems a complete mess.

Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:04 am

Igovernor wrote:Ms Griffin said driving a taxi was "very different" to flying an aircraft.

"It is but, hey ho," replied Mr McKay.

What a horrible person.

Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:09 am

Crayfish wrote:
goats wrote:So, the mackay did organise the flight….that’s good to know. I bet there is some evidence somewhere about Sala not being happy about the state of that plane, there certainly was on WhatsApp messages on the doomed flight…..he said it was falling apart.

I would have thought the key question is on who’s behalf was McKay acting when he organised the flight. Was it Cardiff or Nantes or some sort of ad hoc arrangement where no one was responsible for the getting Sala to Cardiff and it was all done at the last minute. The whole thing seems a complete mess.

It seems that they are suggesting that the flight was arranged for Sala as he wanted to say goodbye to the Nante team.

Not arranged on behalf of Nante or Cardiff.

Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:39 pm

23 calls made to mackay on the day of the crash from Henderson according to daily mirror report and mackay cannot recall what they were about, draw from that if mackay is being completely honest.

Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:20 pm

Clumsy attempt by McKay in claiming that Cardiff had failed Emiliano Sala as it's on record from AAIB investigation which formed part of the criminal trial of DH that our "Player Liaison" officer had contacted ES asking if he needed any help with arranging flights and he had answered No it's covered. As it turns out it was Willie McKay who had made the arrangements but NOT with a commercial airline but an unlicensed Poundland outfit.

Lots more to still come out in this inquest but for me Willie McKay has really shown himself up here and for the Coroner to remind him in respect of Contempt Of Court tells you everything you need to know about the man.

I'm surprised that he wasn't asked why he was involved in this transfer as he is banned from being an agent by FIFA.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:08 pm

castleblue wrote:Clumsy attempt by McKay in claiming that Cardiff had failed Emiliano Sala as it's on record from AAIB investigation which formed part of the criminal trial of DH that our "Player Liaison" officer had contacted ES asking if he needed any help with arranging flights and he had answered No it's covered. As it turns out it was Willie McKay who had made the arrangements but NOT with a commercial airline but an unlicensed Poundland outfit.

Lots more to still come out in this inquest but for me Willie McKay has really shown himself up here and for the Coroner to remind him in respect of Contempt Of Court tells you everything you need to know about the man.

I'm surprised that he wasn't asked why he was involved in this transfer as he is banned from being an agent by FIFA.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Couldn't agree more, Gary; and I think your last question will come (maybe elsewhere) at the appropriate point

The guy McKay is a disgrace and he doesn't seem to care as he looks to worm his way out of his situation :evil:

Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:09 pm

Its like reading the pitiful wimperings of an indifferent schoolboy, which is why he's there in the first place.

Keep digging Willie.. make the fall a bit bigger.

Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:17 am

McKay seems like an arrogant and aggressive man. Clearly lying and unwilling to take responsibility for his part in this tragic event.

Really hope he gets what he deserves here. A spell inside.

Still disgusted by Warnock bringing his boys in to play for us, when they clearly weren’t good enough and it appears as a smokescreen to pander to Willie McKay.

No surprise our recruitment has improved since we’ve had managers in who do things professionally and not through an old boys network

Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:08 am

Reading that WM was warned about his answers yesterday by the coroner and reminded contempt of court is a custodial sentence.

Denied ever meeting Ibbotson, yet a text was found on his phone asking Ibbotson to come to his house to collect £270.

Despite 20 flights WM used or arranged he cannot remember how he paid Henderson.

The guy is guilty as sin imo

Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:20 am

It's quite obvious that mckay arranged the flight and was nantes selling agent and failed in his duty of care to nantes ,Cardiff city and more importantly sala, I can see all these inquests having a massive bearing on the cas case which isn't about if sala was a registered cardiff player or not but will consider all aspects of what went on not just a player registration unlike fifa .

Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:03 am

Cathryn McGahey QC, representing Cardiff City FC, said:

“We have heard the term ‘grey flights’ meaning flights by private planes that are not allowed to carry paying passengers that do carry paying passengers – because that’s what Mr Henderson was offering.

“He had no commercial licence to carry paying passengers.”

Willie McKay replied: “I never knew anything about his business, all I knew is that we’d phone him and ask him to take us somewhere.”

The agent was read a statement from Mr Henderson alleging he had told Mr McKay the flights were private, and that he had no licence to act as an air taxi or run charter flights.

Mr McKay said he had never heard this, and claimed he could not remember if he paid Mr Henderson in cash despite taking 20 flights with him over the previous 14 years.

In an angry outburst, Mr McKay said: “This is a character assassination. I don’t want to hear any more of this, I came here to say what actually happened.”

He denied ever meeting Mr Ibbotson, despite a text message he had allegedly sent him telling him to come to his house and collect £270 in cash.

Ms McGahey said: “These are unofficial grey flights and you knew they were.”

“I never knew anything about David Henderson’s business,” Mr McKay replied.

Mr McKay had to be repeatedly interrupted by Coroner Rachael Griffin when he became angry about lines of questioning.

At one point she was forced to remind him that contempt of court is an offence that can carry a sentence of imprisonment.

Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:34 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Cathryn McGahey QC, representing Cardiff City FC, said:

“We have heard the term ‘grey flights’ meaning flights by private planes that are not allowed to carry paying passengers that do carry paying passengers – because that’s what Mr Henderson was offering.

“He had no commercial licence to carry paying passengers.”

Willie McKay replied: “I never knew anything about his business, all I knew is that we’d phone him and ask him to take us somewhere.”

Mr McKay said he had never heard this, and claimed he could not remember if he paid Mr Henderson in cash despite taking 20 flights with him over the previous 14 years.

In an angry outburst, Mr McKay said: “This is a character assassination. I don’t want to hear any more of this, I came here to say what actually happened.”

He denied ever meeting Mr Ibbotson, despite a text message he had allegedly sent him telling him to come to his house and collect £270 in cash.

Ms McGahey said: “These are unofficial grey flights and you knew they were.”

“I never knew anything about David Henderson’s business,” Mr McKay replied.

Mr McKay had to be repeatedly interrupted by Coroner Rachael Griffin when he became angry about lines of questioning.

At one point she was forced to remind him that contempt of court is an offence that can carry a sentence of imprisonment.

Mckay up to his neck in it ,digging a new bigger hole for himself all will be used in evidence against him in future court cases .

Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:29 pm

Lawnmower wrote:McKay seems like an arrogant and aggressive man. Clearly lying and unwilling to take responsibility for his part in this tragic event.

Really hope he gets what he deserves here. A spell inside.

Still disgusted by Warnock bringing his boys in to play for us, when they clearly weren’t good enough and it appears as a smokescreen to pander to Willie McKay.

No surprise our recruitment has improved since we’ve had managers in who do things professionally and not through an old boys network

Tim

Hopefully the club representatives will be able to show that Willie McKay`s evidence is false and/or very misleading when they get their chance to speak when called as witnesses at the inquest early next week.

Willie McKay is a horrible person and his track record is awful. When he was made bankrupt he declared assets of only £9k but was based out of Monaco - not sure how you can live there with that little money. Normally a bankrupt will get discharged from bankruptcy restrictions after 12 months but his behaviour was such that his bankruptcy restriction period was made 5 years and is in force until August 2023.He was lucky to get away from being convicted of criminal offences of hiding assets away from his Trustee in bankruptcy . Behaviour since the tragic crash has included threats of violence against CCFC directors and staff and the requirement of a restraining order.

Brief research of son Mark who is a registered intermediary who can be involved in football transfers (unlike his father) shows that he is only listed as a director (with his mother) of two "live" companies , both of which may shortly be wound up because of non filing of accounts. He has been a director of three companies put into liquidation , including Excelfoot Limited which was wound up by HMRC in Scotland for non payment of very substantial tax debts. That doesn`t get you struck off as a registered intermediary , only personal insolvency does.

As for Neil Warnock , I share your concern about his involvement with Willie McKay. The signing of Paul McKay and his twin on professional contracts at CCFC stinks (see their playing career record online) - what was in it for NW? I also hold the directors of the club responsible for allowing him to do it or indeed to let him push the whole idea of signing Emiliano Sala to Vincent Tan against their instruction - this is not any secret , Mehmet Dalman has said in an open meeting with fans that he and Ken Choo told VT they were against signing him as being too expensive and not good enough for the (inflated) fee negotiated by Willie McKay. It was not as if NW and the club didn`t know about McKay`s track record as NW had dealings with him in the past - look up the questions asked about the transfer of Joey Barton from Newcastle to QPR when NW was the manager and Willie McKay was the agent brokering the deal.

What we needed at the time was someone on the board - a director of football - who could persuade VT that these deals and some others of NW were wrong for the club instead of NW telling him that he was the only one with football knowledge (which was true). It would have saved VT £millions. Again MD told a meeting that they had recommended such an appointment to VT but he was against it. Little point in appointing a D of F now in the short term as the club has already said that it will not be spending much on transfers in the next year or so unless things change materially there is a far lesser risk of losing money on transfers or overinflated wage payments to players (some of whom were connected to an agency employing someone very close to NW).

Despite the above facts , by far the most important factor in all this is the tragedy of the loss of life of Emiliano Sala .No matter who is eventually held responsible for his death, his family will never get him back in their lives.

Keith

Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:27 am

Cheers Keith.

It’s a right mess. As for a DOF, I don’t think Warnock would have accepted this. He had control of the club and due to the great job he did getting us promoted etc admiration from the fans , myself included.

Difficult situation for the board.

Unfortunately we are still paying the price for it now.

Poor Sala paid the highest price in the end

Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:43 am

Lawnmower wrote:Cheers Keith.

It’s a right mess. As for a DOF, I don’t think Warnock would have accepted this. He had control of the club and due to the great job he did getting us promoted etc admiration from the fans , myself included.

Difficult situation for the board.

Unfortunately we are still paying the price for it now.

Poor Sala paid the highest price in the end

I am as fickle as the next fan and celebrated when Warnock got us out of a relegation scrape and promoted.

BUT, it was short termism and his style of football, bravado and dodgy transfer dealings damaged our club significantly - which the board has to take more responsibility than Warnock because they appointed him, kept him and allowed Warnock and other managers to run amok with our finances and football team.

The reality is that our club has been poorly run for many years.

I don't think the Sala tragedy is however, a reflection of our club, at the time we were desperate for a decent striker and he fitted the bill - his death was a culmination of many aspects of the awful things that take place in football.

Re: Update on Emiliano Sala inquest!

Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:35 am

A football agent has claimed he arranged Emiliano Sala's doomed private charter flight because a Cardiff City official was "too scared" to ask senior club management to help.

Willie McKay helped broker transfer of the Argentinian striker from Ligue 1's Nantes to Cardiff City in January 2019.

Sala, 28, died when the Piper Malibu aircraft he was on crashed into the English Channel later that month.

The body of pilot David Ibbotson, 59, has not been found.

Sala was returning to Wales from France, having gone back to Nantes to say goodbye to his former teammates on flights organised by Mr McKay.

Giving evidence, Mr McKay claimed he stepped in to arrange the return flights because a junior official at Cardiff City was "too scared" to ask senior club management.

Willie McKay was working for his son Mark McKay's firm, as he was barred from acting as an agent in his own right
Mr McKay said Callum Davies, the club's player liaison officer, was "perplexed" at the decision by the club and chief executive Ken Choo not to arrange it.

"Callum knew what the answer was going to be. I just felt that Callum was too scared to ask - that was my feeling," Mr McKay said.

He added that he phoned pilot David Henderson to arrange the outward flight on 18 January and the return three days later. Mr Henderson then hired Mr Ibbotson, as he was unavailable.

"I have used David Henderson for 14 years and he had never let me down. David Henderson was a top, top pilot and flew in the RAF and flew planes all round the world," Mr McKay said.

Flight organiser David Henderson was jailed for 18 months
Mr McKay was barred at the time from acting as an agent in the transfer in his own right because he was an undischarged bankrupt, but was working for his son Mark's firm which was representing Nantes.

The inquest also heard from Mr Davies, who denied he was "too fearful" to ask Cardiff City to organise the charter flights, adding he "wasn't a responsible enough person" to confirm private flights.

Mr Davies told the court: "Willie McKay asked me about the plans to get him back to Nantes and I said I would have to speak to the club.

"The only option I would consider would be a commercial flight.

"I didn't want to treat Emiliano Sala any different to any other player, despite the amount of money we were spending on him
."

Mr Davies said he sent details of commercial flights to Mr Sala, but the footballer later confirmed Mr McKay had made the arrangements.

The inquest continues
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:40 am

Mckay really is a piece of work; more than happy to throw someone/anyone under a bus to save his own skin :oops:

Some anomolies in his 'story' there; but none moreso than his double entendre of stating Callum Davies (quote) "was too scared" and "he believed" all in one sentence...

Can't be both, Secret Agent McKay; it can't be both! :roll:

Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:50 am

This guy as tried to shift blame to others on several occasions... he is a proven liar and very undesirable person generally... normally a junior member of staff would not authorise a private flight only board member at least could...but he did have the authority to set up commercial flight given that there was no time constraint in him signing as team had long break for next game.. McKay appeared to be in hurry to get sala on plane as Davies didn't have chance to organise anything before fateful flight was arranged. Perhaps club could have done better regarding flight but we are not privvy to actual events leading up to flight so hard for people to comment accurately.