Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Warnock linked with a shock return to save Cardiff from re .

Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:00 am

Backward step in my opinion.

Neil Warnock has been linked with a shock managerial return to Cardiff City.

Neil Warnock previously saved Cardiff from relegation and got the club promotion to the Premier League.

The veteran manager, 73, has been out of work since he left Middlesbrough at the start of November, but has refused to rule out a return to the dugout.

And now, The Sun report that the Bluebirds, along with Severnside rivals Bristol City, are entertaining the possibility of appointing Warnock.

Cardiff are desperate to stay in the Championship and owner Tan, believes Warnock can once again save the Welsh club.

Cardiff sit 20th in the Championship table and have to start moving quickly if they are to get themselves away from the drop zone in the coming weeks.

A drop into League One is almost unthinkable for Cardiff, whose financial position is precarious at best with lawsuits hanging over their heads and Vincent Tan's leisure empire having taken a massive hit during the pandemic.

Steve Morison, whose short-term deal runs until the end of the season, brought an immediate lift when he was appointed manager, but Cardiff are now winless in their last six Championship matches and are currently being saved from a bottom-three spot only by virtue of Reading and Derby County's points deductions.

Read more: All the latest Cardiff City news, views, features and interviews

The report adds that Tan "looks set to make a change" in the dugout if the Bluebirds' league standing does not improve.

Warnock, of course, enjoyed a success-laden three years in charge in the Welsh capital, steering the club to Premier League promotion in the 2017/18 season. He left the club in November 2019.

Cardiff's cross-border rivals Bristol City are also linked with a move for Warnock. Nigel Pearson has been in the job only 11 months and has more than two years left on his current deal.

The Robins are 16th in the table and have won only two games in their last seven, one of which was the Severnside derby last weekend.

The report comes after fellow veteran boss Roy Hodgson landed a job at 74, taking over the reins at Watford this week.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Warnock linked with a shock return .

Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:04 am

Backward step in my opinion.[/quote]

Forever grateful for what he did here but Massive backward step imo. TBH it's guesswork from Wales online. Lazy journalism again :roll:

Re: Warnock linked with a shock return to save Cardiff from

Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:27 am

The man is a absolute legend. I could understand it if we we were 4/5 points adrift, but we're not it will take a huge effort for Derby or Barnsley to catch us were 3 points clear of Peterborough with significantly better goal difference and a decent run of fixtures coming up

Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:27 am

The only good point about this , is that the board are now realising we are really in danger of relegation.

Lets hope it transpires with a few more signings before monday.

Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:28 am

Sometimes needs must. It's not a backwards step because we are worse off now than when he first come in.

Everyone who says backward step need to realise we are seriously flirting with relegation.

Morrison has shown we can play football. He just hasn't done anything about the defence.

Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:30 am

Reply FB:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:31 am

Wrong move by Tan if true . Another step backwards. Long term plan is needed for the club

Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:36 am

Back to Hoof Ball no thanks.

Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:42 am

Just can't see this happening.

Tan has made a mess of it all and now needs to accept what is going ot happen and work on a solution to reverse this trend starting next season.

Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:43 am

I think it’s a brill idea , fetch him back Morrison could learn a lot off him

Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:44 am

We played hoof ball at the start of the season didn't work with this group of players

Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:52 am

No please stick with morison

Who would you rather in the dug out in a relegation scrap.

Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:04 am

I used to love it when someone would say to Neil - as yes but it's negative football, it's not pretty to watch and his response was Id rather win then lose , and since when has winning a game been seen as a negative.

If (like we are) in a relegation scrap - who would you rather want in the dug out - Morison or Warnock ?

If I had to bet the house on us staying up or not - then Warnock every time - and yes I know it would only be a short term thing rather than 'building for the future' - try telling fans that when we are playing Accrington Stanley on Boxing Day, in front of a bumper 8,000 crowd

Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:09 am

Please no! We are trying to move forward. Stick with Steve Morison

Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:13 am

Are they kidding. Morison is bringing in players who can play a good style of football, Warnock would come in and take us back to the hump ball game or as I call it the Whack it up Warnock way.We can stay in the Championship with Steve Morison.Let Bristol City have him. We will end up like Dad's army with Capt Mannering in charge NO NO NO Warnock he wasted so much money on useless players retire Warnock and stay retired for the sake of good football.

Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:15 am

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:Backward step in my opinion.

Forever grateful for what he did here but Massive backward step imo. TBH it's guesswork from Wales online. Lazy journalism again :roll:[/quote]

It is a report from the Sun not Wales online

But yes it is a backwood step, doubt there is a manager in the league who could do any better with the players left here by previous managers

Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:21 am

rontom wrote:

Forever grateful for what he did here but Massive backward step imo. TBH it's guesswork from Wales online. Lazy journalism again :roll:

But yes it is a backwood step, doubt there is a manager in the league who could do any better with the players left here by previous managers[/quote]
Apologies. Lazy journalism from The Sun, who are known for it.

Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:21 am

I was going to start a post yesterday, that Warnock could come in and save us get us to pull away for the rest of the season, as he had done it before here and elsewhere, but then I remembered his last days here and our form then was terrible then too!

It's a tricky one but probably worth considering he is the proven expert at this, he usually has an impact, can reorganise the defence and stop us conceding soft goals, that's the priority!

Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:26 am

Bluebina wrote:I was going to start a post yesterday, that Warnock could come in and save us get us to pull away for the rest of the season, as he had done it before here and elsewhere, but then I remembered his last days here and our form then was terrible then too!

It's a tricky one but probably worth considering he is the proven expert at this, he usually has an impact, can reorganise the defence and stop us conceding soft goals, that's the priority!

I meant to say, if he did come back it should be as a consultant, or coach to Morison to help him in a relegation battle, not as the Manager.

Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:27 am

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
rontom wrote:

But yes it is a backwood step, doubt there is a manager in the league who could do any better with the players left here by previous managers

Apologies. Lazy journalism from The Sun, who are known for it.[/quote]
Actually, there’s pretty much an identical report from WOL. Lazy either way :thumbup:

Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:30 am

We are in a mess, and Warnock is a massive symptom of this. Would you like to have over 50 million to spend? He did, on Madine, Cunningham, Reid, Murphy, Sniithies, Glatzel, Flint, Vaulks, Bacuna, Bogle, Tomlin and Isaac bloody Vassell draining our wages. Not to mention those dodgy Mackay boys from Scotland. On top of all this, hoofball and no interest in our academy. I don’t want him anywhere near my club as an employee , modern football is heavily reliant on good recruitment. Take another look at those names above and the pound signs next to them. Smithies on 30k a week . It’s terrible mismanagement but hopefully nothing more than lazy journalism

Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:34 am

I won't be paying to watch hoof ball that's for sure.. Stick with morrison.. He's doing well enough with what he's got available..

Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:38 am

Perhaps signing a lot of quality players on loan would be more benificial

but i did like warnocks time here great feeling at the club and city and the best connection with manager/fans relationship

and we played with 2 wingers and i remember a lot on here agreeing with warnock at the time about tippy tappy football

a lot i should imagine would be on the fence with this one

i like what morrisons is doing but he needs more quality on the pitch

and IF warnock came back could he do anything with this team for the rest of the season without signing anyone.

Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:45 am

It's the right idea if it is for this season only. A very quick fix before planning for next season, wherever we may be.....

Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:03 am

Don't panic. Don't panic.

Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:43 am

Bring him back as defence coach. :occasion5:

Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:01 pm

litoblues wrote:I won't be paying to watch hoof ball that's for sure.. Stick with morrison.. He's doing well enough with what he's got available..

Hoofball and survive or continue with the current style and get relegated.

What would you choose?

That said, it is too early to shit our pants and our current style will see us survive.

Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:59 pm

stickywicket wrote:Don't panic. Don't panic.

About right if any of this is true.

Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:10 pm

I would take him purely to keep us up until the end of the season,Morison won't be our manager next season anyway so it doesn't make a great deal of difference.

Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:22 pm

No thanks.

This would be extremely short sighted by the club, if true. He'd probably keep us up and be rewarded with a contract extension, sending us back down the hoofball road.

He couldn't get this group of players to perform the last time he was here and the squad is much weaker now. His signings, after we were relegated, are one of the main reasons we are in this sorry mess.

Back morison with a few more loans to keep us up and begin the rebuild over the summer.