DERBY ON A ROLL BUT ON THE BRINK AGAIN

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Sven » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:59 pm

Derby County 'face 17-day deadline to avoid expulsion'
By Peter Smith

It is claimed Derby County could have their golden share suspended

Derby County, one of the 12 founding members of the Football League and two-time champions, could be kicked out of the competition if they do not prove funds to complete the season, it is claimed.

Derby are in administration and have already received a 21-point penalty by the EFL, as well as being placed in a transfer embargo.

But there were claims this morning that they could have their all-important golden share suspended mid-way through the season unless they show funds are in place by midday on February 1.

That would mean that all results and fixtures are expunged.

Alan Nixon adds: "This heavyweight threat emerged after administrators Quantuma were unable to do a deal with the EFL to handle the claims of Middlesbrough and Wycombe down the line."

There are currently three parties bidding to take over Derby, who were plunged into administration by Mel Morris in September.

A consortium headed by former owner Andy Appleby; Sports Direct boss Mike Ashley and a mystery third party are lining up to take control.

The administrators released an update yesterday evening following another day of twists and turns.

Figure put on Derby County's funds needed to finish season
It said: "The joint administrators are very much aware of the heightened speculation as to the future of DCFC - such speculation was not helped by yesterday’s press reports following a meeting of the EFL board yesterday (Thursday). This statement hopefully addresses some of the concerns as well as setting out the current position in relation to the administration.

"As we have previously reported there has been considerable interest from a number of credible parties. There are currently three parties who have made offers.

"One of the Joint Administrators duties is to act in the interest of all creditors, and this includes secured creditors, preferential creditors and the unsecured (“ordinary") creditors owed monies by the club.

"In relation to a football insolvency this duty is further compounded by dealing with those creditors known as “football creditors” which need to be dealt with in order to protect the club’s ongoing membership of the English Football League.

"The Joint Administrators have an exit plan ready to implement and be approved by creditors and this is with a view to adjusting offers received to accommodate the EFL insolvency policy and their requirements to creditors.

"The difficulty and currently, in our view, the last remaining significant obstacle is to deal with certain claims that are very much disputed but which we are being advised by the EFL cannot be currently compromised notwithstanding statute says otherwise. Whilst we accept this is frustrating for all, none of the interested parties are able to progress matters further until such time that an agreement can be reached.

"Linked to the above is the need to ensure the club can be funded, if needs be, over the coming months or until we have successfully complete a sale. The EFL have demanded that we prove adequate funding is in place and until as such time as we are able to do that, they will not progress player registrations – this includes some players where contracts needed to be extended this month.

"Whilst we have a number of options as to how that funding can be delivered, we are not, today, in a position to finalise this funding however we do believe
this will be finalised in the coming weeks.

"We are aware of yesterday’s press comments, however, the position is not straight forward bearing in mind the position of other stakeholders. We are urgently seeking clarification from the EFL as to why these disputed claims cannot be compromised
."

The EFL also released a statement following Thursday's meeting.

It said: "Following its Board Meeting on Thursday 13 January, the EFL has written to the Administrators reiterating that it needs confirmation as a matter of urgency of how they intend to trade whilst Derby County remains in administration including a funding plan that will enable the Club to fulfil its fixture obligations until the end of the current season.

"Without this visibility the League is unable to approve any player signings or renew existing registrations and this position had been communicated to the Club prior to yesterday’s meeting
."
Attachments
0_Derby-County-v-Nottingham-Forest-Sky-Bet-Championship-Pride-Park-Stadium.jpg
0_Derby-County-v-Nottingham-Forest-Sky-Bet-Championship-Pride-Park-Stadium.jpg (38.6 KiB) Viewed 6532 times
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: DERBY ON A ROLL BUT ON THE BRINK AGAIN

Postby stickywicket » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:29 pm

WAYNE ROONEY’S Derby County are in crisis talks with the EFL as a fight with Middlesbrough and Wycombe threatens their survival bid.

The Rams administrators want to ‘compress’ the compensation claims by Boro and Wanderers who are seeking £45million and £6m respectively for the effect of their Financial Fair Play breaches.
stickywicket

Postby Bakedalasker » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:35 pm

stickywicket wrote:WAYNE ROONEY’S Derby County are in crisis talks with the EFL as a fight with Middlesbrough and Wycombe threatens their survival bid.

The Rams administrators want to ‘compress’ the compensation claims by Boro and Wanderers who are seeking £45million and £6m respectively for the effect of their Financial Fair Play breaches.

I can understand the claim from Wycombe but not the one from Boro. Any idea what that is all about?
Bakedalasker

Postby Sven » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:06 am

Bakedalasker wrote:
stickywicket wrote:WAYNE ROONEY’S Derby County are in crisis talks with the EFL as a fight with Middlesbrough and Wycombe threatens their survival bid.

I can understand the claim from Wycombe but not the one from Boro. Any idea what that is all about?

Ian, Steve Gibson, the Boro owner, Boro is pressing on with a legal case to sue Derby for alleged financial (FFP) breaches and it has been rumbling for a number of years.

Steve Gibson has been critical of clubs that have breached financial rules, branding them as "cheats" and he has been on a mission to get the EFL to enforce their own financial fair play regulations.

Derby's controversial 'sale' of Pride Park in 2018 is said to have particularly angered Gibson after Mel Morris sold Pride Park for £81m to a subsidiary he owns, a transaction that enabled the Rams to avoid a loss that would have been a breach of profitability and sustainability rules.

Gibson was said to have made a 'robust intervention' at a meeting of Championship clubs in March of 2019 and is seemingly 'on a mission' to take Derby County to task for their 'deliberate' transgressions
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Snaag » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:38 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:

Middlesborough missed out on a play-off spot to Derby that year they sold the ground I believe.
Snaag

Postby Bakedalasker » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:43 pm

Sven wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:

Ian, Steve Gibson, the Boro owner, Boro is pressing on with a legal case to sue Derby for alleged financial (FFP) breaches and it has been rumbling for a number of years.

Steve Gibson has been critical of clubs that have breached financial rules, branding them as "cheats" and he has been on a mission to get the EFL to enforce their own financial fair play regulations.

Derby's controversial 'sale' of Pride Park in 2018 is said to have particularly angered Gibson after Mel Morris sold Pride Park for £81m to a subsidiary he owns, a transaction that enabled the Rams to avoid a loss that would have been a breach of profitability and sustainability rules.

Gibson was said to have made a 'robust intervention' at a meeting of Championship clubs in March of 2019 and is seemingly 'on a mission' to take Derby County to task for their 'deliberate' transgressions

Thanks Chris. That clears it up.
Bakedalasker

Postby jimmy_rat » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:56 pm

To be fair. I'm team Gibson.

Too many of these teams take the piss with dodgy finances. Especially given how we have struggled and had to cost cut.
jimmy_rat

Postby Sven » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:05 pm

jimmy_rat wrote:To be fair. I'm team Gibson.

Too many of these teams take the piss with dodgy finances. Especially given how we have struggled and had to cost cut.

Agree! :thumbup:

We've had our own brush with FFP and the club dealt with it properly and it later transpired it was a genuine clerical error partly caused by the EFL themselves

One (of several) things most can never take away from Tan is that he has never sought 'nefarious means' to avoid a debt; historic or otherwise
Sven

Postby theclaw » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:13 pm

Rooney to Everton could be the final nail in the coffin :wave:
theclaw

Postby Bakedalasker » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:21 pm

Indeed their finances have been dodgy and the Derby fans have known this for a long time. They are now all turning on their owner Mel Morris blaming him for everything BUT they were not doing that before all this happened.

I'm not sure just how serious this "expulsion" is but if it happens its going to leave a massive void in the area. I just can't see it happening but how it all is going to be resolved I just don't know. Whoever steps in, if someone does, will definitely have to throw good money into bad money. They will have to agree that they will have to financially support the club to the end of the season. Then after that they could be facing heavy claims from Boro and Wycombe and all this playing in League One at our benefit hopefully. However, sort that out and they could have a good club on their hands with big crowds following them. That's tempting for the sharks like Mike Ashley.
Bakedalasker

Postby Sven » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:23 pm

theclaw wrote:Rooney to Everton could be the final nail in the coffin :wave:

The only worry there is that Everton have some very good players who could 'do a Solskjaer' and make him look better than he is (for a while at least)
Sven

Postby Danny Says » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:05 pm

I’ve no sympathy with the owners of Derby but complete sympathy with the fans.
I’m a football fan and it must be horrible to be a fan of a club on the brink.
Danny Says

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:12 pm

Danny Says wrote:I’ve no sympathy with the owners of Derby but complete sympathy with the fans.
I’m a football fan and it must be horrible to be a fan of a club on the brink.

Totally agree.
bluebirdoct1962

Postby stickywicket » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:20 pm

Yesterday' Attendance:24,597.Wait until our next home game,lucky to get 13000.
stickywicket

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:22 pm

stickywicket wrote:Yesterday' Attendance:24,597.Wait until our next home game,lucky to get 13000.

What’s your point mate?
bluebirdoct1962

Postby stickywicket » Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:04 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
stickywicket wrote:Yesterday' Attendance:24,597.Wait until our next home game,lucky to get 13000.

What’s your point mate?

Attendance:24,597.Wait until our next home game,lucky to get 13000.
stickywicket

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:11 pm

stickywicket wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

What’s your point mate?

:?:
bluebirdoct1962

Postby M4 Exile » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:40 pm

Sven wrote:

The only worry there is that Everton have some very good players who could 'do a Solskjaer' and make him look better than he is (for a while at least)

Don’t know why you’re implying that he’s a bad manager? Derby would be comfortably mid table without the points deduction, with a worse squad than us, a handful of ancient players and even more youngsters than we have.

Add to the fact that he is personally paying a lot of the staff himself, aside from tabloid style personal life incidences he seems to be a decent guy
M4 Exile

Postby Sven » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:47 pm

M4 Exile wrote:
Sven wrote:

Don’t know why you’re implying that he’s a bad manager? Derby would be comfortably mid table without the points deduction, with a worse squad than us, a handful of ancient players and even more youngsters than we have.

Add to the fact that he is personally paying a lot of the staff himself, aside from tabloid style personal life incidences he seems to be a decent guy

I'm not; he's done a decent job at Derby County and I am aware of his creditable 'personal' input

I'm just saying Everton (and I understand the link with him being an Evertonian by birth, support and career) is a little too early, if Everton want to move forward as their Board seem to want. It was the same with Solskjaer and (ironically) Derby's last former player come manager, Frank Lampard, Jnr. :thumbright:
Sven

Postby stickywicket » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:09 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
stickywicket wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

What’s your point mate?

Note the difference in support.We've had two promotions.they have had fcuk all to shout about..We have piss poor home support.Oh no We have to have had a booster or lateral flow test.Shocking.
It's great supporting City away from home.However.it lines the home sides pockets.£31 quid to see Brizzle City,they must think here come the cardiff mugs again.
I went to watch Derby for a pre season friendly with my brother in law.Packed house.It might be cold and icey up there,but they have got great fans.
stickywicket

Postby Bakedalasker » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:32 pm

stickywicket wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
stickywicket wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

What’s your point mate?

Note the difference in support.We've had two promotions.they have had fcuk all to shout about..We have piss poor home support.Oh no We have to have had a booster or lateral flow test.Shocking.
It's great supporting City away from home.However.it lines the home sides pockets.£31 quid to see Brizzle City,they must think here come the cardiff mugs again.
I went to watch Derby for a pre season friendly with my brother in law.Packed house.It might be cold and icey up there,but they have got great fans.

Yes they have.

Sometimes they play Burton Albion pre-season friendly. The place is packed with Derby fans at the Pirelli. In fact Burton is a Derby's fan second team. That's how it is up here.
Bakedalasker

Postby Sven » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:15 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
stickywicket wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
stickywicket wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

What’s your point mate?

Yes they have.

Sometimes they play Burton Albion pre-season friendly. The place is packed with Derby fans at the Pirelli. In fact Burton is a Derby's fan second team. That's how it is up here.

All joking apart, we've always had a good reception at Pride Park. Their support is passionate and (like us) they detest the Forest! :occasion5:
Sven

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:21 am

stickywicket wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
stickywicket wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

What’s your point mate?

Totally get that but I was questioning the relevance of the point re the OT
bluebirdoct1962

Postby Abergavenny » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:18 am

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
stickywicket wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
stickywicket wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

What’s your point mate?

Totally get that but I was questioning the relevance of the point re the OT

Derby always had good support It is a football town with no other sports team of note or really any other great sporting interest there The are a smaller version of Newcastle in that mould Cardiff has never been a football city in my time of watching since the early 70s
Abergavenny

Postby mjw6150 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:12 pm

Or their saving grace if the compensation package is big enough
mjw6150

Return to General Chat