Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Steve Morison turns on players?

Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:43 pm

Steve Morison; "if the boys in the dressing room are not capable of doing it, we will try and get people who are better at doing it.”

That’s what we need, Steve. If they’re not performing, bring in players who are hungry and can provide.”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Steve Morison turns on players?

Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:47 pm

Feeling the pressure I say.

At least this time he is not picking out one player.

Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:51 pm

I wouldn't say he's feeling the pressure. I'd say it's more that for once we have a manager who has identified the issues amd is trying to put it right. It's great to hear stuff like this from a manager. Whether he gets the backing to solve the problems is another thing. Cant fault morison so far tbh.

Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:53 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Steve Morison; "if the boys in the dressing room are not capable of doing it, we will try and get people who are better at doing it.”

That’s what we need, Steve. If they’re not performing, bring in players who are hungry and can provide.”

Makes sense to me.

Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:05 pm

Think he needs to take the finger of blame too. He's making mistakes, and most annoyingly it seems to be the same over and over.

No doubt we're improving. But is he doing enough? I feel he can do more with his team selections and mindset.

People moaning we're useless up top. What on earth are Harris and Collins going to do with 8 players camped behind them on the half way line?! Neither are 'hold up' type players.

Let's have some width up the pitch and extra body. Colwill for one of the CBs?

I'm sure the game plan is to be tight until the last 30, when he's ultimately making good substitutions and we improve. But why can't we start on the front foot? Cos chasing every game is getting tiring!

Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:18 pm

A, few players need to shown the door.
Sad to say Keiffer Moore is one of them

Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:22 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Steve Morison; "if the boys in the dressing room are not capable of doing it, we will try and get people who are better at doing it.”

Maybe he should think about his own performance. Davies great against Preston gets dropped, Collins awful against them and plays today - and he was poor again today.

Totally wrong use of subs again today and far too late. We were in control and replacing Vaulks with Pack just slowed us down - Sang of Colwill should have come on at that point.

Harris was great today but got hooked - Davies should have been on for Collins.

We would have then stretched them far more than we did in the last 25 minutes.

Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:24 pm

He's 100% bang on in my opinion but who's he got coming in with zero wonga. For to long we have had managers saying nonsence after games atleast he's honest :roll:

Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:10 pm

STEVE MORISON:

"We need to be better in the final third. We have got to put the ball in the back of the net.“

"And if the boys in the dressing room are not capable of doing it, we will try and get people who are better at doing it.

"There are too many games where we have done that. Hull at home, QPR at home, Blackburn at home. No one can tell me we weren't as good as Blackburn today, but we haven't put the ball in the back of the net. So, ultimately, we are not as good.

"Like I said to them in the dressing room. We are going to sustain our work defensively, giving up very, very little chances, we are going to sustain our work in terms of progression from back to front, but we are going to have to spend a lot more time over the next two weeks getting better in the final third."

The transfer window is, of course, open, and Cardiff are thought to be in the market for those forward positions.

But Morison's message to his players is simple: Don't give me a reason to replace you.

"The boys need help. We need to be better in the final third," he added.

"Like I said to the players in there, 'Don't make me go and get someone for the final third from elsewhere'."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:16 pm

Forever Blue wrote:STEVE MORISON:

"We need to be better in the final third. We have got to put the ball in the back of the net.“

"And if the boys in the dressing room are not capable of doing it, we will try and get people who are better at doing it.

"There are too many games where we have done that. Hull at home, QPR at home, Blackburn at home. No one can tell me we weren't as good as Blackburn today, but we haven't put the ball in the back of the net. So, ultimately, we are not as good.

"Like I said to them in the dressing room. We are going to sustain our work defensively, giving up very, very little chances, we are going to sustain our work in terms of progression from back to front, but we are going to have to spend a lot more time over the next two weeks getting better in the final third."

The transfer window is, of course, open, and Cardiff are thought to be in the market for those forward positions.

But Morison's message to his players is simple: Don't give me a reason to replace you.

"The boys need help. We need to be better in the final third," he added.

"Like I said to the players in there, 'Don't make me go and get someone for the final third from elsewhere'."

So is he saying he's happy with defense and midfield as he is threatening to look elsewhere for a few who could make a difference up front?

Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:30 pm

Bluebird1977 wrote:He's 100% bang on in my opinion but who's he got coming in with zero wonga. For to long we have had managers saying nonsence after games atleast he's honest :roll:

Well we’ve already got one player this window, Drameh, now it’s looking increasingly likely Tommy Doyle will also be joining.

Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:06 pm

Hes only being honest. We are trying to play a system that some of these players aren't good enough for and some simply arnt performing. We all knew this transition was going to be difficult. We've literally gone from aimless hoofball to a more possession based game. It was never going to be a quick fix.

It's clear we need a bit more quality. Hopefully we see at least 1 more player come in and we can pull away from the bottom 3.

Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:01 am

His record is deteriorating game by game. He’s definitely beginning to feel the heat. His man management leaves a lot to be desired.

Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:21 am

He has made mistakes but who doesn't. He's inherited a really poor squad where some of his senior players are playing abysmal. I like his honesty I think Most of it is warranted.
Once he gets the balance right in midfield we'll have a better chance. I do think that'll have to involve new blood as they are all to similar and only Ralls his showing up consistently.
If this new boy cones in and he offers us the link between the midfield and the forwards that's a positive.
We are in a precarious position but not because of Morrison

Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:13 am

I wouldn't be surprised to see 4/5 players leave

Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:13 am

Its a bit pointless really.

You can't say that Collins and Harris do not work their bollox off, they just don't have that little but extra you need to make it in the championship. You can't motivate them to get that little bit extra. Harris may get better but you can't say that for Collins. We act as if Collins is a championship regular, he has scored 26 championship goals, sean morrison has 33

So it comes down to personnel and selection. For me its how you see NG. I see him as a full back who will end up as an outside centre half in a three. So defensive. That makes it NG, 3 centre halfs and 2 defensive midfielders, so 6 out of 10 are stoppers. Ralls is a genuine CM (not AMC) so 50/50 making it 6.5 out of 10 as defensive.
The new lad has pace but is starting at a deeper position, so is not on the front foot. Giles started well for us as a wide forward but faded as a wingback. In our team in the championship these guys are probably wide forwards as they are better than what we have.

Morison with the same first team management experience as you or I was given the job because of his knowledge of the club and the kids. He has reverted to McCarthy safety first system that has proved so disastrous.

A first team coach in the championship should be earned, its shouldn't be your first job.

Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:58 pm

llan bluebird wrote:Its a bit pointless really.

You can't say that Collins and Harris do not work their bollox off, they just don't have that little but extra you need to make it in the championship. You can't motivate them to get that little bit extra. Harris may get better but you can't say that for Collins. We act as if Collins is a championship regular, he has scored 26 championship goals, sean morrison has 33

So it comes down to personnel and selection. For me its how you see NG. I see him as a full back who will end up as an outside centre half in a three. So defensive. That makes it NG, 3 centre halfs and 2 defensive midfielders, so 6 out of 10 are stoppers. Ralls is a genuine CM (not AMC) so 50/50 making it 6.5 out of 10 as defensive.
The new lad has pace but is starting at a deeper position, so is not on the front foot. Giles started well for us as a wide forward but faded as a wingback. In our team in the championship these guys are probably wide forwards as they are better than what we have.

Morison with the same first team management experience as you or I was given the job because of his knowledge of the club and the kids. He has reverted to McCarthy safety first system that has proved so disastrous.

A first team coach in the championship should be earned, its shouldn't be your first job.

Good points on team selection. As for your last point, It seemed like a good idea to appoint SM at the time,,,, and so did the appointment of MM last year. Things can change very quickly in football, and not always for the better!

Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:28 pm

Fair assessment anyone that thought he could change the style overnight is nuts

Problem for him as that we don’t have money to sign permanent players so changing the systole long term is gonna be a nightmare

Time to give Watters a crack up top of Collins and Moore ain’t scoring we also need to play colwill at every opportunity with talks and wintle behind him no need to play 3 holding in midfield when we got 5 at the back transition between defence and attack needs to be better

Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:28 pm

Fair assessment anyone that thought he could change the style overnight is nuts

Problem for him as that we don’t have money to sign permanent players so changing the systole long term is gonna be a nightmare

Time to give Watters a crack up top of Collins and Moore ain’t scoring we also need to play colwill at every opportunity with talks and wintle behind him no need to play 3 holding in midfield when we got 5 at the back transition between defence and attack needs to be better