Advice on windows

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Advice on windows

Postby carlton58 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:52 pm

Looking to have some windows and doors replaced anybody know about safestyle windows?
carlton58

Advice on windows

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Advice on windows

Postby Mulberry » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:27 pm

I would suggest you don't rely on the TrustPilot reviews - a bit like a large Welsh car supermarket - loads of good reviews done when stuff is nice and shiny... then reality sets in when problems hit.

We are currently looking a windows and front door for our house - I know from speaking to a window fitter who did a neighbours a few months back - all firms are having supply issues and its also knocking on into measuring/sales visits.

We've decided to just get a feel for what we are after, in terms of type of window/door and then try a few local outfits in the new year - I'm sure season ticket holders might get a deal with a Cardiff based firm??

Might be worth giving them a shout if you're a ST holder - do a blind pricing first, then drop the ST thing in, so they don't have the chance to bump the initial ST price first. Yes, I know its a bit cynical, but I always do that when I have vouchers or whatnot - just to check I'm not getting tucked.

Good luck in the search!
Mulberry

Postby carlton58 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:21 pm

Thanks for the advice much appreciated
carlton58

Postby mugsy » Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:51 am

They are a pane!
mugsy

Postby ReesWestonSuperMare » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:19 am

I wouldnt trust people like safe style windows - or any other such business.
personally I would stick with finding a local window fitter. The 'big boys' wont give a toss - and are just looking for the big contracts. Usually they are great until there is a problem - then you wont see them for dust.

Bear in mind though - there are shortages everywhere at the moment. A mate of mine has had a window maker pull the plug on him twice now - as they cant get the materials in. In the end he has ordered the glass and then made the frames himself using a local joiner. It worked out more work for him - but he passed the cost on to the customer - they were happy to pay - as it was cheaper than the original window company quote. So Im guessing the window company markup on goods is quite high.

The biggest problem you'll find - is finding a local window fitter. Everyone is busy, and if they arent busy - you have to ask yourself why. Personally I would put the job off until next summer.
ReesWestonSuperMare

Postby goats » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:39 pm

Don’t use safe style, know a guy who used to work for them. There cheap windows are rubbish and the alternative is really expensive, they just want to get you to take out credit and spend Yeats paying it back. Gap are pretty reasonable if you are local.
goats

Postby willows2 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:26 pm

I've just had new windows put in by a local firm near me they were brilliant safestyle uk they did the hard sale and the price was astronomical I had 14 windows 2 doors 2 patio doors and they did it about 5 days I'd have on problem recommending them or giving you the number something to concider
willows2

Postby Sneggyblubird » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:50 pm

ReesWestonSuperMare wrote:I wouldnt trust people like safe style windows - or any other such business.
personally I would stick with finding a local window fitter. The 'big boys' wont give a toss - and are just looking for the big contracts. Usually they are great until there is a problem - then you wont see them for dust.

Bear in mind though - there are shortages everywhere at the moment. A mate of mine has had a window maker pull the plug on him twice now - as they cant get the materials in. In the end he has ordered the glass and then made the frames himself using a local joiner. It worked out more work for him - but he passed the cost on to the customer - they were happy to pay - as it was cheaper than the original window company quote. So Im guessing the window company markup on goods is quite high.

The biggest problem you'll find - is finding a local window fitter. Everyone is busy, and if they arent busy - you have to ask yourself why. Personally I would put the job off until next summer.

My advice is the opposite of above.Look at firms that have a track record especially as most double glazing firms are here today gone tomorrow. I've never used Safestyle but I think they've been around along time and will probably supply references off real people when asked.The ones that have been around a long time is because in the main they've got it right.
Sneggyblubird

Postby carlton58 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:59 pm

Thanks all your comments and advice have been helpful have clearer picture of what I am going to do now
carlton58

Return to General Chat