Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

The question keeps being asked ?

Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:43 am

Why did they sign Wintle to immediately let him go??
Some are saying their was not enough money in the tiny budget to pay for his wages?

The 'standout performer' Cardiff City shipped out who his new club hope don't come calling for again

The midfielder is currently on loan with the Seasiders and has impressed manager Neil Critchley, as well as the fans, so far this season

By Glen Williams

Blackpool's Ryan Wintle is impressing while out on loan from Cardiff City (Image: Getty Images)
Cardiff City midfielder Ryan Wintle is enjoying a terrific debut season in the Championship. Unfortunately for the Welsh capital city club, it's not for Cardiff.

The Bluebirds man signed a season-long loan deal with Blackpool at the start of the campaign and has not looked back. He has, in fact, been one of the Seasiders' most consistent performers this term.

His form has seen calls from Cardiff fans to recall him in January to bolster the Bluebirds' midfield options. Steve Morison recently said it might be more beneficial for Wintle to stay up at Bloomfield Road and complete a full Championship season before coming back "like a new signing" next summer.

"If Ryan Wintle is someone who is going to come back and play then there is an option for that," Morison said.

"If he's not going to play every week, from a football club point of view, him staying there and having 44 or 46 games under his belt for Blackpool, when he comes back at the start of next season he is worth so much more to us.

"He has come in with no Championship experience and then you're getting an experienced Championship midfielder who is like a new signing.

"It's weighing up the pros and cons."

Blackpool fans certainly don't want to see Wintle get recalled by his parent club in the new year.

So, to gain a greater insight into how Wintle is faring up in the north-west, we spoke with Blackpool Gazette correspondent MATT SCRAFTON about his progress...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: The question keeps being asked ?

Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:46 am

So, to gain a greater insight into how Wintle is faring up in the north-west, we spoke with Blackpool Gazette correspondent MATT SCRAFTON about his progress...

Q. Has Ryan Wintle impressed so far during his loan stint with Blackpool?

He’s been excellent. The fact he’s played almost every minute of every game since joining the club speaks volumes about how much Neil Critchley rates him.

He does a lot of work in the midfield areas that can often go unnoticed, but his efforts have certainly been appreciated by the fans who are desperate for him to stay for the remainder of the season and possibly beyond.

Given injuries to Kevin Stewart and Kenny Dougall often missing the odd game here and there due to international duty with Australia, Wintle’s contribution has been massive.

Q. What are his strengths and what are his weaknesses?

His work-rate is probably his most obvious strength. He covers so much ground yet never seems to tire.

He plays a very specific role at Blackpool, where - alongside his central midfield partner - they sit back a little and press, harry and attempt to break things up.

That’s not to say he can’t get forward, pick a pass and contribute with goals and assists, it’s just that we haven’t seen it yet due to the role he’s being asked to play.

Q. Is there anything about him that would excite Cardiff City fans, who have not seen a great deal of him?

Hopefully Cardiff aren’t impressed with him and he remains at Blackpool for the whole season!

In all seriousness, he’s shown with Blackpool why Cardiff were so keen to sign him during the summer. There’s not one thing in particular that would excite fans, it’s just his all-round game and unselfishness that has earned so much praise from the Blackpool fans.

Q. Could you see him getting recalled in January?

I certainly hope not. Judging by Steve Morison’s recent comments, it doesn’t seem likely either.

Obviously a lot can change between now and January, injuries, suspensions, loss of form etc, but I would tend to agree with Morison that there’s little point recalling him if he’s just going to sit and warm the Cardiff bench.

He’s a player who needs to be playing 40/45 games a season. What I think is of more interest is whether or not the Seasiders are looking to sign Wintle on a permanent basis.

Q. This is his first season in the Championship, from what you've seen does he have what it takes to thrive at this level?

Absolutely.

He’s been a perfect fit for what Blackpool want from their midfielders, but that doesn’t necessarily mean he’ll replicate that for Cardiff, who obviously play a different way.

But he’s been one of Blackpool’s standout and most consistent performers so far this season, so he’s certainly at home in the Championship.

Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:23 am

Interesting one this one.

I suppose the biggest question is whether Wintle is the type of midfielder Morison is looking for ?

I don't think any of us can comment on that because of the change in the way we play and us not seeing much of Wintle, we just don't know.

Personally, I would have him back and then start to see whether he can fit into the way Morison wants to play but if the manager already thinks he's going in a different direction then extending the loan or even selling him have to be considered.

I think we'll have to trust the new manager on this one.

Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:58 am

Sounds like he’s a very similar player to Ralls, Pack and Vaulks - not the type of creative player we need

Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:18 am

bluebird58 wrote:Sounds like he’s a very similar player to Ralls, Pack and Vaulks - not the type of creative player we need

Yes you might be right. Although aren't all three of those out of contract at the end of the season ? In which case Wintle will be a younger, cheaper and, possibly, better version. We'll certainly need a couple of midfielders who can sit deep.

Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:42 pm

He must be better than Vaulks, Bacuna and Pack.
Get him back in January along with Watters.

Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:03 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Why did they sign Wintle to immediately let him go??
Some are saying their was not enough money in the tiny budget to pay for his wages?

The 'standout performer' Cardiff City shipped out who his new club hope don't come calling for again

The midfielder is currently on loan with the Seasiders and has impressed manager Neil Critchley, as well as the fans, so far this season

By Glen Williams

Blackpool's Ryan Wintle is impressing while out on loan from Cardiff City (Image: Getty Images)
Cardiff City midfielder Ryan Wintle is enjoying a terrific debut season in the Championship. Unfortunately for the Welsh capital city club, it's not for Cardiff.

The Bluebirds man signed a season-long loan deal with Blackpool at the start of the campaign and has not looked back. He has, in fact, been one of the Seasiders' most consistent performers this term.

His form has seen calls from Cardiff fans to recall him in January to bolster the Bluebirds' midfield options. Steve Morison recently said it might be more beneficial for Wintle to stay up at Bloomfield Road and complete a full Championship season before coming back "like a new signing" next summer.

"If Ryan Wintle is someone who is going to come back and play then there is an option for that," Morison said.

"If he's not going to play every week, from a football club point of view, him staying there and having 44 or 46 games under his belt for Blackpool, when he comes back at the start of next season he is worth so much more to us.

"He has come in with no Championship experience and then you're getting an experienced Championship midfielder who is like a new signing.

"It's weighing up the pros and cons."

Blackpool fans certainly don't want to see Wintle get recalled by his parent club in the new year.

He will be on a fraction of what we pay the current players so can't see it being about money but its a win win for Cardiff he never played in the championship before now he's has and has done well so we can have him back, if it didn't work out we signed him on a free and could get a little bit of money for him ,great business from Cardiff tbh

Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:16 am

Personally, I think it's about whether we need him to stay up or not otherwise we won't want the extra wage. If we create a cushion before January, he'll stay put and come back in the summer to fill the gap of whatever one (or more) of our cm's we don't resign. It makes sense to keep him there if we don't need him!

Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:47 am

:thumbright: Save money on wages irrelevant of how good he is or if the manager at the time wanted to keep him getting rid of our only two natural wingers said it all to me what's been going on then loaning out whoever they can even if it ment paying half there wages to get them out. Cutting at its best from the top with or without the mangers saying that's my opinion. We had 8 odd youngsters who could cut it according to dalman then within a few weeks 4 left as they was offering 250 to 300 a week for them to stay. The same players who was apparently good enough :roll: I don't believe a word the club says tbh.

Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:12 am

From what I saw of Wintle during both carabao cup games this season I have no doubt there is a player in there but not one who would easily fit into a team set up by MM. When playing for us he looked a box to box midfielder who looked to bring the ball down and pass, and his passing looked to get the team moving forward as he naturally looks to play on the front foot. Marley Watkins scored a good goal because of his first instinct to play forward.

He looked strong in the tackle and when needed he was prepared to take one for the team, he got booked after Vaulks gave the ball away against Brighton, he also got into scoring positions in both games.

For me he didn't look like a midfielder MM would likely play, to forward thinking, but from what I've seen of him although not much he looks a player who will fir well into a team set up by SM. Given his clear passing ability and with Colwill making himself available in the no10 position I think he will thrive.

I would like to see him in a midfield with Ralls.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:45 pm

castleblue wrote:From what I saw of Wintle during both carabao cup games this season I have no doubt there is a player in there but not one who would easily fit into a team set up by MM. When playing for us he looked a box to box midfielder who looked to bring the ball down and pass, and his passing looked to get the team moving forward as he naturally looks to play on the front foot. Marley Watkins scored a good goal because of his first instinct to play forward.

He looked strong in the tackle and when needed he was prepared to take one for the team, he got booked after Vaulks gave the ball away against Brighton, he also got into scoring positions in both games.

For me he didn't look like a midfielder MM would likely play, to forward thinking, but from what I've seen of him although not much he looks a player who will fir well into a team set up by SM. Given his clear passing ability and with Colwill making himself available in the no10 position I think he will thrive.

I would like to see him in a midfield with Ralls.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

A future Whittingham?