Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

The Truth of Swim Away 1988 (inc. Part 2)

Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:57 am

The Truth of Swim Away 1988:

I was actually down by the front that night with about 100 Port Talbot & Neath Blues, who stood against about 400 Jacks.
Police eventually came dispersed us all and we all went back to our cars, 10 of the lads with us ranging from 15 yrs old -19yrs old were on their way to their cars when 100's of Jacks chased them down to the sea, where the 10 were run in to the sea, NO Jacks went in, eventually police came and dispersed the Jacks.
That night when the lads returned to the Station Hotel Pub in Port Talbot, we all laughed about it, thought it was quite funny, but to the Jacks they thought it was something big they had finally done to Cardiff :lol: :lol:

Last Sunday i saw women/blokes and kids all doing swim away to us in the streets after the game, most were to young to really know whats its really about and if you ask 99% of the Jacks they would not have a clue.

Re: The Truth of Swim Away 1988:

Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:31 am

The incident happened at close on 11 pm, so they weren't walking back to their cars.why would Cardiff fans be hanging around that part of Swansea that late after the match ?

The Cardiff fans from port Talbot, would regularly dive in 4 or 5 cars on non match days to look for trouble, one of them was called Anton, I believe. It was the same group plus a few more who ended up in Swansea bay.

Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:40 am

Thomas10 wrote:The incident happened at close on 11 pm, so they weren't walking back to their cars.why would Cardiff fans be hanging around that part of Swansea that late after the match ?

The Cardiff fans from port Talbot, would regularly dive in 4 or 5 cars on non match days to look for trouble, one of them was called Anton, I believe. It was the same group plus a few more who ended up in Swansea bay.

Yes Anton was their, they were in cars and so were we.

Plus the Station Hotel in Port Talbot use to stay open for us gone midnight.

100% their was only 10 Cardiff fans run in to the sea, by at least 10 times as many, We were with them 5 mins before and saw them back in Port Talbot.

Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:42 am

Cardiff used to take over Swansea everytime we went there.All they we ever good at was throwing stones at the buses then pegging it.It's 2021 now and all this is stuff is now where it should be-in the past. :bluebird:

Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:45 am

sir ninian wrote:Cardiff used to take over Swansea everytime we went there.All they we ever good at was throwing stones at the buses then pegging it.It's 2021 now and all this is stuff is now where it should be-in the past. :bluebird:

100% We did,and most honest Jacks admit that.

We would arrive 5hrs before kick off and take over all the pubs etc.

We would walk the streets and hardly see a Jack till an hr before kick off.

After the game it would go off everywhere.

Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:04 am

Also the truth is the Cardiff fans weren't 14 year olds, they were old enough to be lurking 90 minutes after the match ended, hoping to pick off small groups or individual Swansea fans.

Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:12 am

Thomas10 wrote:Also the truth is the Cardiff fans weren't 14 year olds, they were old enough to be lurking 90 minutes after the match ended, hoping to pick off small groups or individual Swansea fans.

Annis didn’t say they were 14, he said 15 - 19.
Sounds like you’re still trying to make out it was some kind of major accomplishment?

Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:12 am

It's Also a bit irrelevant the numbers that were involved that night in 1988.

Ccfc reporting it to the police, FA etc, will draw more attention and no doubt that other clubs fans will will also taunt Cardiff over the incident.

Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:15 am

Carpe Diem wrote:
Thomas10 wrote:Also the truth is the Cardiff fans weren't 14 year olds, they were old enough to be lurking 90 minutes after the match ended, hoping to pick off small groups or individual Swansea fans.

Annis didn’t say they were 14, he said 15 - 19.
Sounds like you’re still trying to make out it was some kind of major accomplishment?

No not into the hooligan culture. Just stating the fact that those particular Cardiff fans were old enough to go looking for trouble in Swansea

Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:27 am

Thomas10 wrote:The incident happened at close on 11 pm, so they weren't walking back to their cars.why would Cardiff fans be hanging around that part of Swansea that late after the match ?

That's your Swansea fans perspective is it?
Last edited by Bluebina on Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:28 am

Bluebina wrote:

That's your Swansea perspective is it?

What's yours then ?

Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:30 am

Thomas10 wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

That's your Swansea perspective is it?

What's yours then ?

Ok so you are a Swansea fan thought so.

This is what happened, although I wasn't there!

The Truth of Swim Away 1988:

I was actually down by the front that night with about 100 Port Talbot & Neath Blues, who stood against about 400 Jacks.
Police eventually came dispersed us all and we all went back to our cars, 10 of the lads with us ranging from 15 yrs old -19yrs old were on their way to their cars when 100's of Jacks chased them down to the sea, where the 10 were run in to the sea, NO Jacks went in, eventually police came and dispersed the Jacks.
That night when the lads returned to the Station Hotel Pub in Port Talbot, we all laughed about it, thought it was quite funny, but to the Jacks they thought it was something big they had finally done to Cardiff :lol: :lol:

Last Sunday i saw women/blokes and kids all doing swim away to us in the streets after the game, most were to young to really know whats its really about and if you ask 99% of the Jacks they would not have a clue.

Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:33 am

Thomas the jack, Mate i was also their that night, no not in the sea, but fighting you jacks on the front, i am a Neath lad and we were all younger in those days and the boys who got run in the seas were an average age of 17/18, i personally know them all and the odds were more than stacked against them. you lot could not do us when we had real numbers, so spout your crap else where.

Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:54 am

Ninian27 wrote:Thomas the jack, Mate i was also their that night, no not in the sea, but fighting you jacks on the front, i am a Neath lad and we were all younger in those days and the boys who got run in the seas were an average age of 17/18, i personally know them all and the odds were more than stacked against them. you lot could not do us when we had real numbers, so spout your crap else where.

I'm glad Swansea didn't have a big problem with football hooliganism like some clubs did. Or are you saying because you are a Cardiff fan, that makes you tougher than someone from Swansea. Anyway this whole thread and the fact we are still discussing the incident over 33 years later, is thanks to Cardiff for reporting the issue to the police. So thank them

Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:16 am

Thomas10 wrote:
Ninian27 wrote:Thomas the jack, Mate i was also their that night, no not in the sea, but fighting you jacks on the front, i am a Neath lad and we were all younger in those days and the boys who got run in the seas were an average age of 17/18, i personally know them all and the odds were more than stacked against them. you lot could not do us when we had real numbers, so spout your crap else where.

I'm glad Swansea didn't have a big problem with football hooliganism like some clubs did. Or are you saying because you are a Cardiff fan, that makes you tougher than someone from Swansea. Anyway this whole thread and the fact we are still discussing the incident over 33 years later, is thanks to Cardiff for reporting the issue to the police. So thank them

I'm not sure the reason we still talk about it is because Cardiff reported it it to the Police, although I do think that is daft. The reason it is still talked about is because your fans have been singing about it for years, and your players / squad do the "Swim away" celebration in almost every game that you score a meaningful goal.

Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:22 am

JasonFowler1991 wrote:
Thomas10 wrote:

I'm not sure the reason we still talk about it is because Cardiff reported it it to the Police, although I do think that is daft. The reason it is still talked about is because your fans have been singing about it for years, and your players / squad do the "Swim away" celebration in almost every game that you score a meaningful goal.

I dont think he thought his statement through very well :lol:

Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:22 am

Thomas10, you are on the wrong site go over to your own fans site, I doubt very much you attend jacks games though as you are living in Holt England. You are just on here as a windup, so go now!

Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:28 am

Igovernor wrote:Thomas10, you are on the wrong site go over to your own fans site, I doubt very much you attend jacks games though as you are living in Holt England. You are just on here as a windup, so go now!

Holt ? Never even heard of the place, let alone live there

Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:35 am

Thomas10 wrote:
Igovernor wrote:Thomas10, you are on the wrong site go over to your own fans site, I doubt very much you attend jacks games though as you are living in Holt England. You are just on here as a windup, so go now!

Perhaps you have heard of Finchley!

Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:55 am

Escott1927 wrote:
JasonFowler1991 wrote:
Thomas10 wrote:

I dont think he thought his statement through very well :lol:

Another Swansea dope :laughing6:

Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:03 pm

Igovernor wrote:
Thomas10 wrote:

Vaguely, but certainly don't live there

Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:22 pm

Thomas10 wrote:
Igovernor wrote:
Thomas10 wrote:

Last post from me you are definitely living at one of those locations, as per your IP address :wave:

Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:49 pm

Good to hear your side of the story Annis and believe you 100%.

Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:52 pm

Igovernor wrote:
Thomas10 wrote:
Igovernor wrote:
Thomas10 wrote:

Last post from me you are definitely living at one of those locations, as per your IP address :wave:

Ok. Well I'm in Llanelli, so don't know what you are looking at, but whatever it is , it's wrong

Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:55 pm

Annis is 100% right on his statement - all fact. :bluebird:

Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:30 pm

It’s interesting the people in the surrounding area doing the swim away action, it really shows the anti Cardiff feeling in Swansea.
It must stem from them thinking we get everything as the capital, which is mostly true.BTW
It is embarrassing that it has become some kind of result when so few Cardiff fans were involved.
Maybe we should have a song from when we overtook Swansea and hundreds if not thousands went into hiding before and after the game, fans and locals.
I’m not glorifying this FV , just think it is a very cheap shot and the background is embarrassing that they go on about such a minor skirmish

Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:41 pm

Something the jacks hang on to,bit sad really,but each to their own

Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:56 pm

It's Jackwashing the past only selecting the odd isolated incident in which they believe that they achieved something.

Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:12 pm

Igovernor wrote:
Thomas10 wrote:
Igovernor wrote:
Thomas10 wrote:

I'm not being funny mate but using admin privileges to look up posters IP addresses, then posting their location on here is poor form.

Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:30 pm

Forever Blue wrote:The Truth of Swim Away 1988:

Never a truer review of real events... :clap:

It certainly goes to show how little (even the old) Jacks have in their locker that chasing developing kids into the sea is amongst their more memorable 'boasts' :roll: :oops:

Along with throwing seats at families and OAP's of both sexes also back in the 80's, whilst not 'fronting up' to some pretty angry Bluebirds at the time, makes them nothing but embarrassing as a 'force' in football circles at that time

But, maybe in mitigation, there some pretty long, cold nights around the camp fires of Swandinium, so it's only natural the stories of bygone days will be exaggerrated (cue Fusilier52) by time itself and new angles to what actually occurred are added

One lesson learned from the event is that either the 'Jacks' aren't so brave at the point of engagement or they simply need to learn to swim...! ;) :lol: :lol: